Outlandish Claim

Ok. I gotta post this. The other night 24 hr fitness was having this awesome sale on supplements. I ended up with about 9 lbs of MuscleMilk for 30 bucks. This isn’t the good part of the story though. So while we were are at the register, one of the trainers starts trying to get us to join.

We mention that we are interested in a more powerlifting friendly gym. He asks us an example of a thing 24 hr doesn’t have. We say chalk. He goes “Chalk…like chalk…chalk for what? What does chalk do?” I told him it improves grip on benching, squatting, and deadlifting.

He says “You don’t need chalk for that stuff.” My buddy Chris chimes in “It is hard to hold onto a 600 lb deadlift without chalk.”
Ok…pause story… here is where it gets gooood. I promise you will be laughing like crazy in 10 seconds…

The trainer looks perplexed at this point… “You don’t need chalk to deadlift 600 lbs. I’ve done that WITHOUT a back brace and without chalk. Shit I’ve done that much. I’ve done near 700 lbs- you need is proper form.”
Now I’m a powerlifer in the APF who has pulled 660 pounds.

I am about 250 and although I don’t look HOUUUUUGE, I’m not a 175 lb 24 hr fitness trainer. Ok… So in my mind right now there are so many alarms going off, so many frustrations, so much hate, that I don’t know what to say. I go “Thats one hell of a deadlift. You should join the WPO.” The trainer then has me describe to him what exactly the WPO is.

“I’m not interested in the powerlifting stuff. Not for me.” Keep in mind that I haven’t mentioned “THE BACK BRACE,” the fact that he looks like shit, or any of the other countless things to say. I asked him if he pulled it conventional or sumo. He looks confused for a second and replies “Stiff leg.”

Now I’m a religious man, so I didn’t want to curse him on the spot and accuse him of being some evil stiff leg witch, but at this point, I’m tryign to hold down the bile to keep from throwing up. One of the chicks at the front desk is snickering as the trainer walks away. My buddy goes “Does everyone around here lie that much?” The girl who is obviously smarter than the trainer replies “Only the trainers. Thats why I work at the desk.”

I would have loved to ask this guy to stand in front of my APF Texas State Meet and proclaim to all witnessing the meet that he could pull almost 700 lbs stiff legged. Shit I woulda bought him a plane ticket, and had a limo take him to the meet hotel. After I got my Muscle Milk and ran home, I sat in the shower for 4 hrs trying to clean myself.

Only after my next DE squat workout did I actually feeled clean enough to once again show my face in public.

Imagine what he woulda said if my friend had said 800 lb deadlift, 1000 lb deadlift. Shit he might give Andy Bolton a run for his money. HAhahahahaha

He probably does his “good mornings” with a stiff-legged stance. Tougher that way but better for the burn. Walks away wondering why you aren’t doing your good mornings stiff-legged style. At 4xbodyweight-gms you need to cut some unnecessary exercises (like deadlifts) out of the workout.

Don’t need chalk for gms-if you’re doing them right.

if it’s not on video or in PLUSA, who cares.

He probably meant a rack pull starting 6 inches from lockout with straps.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
He probably meant a rack pull starting 6 inches from lockout with straps.[/quote]

na he was probably just lieing for the fuck of it

I did call him out on it. It obviously would have done little good. He would have said he did it " a while ago." If I asked him for proof he would have said “he’s already worked out today.” Or “I’m too tired.” Tools like that are not worth arguing with. I did think it was pretty funny and funny enough to post on T-Nation. BTW, I am one week out from a meet and will pull 700. Will post video for proof if anyone doubts my claim. My 650 is on youtube and I have pics of my 660. Search “Joe deadlift”.

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
He probably meant a rack pull starting 6 inches from lockout with straps.[/quote]

No, he probably had no fucking clue what he was talking about.

You’re a better man then I for going through the trouble of explaining it all to him.

Wow… I was really expecting more out of this story. I’m disappointed.

stiff legged… I died laughing

This was at last yrs Texas State Meet.

My 660 deadlift

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
Wow… I was really expecting more out of this story. I’m disappointed.[/quote]

I’m disapointed that you are over 6 feet tall and weigh less than 200. Gain some weight.

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
SlothGuy wrote:
Wow… I was really expecting more out of this story. I’m disappointed.

I’m disapointed that you are over 6 feet tall and weigh less than 200. Gain some weight.[/quote]

Damn, that’s hateful.

tale of woe…
[/quote]

Unfortunately, flagrant exaggeration is common place. FAR too few have the integrity to back up their claims.

What I don’t get at all is that he was lying when you obviously knew what you’re talking about. If he lied to a newb, maybe it would impress him and he may sell a membership, but lying to you was like saying you can take Matt Hughes while talking to GSP… not smart at all.

Roland

The guy was trying to “Sell you a Membership”, so he can meet he his quota and get a bonus.

What a tool!! I hate it when guys feel the need to BS to make themselves seem better or your results seem less. Its even worse when these guys make claims while having no clue what they are talking about.

There has been many a time someone has told me what they can bench or squat, only to find out thay have only moved the bar about 4"…

Funny you should mention this. My supervisor at my job has told me numerous times with a straight face he would “destroy” Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz in a fight. Mind you he has no MMA experience or does any physical exercise. He just thinks he is “tougher,” whatever that means.

[quote]Roland Fisher wrote:
What I don’t get at all is that he was lying when you obviously knew what you’re talking about. If he lied to a newb, maybe it would impress him and he may sell a membership, but lying to you was like saying you can take Matt Hughes while talking to GSP… not smart at all.

Roland[/quote]

This was at last yrs Texas State Meet. [/quote]

From youtube comments
"GreyArea1234 (1 day ago)
Not bad, but I’d be far more impressed if you didn’t use chalk. Real men don’t use chalk. "

Now that’s funny. Even by youtube comment standards it is ignorant.

[quote]GreenMountains wrote:
dead_lifter5000 wrote:

This was at last yrs Texas State Meet.

From youtube comments
"GreyArea1234 (1 day ago)
Not bad, but I’d be far more impressed if you didn’t use chalk. Real men don’t use chalk. "

Now that’s funny. Even by youtube comment standards it is ignorant.

[/quote]

Jeez, didn’t you know!?!? All powerlifers lace their chalk with STEROIDZZZ!!111

It instantly adds like 100lbs to your deadlift.

And I’m now dumber for typing that.