Over 70 and Going at It Like I Was 40, Help

Hi Greg. A friend alerted me to your post. i’m 77, but not the same as you, inasmuch as i don’t hit the gym anywhere as much or as hard.
As i got old, i found twice a week was good, to hit a rotation of heavy lifts, but still recover and get stronger.
So every workout, i’m squatting and pulling and pushing. But if i deadlift, i don’t squat that workout. Every workout i snatch and clean and jerk and do calves, biceps, rear delts, and ab roller.
Just sayin’. If you can do your volume and frequency and still recover and build, more strength to you. But this old turkey knows his limitations, and continues to adjust as he goes.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding, the whole reason that I shared my story was because I really can’t find anyone in their 70’s that have workout intensity that I do . I have been working out since I was 17 without many breaks except for injuries or work , actually reached my peak in my mid 50’s. When I retired I moved and the gym is 35 miles away so I hit it 3 times a week because of distance doing full body and somewhat low volume. Slowly but surely I increased volume, sets and variety of exercises to the point of overload without even realizing it, so I wasn’t recuperating. When I got on this site and forums the feedback I was getting showed me I was doing too much even for a younger man. The other day I changed to a good split routine and forgot how much better I liked it , most my training years that’s all I did was split not full body , that was fairly new to me and I did it the last 3 years. I think I’ll be fine with the new routine :+1:

4 Likes