T Nation

Over 50, Was Ready for an MRI but Started Rolling

I was fed up with my knees… i hate going to the doctor just ask my wife. But i could not stand it anymore…ok lets back up a bit (or a lot…lol ). After i got out of the Marine corps had kids got fat and lazy bla bla…every time i would start lifting again, i would get that eye of the tiger playing in my head and BAM! i would injure myself…then because of ignorance, i would take weeks off to heal. then that would lead to months…then get so sick of myself i would start back up again. Tell myself to go slow, ease into it…with in a week… ♪♪ Eye of the Tiger♪♪ BAM…injury. Finally i just said, dude you’re not 20 anymore. I started to research what had changed in the 20+ years of my original lifting knowledge. Not much…until i saw a video on the Conjugate method. Now im not 100% all in…but what really stuck with me was bar speed. …I started using bar speed to determine my max weight for that particular lift. If the bar speed slowed down, that’s were i would override my ♪eye of the tiger♪♪ and say…ok lets drop 30% and do some dynamic working sets. No more injury…now i will go forward… once i hit late 40s my joints just started to give me problems they just got worse and worse…ive abused my body over the years so at 49 i just thought…well i need to stretch more… nope…still worse at 50… i couldn’t even do squats anymore my knees could not go to depth and if my left would pop…all done for weeks…swelling and pain. heat cold…nothing was helping…living on grunt candy… motrin was not helping either, i could not even get off the toilet without puttng my hands on my knees and pushing…crouching down, or sitting on my knees…forget it…one pop… and im done…limping around for days, i though maybe this is as good as it gets at my age…told my wife…“thats it…I’m getting an MRI… but the next day i browsing the net and ordered a foam fitness roller, i was desperate… it came with a hard PVC roller with rubber nubs on it like 4” pvc, a foam smaller roller and a hard nubbed massage ball. I set the rubber coated PVC roller on the floor at the base of my lower back…feet firmly on the floor and rolled up and down my back. It sounded like a 100 knuckles popping…scared me at first …i thought “man i might not be able to get back up…lol” but i did… then i started to roll the massage ball on my knees…all over them…under over, top of my legs and under…really kneading the muscles and sore areas, then i put it on the floor and started working on my feet… rolling out the bottom of my foot…and i noticed… a weird hard section on my heel…i pushed and rolled harder…it felt amazing… the tissue underneath just broke apart…(ganglous cyst) i guess…anyway after a couple days… it was gone… i was rolling and massaging several times a day…my wife said i was addicted, but it really made me feel better. after a week the swelling in my left (bad) knee was gone… two weeks in and i could actually squat down without leaning on something… 3 weeks… and after. I can kneel down sit on my knees… no pain… and get up without leaning on anything…I started doing squats again…full depth…no pain… its amazing! So…long story short, if you are over 40 or feel like i felt… stop what you’re doing get a fitness roller set…NOW…lol …I’m not selling anything…just telling you how it totally changed my knees… and elbows…back pain…circulation…everything… DO IT NOW