T Nation

Out Of The Hospital

Well my Crohn’s Disease tried to kick my ass again. Had an obstruction of the small bowel that thankfully resolved after a week of nasal decompression, steroids (no, not that kind), and antibiotics. My arms look like I’m a junkie due to all the veins I went through (Cipro burns those puppies pretty good!). I also dropped over 10lbs and I am sure that included a bunch of muscle. After a week in bed with little walking I am just phyically wiped out. I wanted to go the gym the whole time though and was tempted day one at home, but ended up sleeping all afternoon after release. I think I’ll take advantage of the treadmill and/or the bike at the gym and build some endurance back up, but will play the lifting by ear and maybe give it a few more days before I get back into the routine. Why am I sharing this story with you? I don’t know, but I thought it was kind of cool that throughout the nonsense I just wanted back into the gym.

Glad you go paroled! I know what you mean though. I had to spend a few days in the hospital this year.

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
Well my Crohn’s Disease tried to kick my ass again. Had an obstruction of the small bowel that thankfully resolved after a week of nasal decompression, steroids (no, not that kind), and antibiotics. My arms look like I’m a junkie due to all the veins I went through (Cipro burns those puppies pretty good!). I also dropped over 10lbs and I am sure that included a bunch of muscle. After a week in bed with little walking I am just phyically wiped out. I wanted to go the gym the whole time though and was tempted day one at home, but ended up sleeping all afternoon after release. I think I’ll take advantage of the treadmill and/or the bike at the gym and build some endurance back up, but will play the lifting by ear and maybe give it a few more days before I get back into the routine. Why am I sharing this story with you? I don’t know, but I thought it was kind of cool that throughout the nonsense I just wanted back into the gym.[/quote]

I know what you mean, when sick I tend to jump back into training to fast.I’m currently doing intravenous meds. @ home and it doesn’t help my gym is @ home. I felt like I was feeling good enough to work out, so I was gonna keep it simple an do some deadlifts and dips last night.

As I started to descend on that first dip, my Huber needle popped out my chest.(I have a medi-port/pic-line)
Now I have to call my nurse to come re-access the sight & I’ll get an earful about staying still and resting up.

Sorry to hear that buddy.

Work your way back into it but don’t push too hard too fast.

Old fuckers like us don’t recover as quickly as we used to.

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
Well my Crohn’s Disease tried to kick my ass again. Had an obstruction of the small bowel that thankfully resolved after a week of nasal decompression[/quote]

Whew, damn man I feel for ya. I have had a few surgeries because of this same thing, except I don’t have Crons. It wsas scar tissue from previous surgeries aftef an appendectomy. The NG tube is a bitch isn’t it? Anyway, just get back to it and you’ll bounce right back.

Thanks all! I will take it slow. Like a jackass I decided to mow the lawn on Friday. I finished it, but ended up so tired I slept until just now.

I am going to the gym today though. Nothing crazy. Just a little walking on the treadmill and maybe some light machine work.

I think I’ll ask for the Picu line right away next time. I have never done it and am apprehensive, but every person I spoke to says it is the way to go.

And yes NG tubes do suck big time (babdabing!). Thank G-d for the ativan and dilaudid when they put it in.

Good Luck, Wookie & APE,Guys like you are the real T-Men.Healthy people dont realize what you have to endure just to workout,keep the spirit!!!

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
Thank G-d for the ativan and dilaudid when they put it in.[/quote]

It makes all better huh?

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
TheWookie wrote:
Thank G-d for the ativan and dilaudid when they put it in.

It makes all better huh?[/quote]

It helps for sure. I get a little anxious when they put it in, so the drugs relax me a bit and I mostly forget it afterwards. I can deal with it fairly well once it is in me though. It works, so I can’t complain about it too much. I’ll likely go for a corrective surgery soon to bypass the scar/narrowed area.

May you have fast recovery.

Just got back from the gym. Man, oh man I am beat. Did some deads, pull-downs, seated shoulder presses, and treadmill. I am wiped out. Strength losses weren’t huge, but endurance is gone. At least I know what to work on now. Once again, thanks to all.

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
I’ll likely go for a corrective surgery soon to bypass the scar/narrowed area.[/quote]

I’ve had numerous surgeries to correct intestinal kinks and scar tissue removal. Luckily, though, I’ve yet had any intestinal resections. Gut problems suck to high heaven.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
TheWookie wrote:
I’ll likely go for a corrective surgery soon to bypass the scar/narrowed area.

I’ve had numerous surgeries to correct intestinal kinks and scar tissue removal. Luckily, though, I’ve yet had any intestinal resections. Gut problems suck to high heaven. [/quote]

I’ve had only 2 resections over the past 20 years, so I consider myself lucky. I’ve been in countless times though for partial or full obstructions; and thankfully they always resolved. You are correct though: Gut problems suck.

I was diagnosed with Crohn’s last year – in the hospital for a week, at home for about three weeks after that. I lost about 25 pounds of muscle. Was on prednisone and other steroids and packed on 90 pounds of fat over the next 9 months.

I’ve lost about 60 lbs of it so far and am slowly building back muscle and strength.

I do feel your pain. If you ever want to chat, shoot me a line.

egc

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
TheWookie wrote:
I’ll likely go for a corrective surgery soon to bypass the scar/narrowed area.

I’ve had numerous surgeries to correct intestinal kinks and scar tissue removal. Luckily, though, I’ve yet had any intestinal resections. Gut problems suck to high heaven.

I’ve had only 2 resections over the past 20 years, so I consider myself lucky. I’ve been in countless times though for partial or full obstructions; and thankfully they always resolved. You are correct though: Gut problems suck.[/quote]

[quote]TheWookie wrote:

I think I’ll ask for the Picu line right away next time. I have never done it and am apprehensive, but every person I spoke to says it is the way to go.
[/quote]

What’s a Picu line?

[quote]egcabanissiii wrote:
TheWookie wrote:

What’s a Picu line?[/quote]

Typo on my part. Should be PICC Line.

Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter

A PICC line is an IV that goes up the arm to the superior vena cava (a big vein that carries blood from all of your upper body to heart). This is usually done by feel and then they use an X-ray to verify that the it was done right.

It can have 2 sublines within it, so they can draw blood too. Once it is in, it usually lasts much longer than your typical IV. With all the antibiotics I was taking, I was blowing veins left and right. They say this eliminates that trouble.