Over 70 and Recently New

Hey chesbob;

I am 68, (feel like 38), have been retired six years now and exercise continuously. I have done 2-3-4-5 day splits and full-body workouts throughout the years (but now, full-body workouts are a little too taxing on me). These are usually 4-6-8-10-12 week programs that I do with a lot of variants and I take a week to ten days off after each program. Here is my secret to a good workout:

I make sure I have a night time protein shake and good nights sleep.
Up at 5:00 am.
Light breakfast and a protein shake with BCAAs
I workout at home in the early a.m., between 7-9:00.
I take my supps with adequate time before my workout.
Have my pre-planned routine ready to go, along with water mixed w/ a carbohydrate complex, towel and chalk.
Turn my radio on to good EZ listening jazz.
Do my routine with all the intensity I can.
Try to keep my workouts under an hour.
Try to eat clean as I can.
Plenty of water, Vitamins, Protein shakes and Omega oils throughout the day.
Adequate rest between workouts.

There are times when I awake and do not feel like exercising but, once I get going I am fine. It seems when I have these off days of not wanting to workout, that is when I seem to have my best workouts.

[quote]jram wrote:
Hey chesbob;

I am 68, (feel like 38), have been retired six years now and exercise continuously. I have done 2-3-4-5 day splits and full-body workouts throughout the years (but now, full-body workouts are a little too taxing on me). These are usually 4-6-8-10-12 week programs that I do with a lot of variants and I take a week to ten days off after each program. Here is my secret to a good workout:

I make sure I have a night time protein shake and good nights sleep.
Up at 5:00 am.
Light breakfast and a protein shake with BCAAs
I workout at home in the early a.m., between 7-9:00.
I take my supps with adequate time before my workout.
Have my pre-planned routine ready to go, along with water mixed w/ a carbohydrate complex, towel and chalk.
Turn my radio on to good EZ listening jazz.
Do my routine with all the intensity I can.
Try to keep my workouts under an hour.
Try to eat clean as I can.
Plenty of water, Vitamins, Protein shakes and Omega oils throughout the day.
Adequate rest between workouts.

There are times when I awake and do not feel like exercising but, once I get going I am fine. It seems when I have these off days of not wanting to workout, that is when I seem to have my best workouts.

[/quote]

Have you always worked out or were you a late starter ?

Actually, I have worked out off and on for years but, never consistently. My work kind of prohibited me from working out seriously as I used to travel 42-45 weeks per year.

chsbob, have you had your tesosterone levels checked and, if so, what are they? You can’t build much muscle if your natural juice levels are subnormal.

PS. 61 here and been lifting almost 50 years.

alot of respect…i only hope i still have the motivation to be doing this when im 50+

I’m 37 and this is very motivating!!

I’m just 37 too. So I’m too young to reply to this thread. I’m going to anyway.

You are never too old - it will improve you, improve you life, and help you live longer.

Just don’t push too hard, eat right, and be safe.

You older guys working out are an inspiration. The only thing more inspirational was when I was running and getting tired. I saw a man on a walker heading out. I saw him heading back after the 6/10 of a mile point - he does over a mile every day - at 90 something on a walker. That was motivational.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Heres an idea: Thats awesome! [/quote]

QFT!

you guys rule