Over 45 Sprinters

Sorry to join the thread so late, but better than never. I started CT’s Running Man routine the second week of January. I was at 15% bf and am now at 8.5%. The sprinting at first left me incredibly exhausted and tired. I then went to walking between sprints and, viola, improvement.

So now I walk for 2 minutes, run at 6 mph for 1 minute and sprint for 30 seconds and step down to 6 mph for 30 seconds and start the whole sequence over. Do it for a total of 44 or 48 minutes. Then I go and lift. Have not had any injuries, but use warm showers and a heating pad a lot.

I am currently 52 yo, benching 245 for 4s of 6r, 60 chins with 40 lb weight, squating 245 5s of 8r just to give a general pic of where I am at.

Charlie

[quote]Charlie wrote:
So now I walk for 2 minutes, run at 6 mph for 1 minute and sprint for 30 seconds and step down to 6 mph for 30 seconds and start the whole sequence over. [/quote]

If I read that right, you do your sprinting on the treadmill? I’ve done that a lot too. I recently started outside again (now that an old hammy injury has gone), and I find the difference enormous. I was doing treadmill sprints at 10mph 10% incline for 30 secs, and as tough as it is, I found running all-out up a hill to be 3 times more draining (well, I could only do a third of the sets anyhow). :slight_smile:

You lift after sprints? You’re a lot tougher than me! I take a days rest. :slight_smile:

I’ve not done the heating pad, but epsom-salts baths are now part of my weekly program. That plus Cressey and Robertson’s Magnificent Mobility DVD have helped me stay injury free. :slight_smile:

You’re in great shape, for a guy older than me (and there aren’ that many on here…I’m 46 soon). I can’t bench for shit, but tonight I Deadlifted 335LB for 8 sets of 3 (and 2 sets of 2 - I was trying to do 10 sets of three of course!). New PR though. :slight_smile:

Your 15% to 8% bf transformation is very impressive. Have you been that lean before? I found it very hard to get much below about 13% or so - I start losing muscle, so I stop. I’m again starting to build-up - I want to get to 200LB before I think about leaning out again (currently 180).

I was doing TC’s IBUR earlier this week on travel - on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. First time I tried IBUR. I hope to integrate them into my weekly program from now.

Glad to see another oldie sprinting. :slight_smile: Keep it up!

WiZ

Good discussion. Thanks ! What I’m wondering is, what tangible benefits have y’all seen from running sprints ?Where do you feel sore the next day? Has your “wind” improved ? (Sorry, "wind is an old guy term for endurance). I like the idea, I just need a little more inspiration to get with the program.

I have nothing to add, but to say that this thread is very inspirational.

[quote]magyar wrote:
Good discussion. Thanks ! What I’m wondering is, what tangible benefits have y’all seen from running sprints ?Where do you feel sore the next day? Has your “wind” improved ? (Sorry, "wind is an old guy term for endurance). I like the idea, I just need a little more inspiration to get with the program.[/quote]

Well at the start of this old thread, you’ll see I was doing about 3-4 400m sprints on a nice flat track surface. About 2 weeks ago, I did 15 200m sprints at a 10% incline (admittedly I was wiped out at the end of it). I’d say that’s an improvement. :slight_smile: Another bonus: the endorphins that kick-in after this make me feel great for at least half a day. They really help me cope with the morons at the office. That has to be a good thing, too :slight_smile:

As for soreness - I feel it most in my hams when I sprint uphill. Never felt it in my quads, nor my shins unless I run downhill.

It does work for fat loss - I was using sprints through the end of January to melt away about 7LB before I started another muscle-gaining program again (just started): my waist had gone up to a tight 36", so I wanted to get that back down again. I did it easily. :slight_smile: I’m thus on my way up again with a new bulking cycle, and will do so until I’ve added at least 20LB. I refuse to buy any more trousers. :slight_smile:

My ability to sustain high intensity exercise is greatly improved with intervals. I notice this more when I’m not exercising, e.g. when I’m on travel: I get to a hotel with people, and we walk up some stairs (I avoid elevators whenever I can). The folks I’m with join me as they feel guilty (dumb huh?), but they’re dead after a few flights - puffing and panting, hardly able to speak, whereas my biggest problem is trying not to laugh at them coz I feel… normal. :slight_smile:

I used to do a lot of endurance running when I knew nothing about fitness (I ran up to half marathons on the treadmill). Made me skinny and weak as hell - took me months to regain the muscle that I once had (and then a lot more besides). I think the energy systems work is essential, and I am a firm believer that sprints are a crucial part of my exercise regime.

My $0.02 :slight_smile:

WiZ

50ish female here.
Our local high school just put in a very nice rubberized track. Last summer I enjoyed going up there and running the bleachers. I would warm up doing a lap on the track and then hit the bleachers. Cooled down with a final slow lap on the track. Never had any pulls, but did have some issue with shin splints, which I attribute to too much, too soon. This spring I will work on starting on slowly (on a treadmill) whilst working on strengthening my tibialis anterior.
I live in the Great White North, so I traditionally use winter for heavy lifting and putting on weight and then start leaning out in the spring.

One note - I think the track coach enjoys it when I’m there as it shows the kids that training (and life) doesn’t have to stop at 30.

Thanks for the responses. The folks at the gym I workout at convinced me to do a bodybuilding competition on the 8th of April, hence the drop in bf.

I use the treadmill for the work, simply because the high for today will be 4 degrees F.
I decided to lift after running when i remembered an old MM2000 (back when TC and co. were still with Phillips) article that said lifting after running would or could continue the metabolic impact of aerobics.

I initially got shin splints and I attributed that to poor/weak tibialis. So I do ‘toe curls’ (?..I am sure the exercise has a name), sit on the floor, legs extended, hook a handle on my foot above the toes and pull the toes towards the knee/body.

And it is very motivating to the youngsters to see someone who is older and still fit doing ‘crazy’ stuff…
Charlie

Here is a pic of what sprinting has done for me…I am some where in the neighborhood of 6-8% bf in this.

[quote]Charlie wrote:
Here is a pic of what sprinting has done for me…I am some where in the neighborhood of 6-8% bf in this.[/quote]

Damn! You are 52?! What an inspiration for me to get off my lazy ass! Looking good man!

[quote]Charlie wrote:
Here is a pic of what sprinting has done for me…I am some where in the neighborhood of 6-8% bf in this.[/quote]

Nice calves.

[quote]BusterK9 wrote:
Charlie wrote:
Here is a pic of what sprinting has done for me…I am some where in the neighborhood of 6-8% bf in this.

Damn! You are 52?! What an inspiration for me to get off my lazy ass! Looking good man!
[/quote]

Jesus, you might be one of the best built 50 plus guys Ive ever seen…

I would hope to look like you at any age

[quote]Charlie wrote:

Wow, I?m 21 and will hopefully look like you one day.

Aside: At the indoor university track, I’ve seen 1 person doing sprints for every 100 half-ass joggers. Dan John would not be proud.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Charlie wrote:

Wow, I?m 21 and will hopefully look like you one day.

Aside: At the indoor university track, I’ve seen 1 person doing sprints for every 100 half-ass joggers. Dan John would not be proud. [/quote]

I cannot tell you how many stares and looks of disgust I get from flabby soccer moms and dads who jog/walk at the local highschools track I do sprints at.

The younger women don’t seem to mind though :slight_smile: