Our Own Greatest Gains Ever

First when I started eating food and stopped considering myself as a FFB or what. Then, when I started deadlifting. After that I recall some training split with lower volume, something called DC. Though I wasn’t ready for that and drained me in 6 weeks, I busted some plateaus in strength and muscularity.

i am actually making really solid gains over this last month, mostly in my arms and shoulders. i actually started direct arm work and got serious with my shoulders and it is paying off.

[quote]cdb wrote:
At your training experience / weight - I, Bodybuilder probably won’t be the best thing for you. Rippetoe’s Starting Strength would probably be a better place to start. There is no magic program- it’s all about what you put into it and putting more weight on the bar. Do yourself a favor and buy (or download) a copy of Joe DeFranco’s movie: “Stronger”- if you think your putting maximum effort into whatever program you’re doing right now, your opinion will probably change after watching the movie.[/quote]

I have friends that lift there, so no thanks on buying the copy. He’s facility is about 10 minutes from my house. Also I wasn’t looking for a magic program, I simply liked the idea of what other people where doing and what worked for THEM. I’m not going to abandon what I’m doing right now and start with starting strength or any other program, I believe in seeing things through. I know how to preform the basic lifts and my body weight hasn’t jumped up, intentionally, because of my need to stay very fast.

I had 3 D1 track opportunities and I turned them down because track isn’t fun at all in college and my current school payed me a lot more for academics. I’m now a wing on a rugby team and still need to remain fast. So I appreciate the response but I wasn’t asking for recommendations on what I should do.

Also about I bodybuilder…I was just excited to see what CT had cooked up. I have no intention of going on the I, Bodybuilder program. I’m not ready yet.

When I stopped logging in every calorie and number I lift. I just lifted as heavy as I could for no less than 4 reps and ate as much as I could without getting fat. Plain and simple. Now pay me 10 grand for me to tell you that in a fancier way.

EDIT: Man I wish my posts didn’t get so butchered during the submission process

When I started eating 6 jumbo eggs with ham, hashbrowns, onions in them every morning and started doing 5/3/1.

I have made progress, every single week.

[quote]johnjulius wrote:
cdb wrote:
At your training experience / weight - I, Bodybuilder probably won’t be the best thing for you. Rippetoe’s Starting Strength would probably be a better place to start. There is no magic program- it’s all about what you put into it and putting more weight on the bar. Do yourself a favor and buy (or download) a copy of Joe DeFranco’s movie: “Stronger”- if you think your putting maximum effort into whatever program you’re doing right now, your opinion will probably change after watching the movie.

I have friends that lift there, so no thanks on buying the copy. He’s facility is about 10 minutes from my house. Also I wasn’t looking for a magic program, I simply liked the idea of what other people where doing and what worked for THEM. I’m not going to abandon what I’m doing right now and start with starting strength or any other program, I believe in seeing things through. I know how to preform the basic lifts and my body weight hasn’t jumped up, intentionally, because of my need to stay very fast.

I had 3 D1 track opportunities and I turned them down because track isn’t fun at all in college and my current school payed me a lot more for academics. I’m now a wing on a rugby team and still need to remain fast. So I appreciate the response but I wasn’t asking for recommendations on what I should do.

Also about I bodybuilder…I was just excited to see what CT had cooked up. I have no intention of going on the I, Bodybuilder program. I’m not ready yet.[/quote]

Dont ever worry about being to big to play wing FYI. For further info google: lote tuqiri, Sitiveni Sivivatu, or…Jonah loooooomuuuu.

Looking back, the best progress I made was doing a 20 rep squat routine. I did a super high calorie diet w/ liberal amounts of milk and force feeds post workout and 1 free for all day, which was pretty much just ordering a pizza w/ some wings washed down w/ milk until I felt like I was going to puke.

When I started I think I was squatting about 305 for 1 rm. I was doing 5x5 sets across w/ 255 I think. I started at 225, then made 10 lb jumps for a couple workouts, then 5lb jumps. About 6 weeks later, I got 260 for 20, then 265 for 18. Not big weight by any means, but at that time I was pretty high on the troll factor, more concerned w/ a six pack than muscular size or strength. I’m not sure on BW but I want to say I was between 165 and 175. I stopped the program when I hit a bloated, post force need 190.

Looking back, that was the strongest I ever felt and probably was. I don’t think I could do 265 for 18 now.

Shortly after I hurt my shoulder doing an olympic lifting program, and made no progress for about 4-5 months. Now, I’m rehabbed and back progressing, but looking back that was the most memorable program I’ve ever done.

My one big regret is not doing starting strength as written w/ maybe half gomad and 3 big meals. I think I would be a world ahead of where I’m at now.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Looking back, the best progress I made was doing a 20 rep squat routine. I did a super high calorie diet w/ liberal amounts of milk and force feeds post workout and 1 free for all day, which was pretty much just ordering a pizza w/ some wings washed down w/ milk until I felt like I was going to puke.

When I started I think I was squatting about 305 for 1 rm. I was doing 5x5 sets across w/ 255 I think. I started at 225, then made 10 lb jumps for a couple workouts, then 5lb jumps. About 6 weeks later, I got 260 for 20, then 265 for 18. Not big weight by any means, but at that time I was pretty high on the troll factor, more concerned w/ a six pack than muscular size or strength. I’m not sure on BW but I want to say I was between 165 and 175. I stopped the program when I hit a bloated, post force need 190.

Looking back, that was the strongest I ever felt and probably was. I don’t think I could do 265 for 18 now.

Shortly after I hurt my shoulder doing an olympic lifting program, and made no progress for about 4-5 months. Now, I’m rehabbed and back progressing, but looking back that was the most memorable program I’ve ever done.

My one big regret is not doing starting strength as written w/ maybe half gomad and 3 big meals. I think I would be a world ahead of where I’m at now.[/quote]

I know how that feels. Injuries suck, I broke my hand and couldn’t do upper body for 6 weeks. Came back and did something to my meniscus right away (no lower body for another 4 weeks). This summer has just been me trying to get everything I had in the winter back.

And about the wing thing, I’m not worried about being too big. That’s just stupid to worry about that an be on this site. I WANT to be big one day (emphasis on one day. haven’t earned it yet). But, I personally, can’t add weight too fast because it will sacrifice speed. Some of you can maybe do that but I’m trying to keep my 100 meter time as close to 11 seconds as possible.

My best progress didn’t happen until I shelved the standard programs and started developing my own workouts, based on what actually produced the best results.

That said, the vanilla programs that delivered the most noticeable gains came from Ian King. Try his “Limping” and “Super Strength” series at the same time, alternating between each workout. I still benefit from the solid foundation I built doing these programs.