Over 50s, How Often Do You Train?

Title says it! plus has your training frequency reduced stayed the same or even increased?

1 Like

Every other day when doing a divided schedule.
Squat, bench, DL, press.
Every 3rd day when doing more of a full body program.
Squat/ bench then DL/press.
I do some sort of rows and " core " triceps work and push-ups most training days.
Great question!

1 Like

Not over 50 yet, but at 47 my training frequency has gone up to 6 days/week, but with less volume.

Currently using:

Takes no more than 40 minutes per day, hits all the muscles just right, and CT knows what he’s talking about :slight_smile:

1 Like

Almost 55 here. Left to my own devices, I will train every day (either weights, weights + brief cardio, or long cardio). I enjoy it, am a bit of a stimulus addict, and also more than a bit compulsive. All that said, I’m now working with a trainer who feels training every day is way too much for most people, but especially someone my age. He has me doing about an hour of weightlifting + HIIT 4 days/week, with strict orders to rest on the other days. We’ve only been working together a week, so it’s too early for me to give feedback on the program. But I have to say, his logic makes sense.

1 Like

Fellow stimulus addict here. 4, sometimes 5 early morning 40 minute workouts per week. Full body workouts over 2 days, about 2 exercises per major body part. and if energy permits, an abbreviated full body workout 5th day (Wednesday).

1 Like

Westside style conjugte - Sunday (DE upper) , Monday (ME Lower), Wednesday (ME Upper), Friday (DE Lower).

in my youth i was pretty innflexible in my training and trained up 6 days a week. now that im 52 and a little wiser, i just make sure i hit all the major muscle groups each week. If schedules dictate that i cant go to the gym, i dont freak out anymore.

with the crowds on monday at my gym, i do legs on sunday, chest on tuesday, back on thursday, and arms on friday.

At 57 I still train pretty close to as I always have. 4 days a week using a 3 day split which normally works like 2 on 1 off and repeat with cardio on the other 3 days. My workouts are shorter though like 1 hour to 1.25 hour.

I’m almost 46 and have been seeing great results with this strategy. This article was super helpful.

I am getting ready to turn 54 and have been training 4 days per week for about 7 years. I agree with the less volume higher frequency ideology. I pretty much live Wendler’s 5/3/1 program and it’s variations. I train every body part 4 times per week, I just monitor the intensity. I have made tremendous progress using this type of training. Despite being on TRT, I have to meticulously monitor my nutrition, sleep, and energy levels.

With the “Best Damn Workout?”

I’m 54 and finally think I know what I’m doing after training for 30 odd years. My volume has increased but I concentrate much more on rest and nutrition nowadays. I train 4-5 times a week and have recently made the switch to a lighter weight/increased reps style of training due to an accumulation of injuries making it difficult to justify going heavy. My joints feel much better, my weight has gone down and fitness levels increased so all working out ok! If I’m being honest I enjoy training more now than I ever did!

1 Like

54 years old

Squat or deadlift one day

Bench one day

Accessories one day

61 yo, 3x/week.

531 variant → https://forums.t-nation.com/t/powerlifting-coaching-programming/229011/15?

Yes, “The Best Damn Workout” … well … using it as a starting point. Following the basic principles, but not exactly the same workouts as the article outlines. Part of it has been the fact that I was recovering from knee surgery so I was limited by my surgeon to no squatting for 6 weeks. After that, I was rebuilding so I used 5x5’s on my squats and 5x3’s on my DL’s for a while without the drop sets to build back up slowly. Incorporated the drop sets on my upper body exercises, however. And, I don’t like the leg press so once I was cleared to squat again, I dropped the leg press from my normal routine. I also have calves that need a lot of work so I included calf work on push days as well, usually supersetting them with one of the upper body exercises for time purposes.

I’m only in my 1st full week of it but had tried some of the movements last week since they were new to me.
One thing I like most is that it’s 6 days per week.
Then there’s the time for the workouts usually not taking over 40 minutes
Finally the set/rep scheme along with the mTor & other types are challenging & willhold my interest.

It seems I’m a stimulus addict so this program gives me the daily “fix” I need while forcing me to take the 7th day off - it works for my style of doing things. CT obviously knows WTH he’s doing too and I expect to see some good results.

Now back to the OP topic…

6 days/week may not work or be ideal for many people 40+, but I have to think many of us like to incorporate our training into daily schedules so depending on our work situation 5-6 days per week probably works well for most.

For me, I’m retired and need stuff to do anyway so 6/week is perfect. Aniliried factor in of course but I have to think that some strenuous exercise should be as close to a daily thing as we can make it.

1 Like

Age 76. Twice a week. About 35 sets - breathing squats, olympic lifts, pulls, presses, some isolation flexing stuff.

4 Likes

Age 55 - 4 times a week in winter, 3 in summer. Nice to get out and run some when its nice out. Layne Norton PH3 program which focuses on the big three. Been doing it for a year or two and seen some nice increases. It has some bodybuilding splits in there so you don’t tear yourself up too bad.
My issue, losing fat layer on hands and starting to feel it. Broke down and got some gloves for benching. Anyone else have this and ideas?
@76now - way to be - I have been wondering what I can do when I get to my 70’s - I still want to be doing heavy lifting…

1 Like

Thick bar training, with thick bars or so called fat gripz type device

Every day. But no more than two exercises per day. I found that doing 3+ exercises was too taxing and that I was focussing merely on getting through the workout , at the expense of proper technique and effort for each set . For example , I do squats Mon-Wed-Fri but nothing else on those days.This allows me to go all-out on squats , unburdened by thinking I need to save energy for my next exercise. Is this ideal ? For most , probably not.But it works for me.

1 Like