T Nation

Outside Linebacker

Alright, im an Olb at my school. Ive been on varsity since freshman year and i want to take my game to a completely new level. Im small, but i work harder than you could imagine

Our spring game was last night; i recorded 8 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles and 4 QB pressures.

Summer is only a short time but i want to take advantage of it and make myself better but im confused… i need more mass speed and agility. Im 5’10 1/2 and only 169…

Ive read articles from 5x5 to defrancos and christian thibaudeau’s HP mass training but im still very confused.

My lift maxes right now are:
Bench: 270
C & J: 260
Deadlift (trap) : 460
Squat: 365 on 10" box
Overhead press: 3 rep 140

Help out; comment

Philippians 4:13

No offense, but how do you not get smothered by O linemen? I don’t mean to belittle, I am just genuinely curious

[quote]Vanagandr wrote:
No offense, but how do you not get smothered by O linemen? I don’t mean to belittle, I am just genuinely curious[/quote]
TTBOMK, a lot of the kids on the field are weak as fuck. Smaller guy with decent lifts and genuine aggressiveness tends to do well in that setting.

[quote]bcwildcat4 wrote:
Alright, im an Olb at my school. Ive been on varsity since freshman year and i want to take my game to a completely new level. Im small, but i work harder than you could imagine

Our spring game was last night; i recorded 8 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 Forced Fumbles and 4 QB pressures.

Summer is only a short time but i want to take advantage of it and make myself better but im confused… i need more mass speed and agility. Im 5’10 1/2 and only 169…

Ive read articles from 5x5 to defrancos and christian thibaudeau’s HP mass training but im still very confused.

Help out; comment

[/quote]

How old/what year are you? How long have you been lifting for? What’s your diet look like?

CS

OP how is your training set up right now?

Wendler writes a lot about this kind of thing, you should read everything he’s written on the subject.

He also wrote a full book on it.

[quote]Vanagandr wrote:
No offense, but how do you not get smothered by O linemen? I don’t mean to belittle, I am just genuinely curious[/quote]

I guess a smaller guy coming off the edge with some speed and strength is going to beat a tackle. James Harrison isn’t the biggest guy on the field, but he does alright.

You cant measure heart and aggresion, keep it up

^ sighhh

Eat. Lift. Bust your ass on the field.

/thread

Its fine, i like criticism. Makes me want to work 2x as hard

i just turned 16 and im a sophomore.

ive been lifting heavy since 8th grade.

I was 5’4, 107 at the beginning of my 8th grade year.

Usually, i make a 6 day split

Monday, thursday:
Chest triceps shoulders

Tuesday, friday:
back and biceps

wednesday, saturday:
legs and abs

calves everyday; forearms/grip everyday

and this goes until weightlifting season in january

and my diet is relatively clean but its been hard to eat a ton during school and with practice directly after school everyday

[quote]bcwildcat4 wrote:

Help out; comment

[/quote]

Just pick any intellegent program and work hard. Since you’re only working with the summer, I would suggest you don’t do defranco’s program, just because you have to find what max effort exercises work and dont work for you, and the summer isnt really long enough for that.

Also, eat a LOT more. You have the disadvantage of being small, and you will be a better football player if you are bigger and dont have to deal with this disadvantage.

Follow the 531 program (do the bodybuilders version - Big but boring)

Eat 5000 calories per day, 1500 cals in peri workout nutrition (whey protein 90g, maltodextrin 300g). Lose your abs.

Nice lifts

You strict press 140 for a triple but jerk 260?

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
You strict press 140 for a triple but jerk 260?[/quote]

This might sound crazy, but at my strongest I could clean & push press 225 for a few but was doing seated military with 175-ish with very loose form. Not quite as big a difference, but still a difference.

Follow 5/3/1 or WS4SB Part III.

CS

Besides 5/3/1 there is also the juggernaut method football edition, though I am not sure if you need the original juggernaut book to get the most out of it.

Wendler has written alot about this. Id recommend 5/3/1 for PL or the original 5/3/1. Both are good reads and cover damn near all questions.

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:
You strict press 140 for a triple but jerk 260?[/quote]

well i just started overhead pressing for strength with low reps. And im making sure my form is strict as possible…(which i got 150 today)

but a jerk is an explosive movement and is mostly leg drive and stabilizing at the top with your traps and triceps. While a overhead press in brute strength with no momentum so.

[quote]Vanagandr wrote:

i was the athlete of the year as a 5’6 middle backer. doesnt matter, work ethic will always set you apart. as for the question, when i was a senior in high school i really wish i knew about 5/3/1, the low volume is great during in season play and it would have allowed me to keep my top end strength which is always so hard to keep in season.