Over-Analyzing Is Killing Me

[quote]L-Dizzle wrote:
Thanks for your input. I actually don’t know much about OCD, so I’ll definitely try to learn more about it. ADHD and ADD I read and heard about some, even thought about Asperger syndrome, but I did a test online and it showed that I don’t have Asperger’s syndrome, though I don’t value online tests. I’ve never been to a doctor about this either.
[/quote]

See a doctor for fucks sake. If you are concerned enough about this that you have researched stuff like ADHD and Aspergers dont you think that some professional advice may be appropriate rather than seeking this advice from a bodybuilding website.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:

Lateralus is one the greatest songs ever written, and Tool rocks. Now lets just skip along to may 2nd so I can get the new album ^^.
[/quote]

I have been able to score myself a copy being released on 29 April in Australia. Cant wait.

Try it and find out.

The majority of people who still do this have no life experience. They have no point of reference for anything they are doing, so they ask questions until they are blue in the face. Sometimes, it’s a defence mechanism allowing a person to never make a mistake because they never do anything.

I would experiment with a heap of stuff. What’s the best number of reps for your squat? How about you find out through actually trying something. What weight? Fucking find out. How? By actually doing it. You will waste more time by asking pointless questions about shit that doesn’t matter than you will ever waste by getting experience.

It is only by actually experiencing things that you will grow as a person. Sure ask questions, but doing something should be your priority.

I really wonder if you just have a perfectionist complex. Meaning, you have a fear of failure and need to over analyze everything to guard yourself from failing. It makes sense and there are plenty of people that do that. On the surface, it appears like it isn’t a problem. I mean think about it, keep a perfectly clean home or need to know everything. But those are safe guards to insecurity.

The solution? Live a little bit more of life. Take things with a grain of salt. Look around and realize everybody fails, but how they react is all differently. You have to be able to be comfort with youself even after failure.

Personally i cannot do this without a religious spin on it but I’ll spare everyone. I just know without my beliefs I couldnt get very far on my own.

[quote]WVN wrote:
I tend to over analyze things as well, but I wouldn’t say it is due to OCD. Much I would attribute to just being too cautious, afraid of uncertainty, whatever you care to call it. It’s like you’re paralyzed by too many options sometimes and in the end you make NO choice. Miss out on a lot of living that way.

I’ve gotten over it by simply realizing that if you pick A over B, truly nothing terrible is going to happen! Worst case , if you’re not happy with the choice you made whatever it may be, you fix the situation and don’t make that choice next time.

[/quote]

Too many options is what bothers me as well… Not being able to pick one. And I’m afraid of uncertainty as well. I mean, I don’t like it when too many things are uncertain.

[quote]MrChill wrote:
Start calculating your ROI: Return On Investment.

Paralysis-by-over-analysis stopped real quick for me, at work at least, when I realized that most people won`t go the the length of analysis that I did. Searching for the lowest common denominator, cover-your-ass, or politically correct answer always seemed to come out of the (promoted) office politicians. After a couple of deceptions, one adapts.

I am an introvert and this sort of over-analysis takes over when I have no clear goals.

Run your life like you would run a small business. Focus on what gets rewarded (results). Yes, there will still be self-talk. But having clear goals cuts it by many times, and the internal chatter is solution-obsessed, so it doesn`t go into endless loops.

I learned that 2 seconds ago.(Will Smith in Wild Wild West remake). Now that`s ROI.[/quote]

Thanks. Good idea.

[quote]ShaunW wrote:
L-Dizzle - better check your star signs!
are you a libra or virgo? - if so submit to a lifetime of overanalysis and procrastination.
I got it bad - i’m on the cusp between the 2!
Sorry no help there, but at least you can resign yourself to it!
[/quote]

I’m a taurus, I guess that would mean I’m stubborn as hell… Which I am.

