T Nation

Out of Line Tail Bone

So I thought I pulled my back during deadlifts, turns out I made my tailbone go out of line( it is now re adjusted). This is very discouraging, I’m not quite sure of the severity of this injury (has anyone else had this on here). I don’t know if I can keep training heavy , as I pulled it during a small lift. Any advice or words of encouragement would be appreciated… As this news pretty much ruined my week. Thanks!

Many (not all) chiropractors will tell you this or that is out of line and needs to get “adjusted”. You should take this kind of talk with a grain of salt; there is seldom a good scientific or medical basis for what they are saying.

I am not saying chiropractors are useless or that they are all unscientific.

I don’t understand how a tailbone can even do that…

[quote]trojan15 wrote:
I don’t know if I can keep training heavy , as I pulled it during a small lift.[/quote]

This is common.
Most lifters do not bring the same level of concentration to there light/warm-up work that they do to there ‘work’ sets. The expression is “treat the light heavy and the heavy light”.

So once my back is better do you think I can eventually start training heavy again, or is this one of those life time things? Sorry for the very “dumb” response as this is my first major injury and I have only been lifting for about 1 1/2, Thanks

Who told you your tailbone was out of line? Did they do any imaging on you? I’ve never heard of someone injuring their tailbone (coccyx) while deadlifting–seems like it would be hard to do unless you fell on it…

Chiropractor told me, and said one of my glutes was very tight as the possible cause. But after an adjustment, he just suggested I not workout for two weeks and come back to see him.

Based on the mechanism of injury, I highly doubt your problem is a misaligned tailbone. Most back injuries feel a little better after a couple weeks and a lot better after a month, so I also doubt his adjustment will do anything that normal rest wouldn’t do. As long as you don’t have any nerve symptoms (pain down your leg, numbness, tingling) you should be fine with just avoiding heavy exercise and no additional treatment or special exercises.

Thanks a lot, one last question is it normal for the back to hurt when using the bathroom (#2), is this just part of the back being sore and having pressure put on it?

If your back is hurting whenever you increase your intra-abdominal pressure (such as when you are pooping, or straining on a lift), then it is likely just a strained muscle or possibly a disc. If you have either bowel or bladder incontinence, motor weakness, or sensory loss in the “saddle area”, then it is serious and you should see a doctor.

[quote]seekonk wrote:
Many (not all) chiropractors will tell you this or that is out of line and needs to get “adjusted”. You should take this kind of talk with a grain of salt; there is seldom a good scientific or medical basis for what they are saying.

I am not saying chiropractors are useless or that they are all unscientific. [/quote]

I’m probably about to go beyond the scope of this discussion, but I would like to weigh in. I actually agree with seekonk in that “out of line” is, at best, an inaccurate term. The spine is not a stack of wood blocks sitting nice and straight all the time. It is a dynamic thing. I think that many of us (chiropractors) use terms like this out of laziness. We assume that people won’t understand or simply don’t care what the technical jargon is; they just want to know if we can fix them. Stuart McGill uses a pretty good term. He discusses a similar injury as a “motor control error”. Each segment of the spine should be considered as a seperate joint; sometimes one of the these “motor units” malfunctions. The layers of muscles that are supposed to be supporting and moving that particular motor unit in synchronicity with adjacent motor units fire incorrectly, allowing the joint to move beyond a healthy range of motion and cause injury. So, we need to give that a name; like I said earlier, many of us just call that a “misalignment”, even though it’s pretty inaccurate.

In the case of the OP, when his chiro said his “tailbone was out of line”, I think he may have been referring to one of these “motor control errors” of the sacro-iliac joint. And, to put your mind at ease, it is fairly common to have this injury with a relatively light load. It happens at times from simply bending to pick up a pencil or something similar. It certainly does not mean that you can never train heavy again.

Thanks a lot guys!!! You have no idea how worried and depressed I’ve been lately
Cheers