T Nation

Over Training and Low Testosterone

Recently I got bloodwork done (twice) and both times came back revealing that I had low T (about a month apart).

For the past few months I've been doing 4 days of lifting (for about 45 mins each day) and 3 days of running (occasionally running a 5k twice a day). I've also being doing 45 minutes 3 times a week of cycling. I'm on a diet, so my calories are low (somewhere between 2k and 2.5k).

So I'm wondering, how possible is it that my low T is because of overtraining?

My next blood test is in two months (or so) and I'm going to ease up on the cardio and maybe eat a couple hundred more calories.

I emailed my doctor about this potential cause, but she just emphasized that I needed to keep eating right and exercising because I was still overweight. She didn't seem to understand what I was talking about with over training, which is distressing...

Also, anyone have any ideas how long it would take for my levels to reset (if overtraining is the case)?

Overtraining was part of the equation in my hypogonadism. Not to scare you, but it's been months and I haven't "reset." But I had some other factors going on as well. I would give it a few months. Eat enough calories and make sure you take in enough fat and cholesterol. Testosterone production is LDL-dependent.

Lab numbers and ranges would be helpful

Taking any supplements? Any OTC testosterone "boosters" such as tribulus?

I'm not taking any boosters. I'm taking creatine, taurine, fish oil, glucosamine/condroden/MSM and CMO.

Here's my initial thread: http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_senior/low_test_advice?pageNo=1#bottom

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL 2.77 (I believe the range is: 1.75-7.81 Ng/mL )

TESTOSTERONE FREE % 2.64 1.1-2.8 %
TESTOSTERONE FREE 73.1 35-155 PG/ML

FSH 3.0 1.6-11.0 MIU/ML
LH 3.2 1.7-8.6 MIU/ML
PROLACTIN 6.78 0.47-18.0 NG/ML

What were you doing that caused you to "overtrain"?

Lifting 6 days a week combined with cardio at least 3x/week. My problems started after using tribulus terrestris for several months, but the overtraining really sent me over the edge. I've had low testosterone now for about a year. It has been brutal. But I am starting a trial of HCG monotherapy so hopefully I will be back on my feet soon.