Over 50 Training

At 67 and a member since '98, and having seem several attempts to get and keep a thread for “out of demographic” members, this is good
hope more find it and contribute

for my own regular entertainment/growth/attitude and self abuse at my home

3" x 10’ ABS slosh pipe, no hub caps and 2 1/2 gallons of water its a beach only about $20

homemade landmine with added attachment points for carabineers and chains/small plates adding weight ala Nautlilus power curves
you can make a more user friendly “handle” using PVC pipe and cap to fit over the main bar end , slightly larger and rotates so you don’t have to compromise grip

Harbor Freight inspired Trax system handing from a chain suspended easy curl bar, how much total body work could THAT inspire?

the recent article on front squats wrt to the landmine, excellent wrt to deeper sitting back and balanced overall body unity

At the OP, I’m 53 and been training since I was 18. The biggest thing I have found is to vary intensity. Currently I’m doing my own modification of “Big Beyond Belief”. Cycling heavy weight and volume training in 3 week cycles. It allows me to workout hard almost all the time while aiding recovery and avoiding injury. I am currently doi g 3 on 1 off. I’m retired now and have been bombing the gym. At 5’9 210 and I’m currently beating all my PRs.

Good Luck

I’m 55 and doing 5/3/1 four days/week for the past few years and it’s been the best training of my life. Focusing on a few key lifts and modulating volume and intensity so I can recover have been the keys for me. I like frequency to stay grooved so I’d rather do four days of more moderate volume than two or three longer sessions. Great to see a thread like this where older guys can share some ideas. I’d love to hear more about what others are doing to stay healthy and in the gym.

I wonder about the “useful long term metabolic effectiveness” of many of the products here wrt us older “resistance training enthusiasts” and the unavoidable facts of changes/challenges that aging will bring.
They’re not telling us much about the trials or who is in them. IDC,
I’ve spent a lot of money here and will continue to do so,
Maintaining lean mass and keeping the fat off if not getting stronger in the basic seems to be the real nut for “senior” lifters
We know we’re old enough to know we shouldn’t get caught up in worrying about giving our power away to some unknown “other”
ATTITUDE and self awareness about what works, what the numbers show
so How do folks here supplement?

Make this thread a desktop shortcut, prior attempts to keep something like this thread going end up getting buried and the benefit of community and accumulated “wisdom” for older guys and women needs to at our fingertips

How you doin´? I just turned 50 this year and have run the gamut of misguided training programs most of my life (thanks to M&F magazines). I used to dabble in a little powerlifting in college which finally taught me the discipline of programmed progression.

The past couple years I have been using Stronglifts with some success 2x per week, but find I stall out pretty fast.

The past 3 months I have been on an old school kick and have been doing Doug Hepburn program A, (5 sets of singles at 90% 1RM and add a set each session), and eschewed all assistance work, but have found this not to be effective. I will test my 1RM next week but the way the weight feels now, I think I will have only a 2,5kg gain in 1RM. I am a little suspicious of this program.

Anyone else try Hepburn?

I think I will look a more hybrid program combining strength and hypertrophy.

the recent article on the Landminethrusters" is so cool.
I built a 38" high platform for the pole to rest on
from there I can load and unload and add the weights and chains as I change things around
I’v also added a 1 1/2" pipe for grip from the front end so that it works with a wider grip for the squats
and also allow for varying width for the press

everything hooks together with eyebolts and carbineers

and its 12 feet out the front door
by the time I could drive to the gym and back, I could kill myself
and no sitting down like the majority of graybeards doing m’aintenance" BS

interesting full body possibilities at 24 hr. for mr
In Irvine,they have a sled that gets used in the basketball court, smooth
I have a “scooter” a 14" plywood disc with 5 swiveling 2" office chair wheels
load the sled with 3 45’s, or whatever, you get about 5-7 seconds to go all out before you need let is stop, no eccentrics
turn around, c’mon back
get in a pushup position with your toes on the scooter
alligator crawl down and back
stand up and get ready for the sled again . . .
working with a partner can buy a bit of staggered but not very long rest, periods the crawl takes longer

I`v been doing a two day split for along time not mention every other week or more and still managed to get stronger.

48 and training for 30 years.Been doing 5/3/1 for 3 years now. Following Simplest strength Template 3 days per week, in 4 week waves.my " training week" sometimes is 9 days long.This seems to work the best for me. I’m still hitting PRs regularly. I’m pleased with my strength. Doing Stretching/mobility 2 days per week. Doing neck/spine/ hip mobility 4 days per week.

[quote]goose64 wrote:
How you doin�´? I just turned 50 this year and have run the gamut of misguided training programs most of my life (thanks to M&F magazines). I used to dabble in a little powerlifting in college which finally taught me the discipline of programmed progression.

The past couple years I have been using Stronglifts with some success 2x per week, but find I stall out pretty fast.

The past 3 months I have been on an old school kick and have been doing Doug Hepburn program A, (5 sets of singles at 90% 1RM and add a set each session), and eschewed all assistance work, but have found this not to be effective. I will test my 1RM next week but the way the weight feels now, I think I will have only a 2,5kg gain in 1RM. I am a little suspicious of this program.

Anyone else try Hepburn?

I think I will look a more hybrid program combining strength and hypertrophy.[/quote]

I tried a Hepburn type program using singles and like yourself it didn’t work for me either I think maybe his 8x2 building up to 8x3 and then adding weight and starting over may have been better but if you do enough research on Hepburn even he had some extra help from special supplements if you believe what you read.

As someone who’s going to be 49 in a couple of months this is a great thread as I prefer abbreviated training due to both time restraints and lack of energy after a hard day at work.

Are there any decent e-books on this subject out there?

At 67, I find that the more whole body oriented no sitting allowed movements I can do, the better I feel, sleep, have energy for fun . .
prowler push/pull, chins, all kinds of rowing, trap bar deads from deficit, front squats, 1 handed cleans, tiered pushups

after observing so many plopped on their butts nothing ever seems to change gray beards at 24 fatness
of course not knowing what limitations they are facing . .
I’m not you

as a Tmag member from the git go even tho addressing seniors isn’t in the demographic,
hence this thread,
read , digest
get movinjg

56 years old, 5’9, 185 lbs. Been using 5/3/1 system and IMHO it’s maybe the best program for the over 50 crowd. Still get lot of intensity but can get the recovery you need. Plus all kinds of assistance work you can choose from to reach your goals and keep it fun. Because at my age, if it ain’t fun, not gonna do it.