Over-Arching on Presses

When I do Military Presses, I feel like a good deal of pressure in the middle of my back and I feel like I’ve got my chest too high and I’m over-arching. When I try to duplicate this position in front of a mirror without a weight in my hand, It doesn’t look like I’m over-arching.

So what weak points do I need to bring up in order to not feel as much pressure in my mid-low back? I don’t think it’s an Upper Back or Lat issue because my Chinning and Rowing strength is pretty far ahead of my other lifts.

Or is this just a sensation that’s part of the lift? Should I not be too concerned?

tighten up your stomach as you press, then you will need to bend your upper body back at either the hips, knees or ankles… one way or another you will need to adjust the center of gravity of your whole body and weight system to keep the weight over mid foot. once the weight is over your head you can move forward and press out.

I doubt you have any huge muscle or strength imbalances

The easiest way to get past this is to offset your feet one in front of the other very much like a boxing stance and press from there.

You WILL feel the difference.

If you squeeze your glutes and tighten your abs, your hips will be straighter, instead of tilted forward. Which means the curve in your lower back will be less extreme, and your back won’t be overextended.

So: squeeze those glutes and tighten those abs!

[quote]herbs wrote:
The easiest way to get past this is to offset your feet one in front of the other very much like a boxing stance and press from there.

[/quote]

Ooooooooo… definitely gotta try that next time

[quote]herbs wrote:

[/quote]

And throw your hips out of alignment and potentially create worse problems?

I’m sorry but if Alexeyev can press over 500lb with his feet together there’s no reason the OP can’t do the same.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
herbs wrote:

I’m sorry but if Alexeyev can press over 500lb with his feet together there’s no reason the OP can’t do the same.[/quote]

I’ve seen the video, there was a knee bend! NO LIFT! OP is screwed, sorry bro

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
Hanley wrote:
herbs wrote:

I’m sorry but if Alexeyev can press over 500lb with his feet together there’s no reason the OP can’t do the same.

I’ve seen the video, there was a knee bend! NO LIFT! OP is screwed, sorry bro

[/quote]

Hahah yeah, may as well just give up now.

[quote]dizzy101 wrote:

So: squeeze those glutes and tighten those abs![/quote]

I knew it was something obvious like that. I won’t be doing them for another 5 days or so but right now I when I squeeze my glutes as hard as possible I can’t replicate the over-arching sensation but I can if I don’t squeeze.

I would try staggering my feet but then it really isn’t a Press. Gotta treat the Competitive lifts like competitive lifts. I’m convinced that theres no safety benefit in techniques that deviate from the rules for a Press, Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Snatch, or Clean & Jerk.

Technique on Curls, Lateral Raises, Extensions, and Rows is just whatever gives you the greatest results. Some people do better doing cheating Lateral Raises with slow negatives and others do better with strict, high reps. Some people build better backs when they make the Barbell Row a full body lift while others do better with lighter weights and slower, more deliberate negatives.

But you can’t mess with the competitive lifts to an extent where you’re not even following the rules anymore. Sure, there’s some variation for hand and feet placement that the rules allow for. But theres no competitive lift that would be made safer if the regulations for it were changed.