Over and Under-Rated Movements

Overrated : Flat Bench
Decline Bench

Underrated : Toes raised Snatch-grip straight-leg deadlift

Overrated: Back Squat
Underrated: Bicep Curls!

Overrated: Smith machine bench press - I see this one at my gym a lot and it annoys me
Wrist curls
Leg curls
Leg press
Dumbbell flyes

Underrated: Military presses
Romanian deadlifts
T-Bar Rows (free weight version)
Partial ROM lifts

The preacher curl is underrated.

[quote]sebbie wrote:
Overrated: Smith machine bench press - I see this one at my gym a lot and it annoys me
Wrist curls
Leg curls
Leg press
Dumbbell flyes

Underrated: Military presses
Romanian deadlifts
T-Bar Rows (free weight version)
Partial ROM lifts[/quote]

At least for me benching on the smith is amazing in terms of moving appreciable weight and feeling the chest doing a ton of work. It also is less bothersome on my shoulders than BB. I honestly think it’s typically underrated rather than overrated.

Underrated:
Calf Raises
Power cleans
Squatting atg
Overrated:
wrist curls (buff forearms wtf?)
Bent over row (i’m not a fan)

Under-rated: Everything and anything for rear delts

I love how so many people have such a problem with curls and bench press. It’s like we have to be so anti mainstream that those movements suck.

Give me a fucking break. I’d love to see people look like shit because they have decent quads and a back, but no chest and arms.

Bodybuilding is about balance and everyone seems to be a leg and back junkie nowadays and people who directly train arms and chest get scrutinized. Bunch of losers.

Then again I want to be an absolute freak, so if you want to look out of proportion or plain average, more power to you.

underrated

pullover floor press
zecher squats
keystone deadlifts
cleans
curl grip deadlift
farmers walk with barbell
actual wood chopping
full contact twists
isometrics

just lifting violently in general, seems like nobody wants to lift explosively at any gym i’ve ever been to. but i always ask how the fuck do you move 315 from your waist to your shoulders with a slow controlle motion?

also warming up is overrated

maybe its just me and my retard strength, but i’m jakked up 4/7 and always ready to go

i’m kinda paranoid, so my logic is
" if someone attacks me, i’m sure they wont care if i’m properly warmed up,so i better train my body to be ready to defend at all times, and be ready to light it up on demand

Whoever wrote bulgarian split squats being underrated hit the nail on the head!

I’ve replaced squatting with those completely. One of my lumbar vertebrates is fused to my pelvis (genetic condition) and squatting just wrecks havoc on my lower back. Bulgarian split squats are absoloutely amazing. Talk about blasting the glutes + hamstrings. Although some direct quad work is necessary since they dont hit tham as much as traditional squatting.

I’m just gonna throw this out there, but I’m willing to bet that a lot of the moves mentioned as overrated by certain people are lifts they’re not very good at to begin with.

based on what I see at the gym at lift, I’d say any/all lwoer body work is under rated.

Overrated? I would say anything that doesn’t work for you…or causes pain.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Overrated

Curls
ATG squats
RDL
Dips[/quote]

No.

Over-rated… Upright row, wrist curls, anything to do with a bosu f*cking ball.

Under-rated… Good mornings, front squats, deadlift/squat variations in general.

Underrated -

Behind the neck push press.
Oly Block Pull Variations.
Decline Bench Press.

Overrated -

Power cleans
Cable Cross Overs

Underrated:

Stiff LEgs, love what they do to my hams

Bent Cable Tricep Extensions, hands down one of the best tricep builders ive ever done - thing is no one knows about these

Hack Squat

1 arm machine rows

Overrated

overhead press
pec deck
horizontal leg press
lat pulldowns

[quote]Tumbles wrote:

At least for me benching on the smith is amazing in terms of moving appreciable weight and feeling the chest doing a ton of work. It also is less bothersome on my shoulders than BB. I honestly think it’s typically underrated rather than overrated.[/quote]

I suppose that may well be true, but from my experiance at least people end up using it as an ego lift as you can move more weight on it anyway, and it is still pretty easy to injure yourself on it (look up pattern overload syndrom). If you’ve got a valid use for it that’s cool, but those are the reasons why I put it in the overrated.

Overrated
Barbell bench press
Biceps curls
Back extensions
Neck press
Most bodyweight only exercises

Underrated
Weighted chinups/pullups
Weighted dips
Leg press

how are bicep curls overrated?

when it comes to your biceps you have two choices:

1. Curl

2. Have small biceps

I disagree. My biceps are proportional to the rest of my body, and I hardly ever do curls. Heavy complex lifts like weighted pullups have provided plenty of stimulation for muscle growth.

Not that there is anything wrong with curls, I just see a lot of guys doing them religiously while ignoring other lifts that would provide more balanced growth.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I disagree. My biceps are proportional to the rest of my body, and I hardly ever do curls. Heavy complex lifts like weighted pullups have provided plenty of stimulation for muscle growth.

Not that there is anything wrong with curls, I just see a lot of guys doing them religiously while ignoring other lifts that would provide more balanced growth.[/quote]

Your biceps are o.k. bro, but some people aren’t looking for biceps alittle bigger than average.

Your not going to build 20+ inch biceps without doing direct armwork including fucking curls every week. I don’t know why this comes up in every other thread.

Ronnie does curls
Arnold does curls
Jay does curls
Levrone does curls
Dexter does curls
J Jackson does curls
Branch does curls
David Henry does curls
Toney Freeman does curls
Silvio does curls
Darrem does curls
Shawn does curls
Wheeler does curls
Dorian does curls
Haney does curls
Heath does curls
Kai does curls
Columbo does curls
Dugdale does curls
Priest does curls
Even Mariuz does curls

Everyone with big arms curls religiously. The majority of those guys besides a few like Dorian and Dugdale, who prefer incline bench, flat bench press religiously too.
Benching 500 pounds and curling the 100 pound dumbells for reps produces a big chest and arms.

I’ll tell you the overrated exercises, serratus crunches, power cleans, bulgarian split squats and all these crazy fucking “secret” exercises everyone is doing and gasp what pros are doing them?? What pros honestly do power clean and split squats regularly. I can’t name 5. I’m talking IFBB pro top contenders.

The underrated exercises are the basics like Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Curls, Rows and whatever else that everyone shys away from now because they’re afraid to do what is proven to work best. These exercises are underrated because the produce the best results. I don’t know what runs through peoples minds.

Underrated:

Rack pulls. Nothing works for my back quite like them.

Step-ups. Great posterior chain shit.

I wouldn’t really say there are overrated movements because it really depends on what your goals are. Most of the lifts preached around here ARE worth doing (squats, deads, etc.)…

If this was “most effective vs. most ineffective” I would probably nominate some of the more petty isolation work that isn’t necessary for beginners/intermediates (which you invariably see them doing anyway).