[quote]helga wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:
Thanks for your input. I actually don’t know much about OCD, so I’ll definitely try to learn more about it. ADHD and ADD I read and heard about some, even thought about Asperger syndrome, but I did a test online and it showed that I don’t have Asperger’s syndrome, though I don’t value online tests. I’ve never been to a doctor about this either.

See a doctor for fucks sake. If you are concerned enough about this that you have researched stuff like ADHD and Aspergers dont you think that some professional advice may be appropriate rather than seeking this advice from a bodybuilding website.[/quote]

Well it’s not like I’ve done a lot of research, just some finding out. I’m 20, about to be 21 soon, if that has effect on the situation. I’ve thought about seeing a doctor, haven’t got around to it. My father is the same way, he thinks a lot. Just that he seems to be going somewhere with his thoughts, at least when you take his accomplishments into consideration.

[quote]Massif wrote:
Try it and find out.

The majority of people who still do this have no life experience. They have no point of reference for anything they are doing, so they ask questions until they are blue in the face. Sometimes, it’s a defence mechanism allowing a person to never make a mistake because they never do anything.

I would experiment with a heap of stuff. What’s the best number of reps for your squat? How about you find out through actually trying something. What weight? Fucking find out. How? By actually doing it. You will waste more time by asking pointless questions about shit that doesn’t matter than you will ever waste by getting experience.

It is only by actually experiencing things that you will grow as a person. Sure ask questions, but doing something should be your priority.[/quote]

Here’s the thing. I’m not afraid to try new things. Actually, I like trying new things as I get bored quite easily.
But when I try a different way of doing something, if the effect is the same, I’ll start wondering, if I could do it differently, tweak it a little. It’s kind of hard to explain.
I also don’t like wasting time, that could be my culprit.

[quote]Tank53 wrote:
I really wonder if you just have a perfectionist complex. Meaning, you have a fear of failure and need to over analyze everything to guard yourself from failing. It makes sense and there are plenty of people that do that. On the surface, it appears like it isn’t a problem. I mean think about it, keep a perfectly clean home or need to know everything. But those are safe guards to insecurity.

The solution? Live a little bit more of life. Take things with a grain of salt. Look around and realize everybody fails, but how they react is all differently. You have to be able to be comfort with youself even after failure.

Personally i cannot do this without a religious spin on it but I’ll spare everyone. I just know without my beliefs I couldnt get very far on my own. [/quote]

I believe I’ve made some decisions in life that were not very good. Not that I’ve fucked anything up, as in when people usually say “I’ve made some bad decisions in my life”, not that way, nothing that serious. Just some things that I wish I would’ve done differently. It could be that I don’t want to waste a lot more time making the wrong decisions. So maybe it is a fear a failure in a way, but not the kind that totally paralyses me and leads me to doing absolutely nothing, not like that.

As for being a perfectionist, I wouldn’t call myself that. I don’t really strive to keep my pad clean, I don’t need to know everything about everything. My father actually tells me I’m not punctual enough.
I do like to do my job properly though.
And I’m always looking for the best, easiest, most efficient, quickest way to do things, which in a lot of cases, isn’t a good way to go. I can be watching a movie just to wait for it to end, for example.

I might also add that my goal is to have everything going well for me for an extended period of time. I don’t think I’ve ever had that, not for a long period of time at least. To have my social life, athletics, school/work, family matters is what I’m aiming for. I guess that’s quite of lot to ask from myself, but there are people who are happy with their life. I want to be one of them.

i react to failure by analyzing what I did wrong and try to improve on that. Hence my current situation.

And oh yeah, no need to spare me with your religious spins, don’t know about others though.

This is somewhat bullshit but it helped me understand a bit why I over-analyse things.

You are probably INTP or ISTP.

[quote]ill wrote:
This is somewhat bullshit but it helped me understand a bit why I over-analyse things.

You are probably INTP or ISTP.[/quote]

Just finished the test. The test indicates that my type is ESFP. Didn’t read the descriptions but too carefully afterwards, but I’ll get back on then soon.