T Nation

Overall Calorie Intake

I’m curious as to what your overall calorie intake looks like when you’re bulking or cutting at X amount of body weight. I’m sitting at about 3,000 calories a day and I’m still adding size, even at 230+ lbs. Compared to a lot of people I see on here, that seems extremely low. I plan on cutting in about a month from now and am wondering how many Cals I should do it with. 2-2.5k seems so low but I feel like that may be necessary to cut fat.

If 3000 Calories is working for you to add size, then stay with it. Everyone is different.

Also don’t start at 2000. Way too low. Start at maybe 2700-2500

[quote]Rocky2 wrote:
If 3000 Calories is working for you to add size, then stay with it. Everyone is different.

Also don’t start at 2000. Way too low. Start at maybe 2700-2500[/quote]

x2, I was able to drop to 240 (and I could have gone lower) using around 3300 cals so I’m like you in that regard. You really should try to eat as much as possible while still losing fat, it gives you wiggle room. If you drop too low too quick, your metabolism will slow and when you stall you really can’t drop cals any lower without feeling like total shit. I’d say start around 27-2800 and see what happens. I typically dropped 150 cals every 2 weeks if that helps you formulate a “plan of attack”.

Alright I’ll definitely start around 2.7k and see where that gets me. Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

good advice. i gained on about 3000 per day. just backing off a hair was enough to drop close to ten pounds. since then, i have slowly lowered cals. i am currently at 1800 on non-workout days and around 2100 on workout days. went from 207 to 175. im about done… gonna start slowly adding till i find maintenance. Ill keep i there for the summer.