T Nation

Outfitting My Work Truck

Alright…so i am trying to figure what i want to do with my work truck as far as hauling tools (every day) and hauling material (from time to time). I am a drywall taper, and our child will also be coming into the world very soon. My wife and i also moved to a larger center recently too.

So far, i have been hauling my tools in my cab behind the drivers/passengers seat, but its a pain because it completely eliminates the back seat, meaning i can only take one other person with me at a time, and even getting groceries is irritating because the stuff that cant go in the box has to go on the passenger seat.

With our child coming too, i want to have the option to take him in my truck, and in general too i want the cab cleaner because you can probably imagine how dirty a drywallers truck would be with hauling tools in the cab.

So i am down to two options here…either a locking tool crate, weather i built it or bought it, and bigger obviously than a standard truck tool box. Or, a truck topper. They both have benefits, but the crate has a potential to be much cheaper…and an issue with the canopy is that i would also need to track down a locking tail gate.

So again, please give me your opinions or even pros/cons. Thanks

I’m not a drywall/taper but I do work construction, and all I can say is if I could get away with the cheaper/smaller option (tool box) that’s what I would go with.

1 Like

A lock box and a rack for ladders, long things, etc. with a removable cross member back at the tailgate for hauling plywood or drywall in the bed. That’s the all American, do just about anything contractors set up.

3 Likes

Now that I live in Houston, it’s so refreshing to hear someone ask how to make their truck more functional for hauling tools for work, instead of making it look “more badass.” I fucking hate Pavement Princesses. Where I’m from, a clean truck is an embarrassment to its owner. Accordingly, these dorks with spotless lifted F-350s sitting on 24" wheels with glossy mud tires (how is that even a fucking thing that exists) should be a lot more ashamed than they appear to be.

6 Likes

You forgot the undercarriage lighting system!! :joy:

1 Like

Yeah where i live (canada) theres lots of pavement crawlers. I just have a beat up farm truck…2wd, dents and scratches all over but she runs good and hauls anything i throw at her. I havent washed my truck since before winter either haha.