Out of Time Man

BBC programs are very bad at science stuff, but I found this experiment pretty cool. The one with the rats cracked me up. Thought I’d share.

That was pretty cool.

BBC programs are in what way “bad” at science programs? Are they factually bad or do they just bore the fuck out of you.

Pretty cool, though it annoyed me every time the narrator says this shows time does slow down… it’s as if he’s not listening to the scientist.

[quote]zooropa1150 wrote:
BBC programs are in what way “bad” at science programs? Are they factually bad or do they just bore the fuck out of you.[/quote]

Maybe just my bad luck, but everything I’ve seen from them is way too vulgarized for my taste. They tend to be borderline sensationalist.

But then again, I spend a good chunk of the day reading scientific papers, so it could be just be me.

Saw it in the afternoon, pretty sick vid, do u believe in what hes saying about adrenalin (sp?) speeding up the speed at which the brain gets information? seems believeable

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Saw it in the afternoon, pretty sick vid, do u believe in what hes saying about adrenalin (sp?) speeding up the speed at which the brain gets information? seems believeable[/quote]

That’s the only plausible explanation. At that speed, you’re still in the realm of classical physics.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this fancy underground construction though:

Buckle your seatbelt, kid. The next decade might just be the most exciting since the 1930s.

P.S: I’m visiting the CERN in May. I brag 'cause the waiting list is of the order of a year.

Hey cool, I saw this concept discussed recently on The Discovery Channel …on a show called “The Human Body:Pushing The Limits”.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Maybe just my bad luck, but everything I’ve seen from them is way too vulgarized for my taste. They tend to be borderline sensationalist. [/quote]

Same thing happens to me when I watch action adventure movies, “WTF, you can’t shoot a MAC-10 one handed and expect to hit anything!”. I still enjoyed Arnold in “Commando”.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
lixy wrote:
Maybe just my bad luck, but everything I’ve seen from them is way too vulgarized for my taste. They tend to be borderline sensationalist.

Same thing happens to me when I watch action adventure movies, “WTF, you can’t shoot a MAC-10 one handed and expect to hit anything!”. I still enjoyed Arnold in “Commando”.

[/quote]

ya but your not arnold :wink: i remember watching him in all those movies you could have told me his muscle could stop bullets and i would have believed you till i died lol

[quote]lixy wrote:
ahzaz wrote:
Saw it in the afternoon, pretty sick vid, do u believe in what hes saying about adrenalin (sp?) speeding up the speed at which the brain gets information? seems believeable

That’s the only plausible explanation. At that speed, you’re still in the realm of classical physics.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this fancy underground construction though:

Buckle your seatbelt, kid. The next decade might just be the most exciting since the 1930s.

P.S: I’m visiting the CERN in May. I brag 'cause the waiting list is of the order of a year.[/quote]

Im guessing the same thing will happen with this that happened with computers. We’ll go from bigass time machines, to ones only 1km long, and sooner or later, we’ll all be carrying portable time machines.

Neat video, but anyone who’s ever been in “the zone” while playing sports can attest to the same type of effect.

(It also seems to kick in during tabata squats ;).)

Time does seem to slow down; at least it did for me. Kinda lame story, but the adrenaline was fuckin’ pumpin.

I was driving in my truck and had an envelope of over $300 in my lap. A guy (I even knew him) flagged me to stop. So I stopped and he began to chat with me (I had the windows rolled down), and during that time he apparently noticed the money. He then used one hand and touched the bill of my hat I was wearing, asking where I got it. Looking back, it was a diversion, because as soon as I started to reply, he reached down quickly and grabbed the envelope.

I don’t know how to describe it, but it was like a switch went off, and went off fast. He almost got his arm out of my door, but I grabbed his wrist with my hand. It was like a fuckin’ mega vice grip; I don’t know where I got that strength from. As I had hold of his wrist, I yanked his arm into the hole of the steering wheel, and used my other hand to hold his other arm.

This was all in like 5-10 seconds, max. Then a verbal exchange of me threatening to drive off and break his forearm if he didn’t let go of the enveloped ensued. I started to drive slowly off, and he let go.

The shit was so fuckin’ quick. It was awesome looking back, but damn, I felt shitty afterwards. My stomach was upset, and I was shaky. I just felt really nervous and fatigued at the same time.

Information processing was sped up for me, no doubt about it. I blame the adrenaline.

[quote]ahzaz wrote:
Im guessing the same thing will happen with this that happened with computers. We’ll go from bigass time machines, to ones only 1km long, and sooner or later, we’ll all be carrying portable time machines. [/quote]

Cool your jets, cowboy. I don’t think we have a snowball’s chance in hell to achieve time travel, ever.

What’s everyone’s obsession with time machines anyway? think about it, they’ll all only be able to go as far back in time as when they were turned “on” lol.

[quote]lixy wrote:
ahzaz wrote:
Im guessing the same thing will happen with this that happened with computers. We’ll go from bigass time machines, to ones only 1km long, and sooner or later, we’ll all be carrying portable time machines.

Cool your jets, cowboy. I don’t think we have a snowball’s chance in hell to achieve time travel, ever.[/quote]

Do you believe it will not be achieved but is possible? or do you think it just isn’t possible?

The Government already has time machines. They got them from UFO’s for 800 packs of Marlboro’s. Those aliens sure love their smokes.