T Nation

Our New King

Our republic ended today. Not many noticed, but end it did. It had in fact mostly “All Hail Caesar!” The days of the republic are over.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article6399.html

Section 8 of the proposed legislation says it all:

“Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.”

Right; “non-reviewable” supremacy.

Congress, of course, is more than eager to abdicate whatever little authority they have left. They’re infinitely grateful for their purely ceremonial role, the equivalent of Caligula’s horse, albeit, with considerably less dignity. Has even one senator spoken out against this madness, which–according to informal internet polls–is resoundingly rejected by the voters? Does it concern the members of congress at all, that the present financial crisis was brought on by the proliferation and sale of trillions of dollars of mortgage-banked garbage which were fraudulently represented as Triple A rated bonds by the very same people who now claim to need unprecedented and dictatorial powers to fix the problem? Or are they more worried that the steady torrent of contributions which flows from Wall Street to congressional campaign coffers will be inconveniently disrupted if they fail to ratify this latest assault on democratic governance? The House of Representatives is one big steaming dungheap that should be leveled and turned into an amusement park instead of a taxpayer-funded knocking shop. What a pathetic collection of cowards and scumbags."

In Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, he notes a day in 476 AD, in which there would be no more Roman emperors and that no one noticed or cared. The Dark Ages followed.

Brilliant.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The Dark Ages followed.
[/quote]
Probably because the civilizations that were destroyed by Rome had to rebuild themselves from scratch. Hard to have a population of scholars and writers to take account of history when the majority of Europeans were made serfs to the left over political class of Roman rule hell bent on destroying their neighbors for more land.

I don’t know if you were trying to draw a parallel to current events or were just waxing poetic on history but I like to think the majority of Western people have become civilized by the expansion of trade and relatively peaceful government and are therefore not likely to bow to authoritarianism.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

I don’t know if you were trying to draw a parallel to current events or were just waxing poetic on history but I like to think the majority of Western people have become civilized by the expansion of trade and relatively peaceful government and are therefore not likely to bow to authoritarianism.[/quote]

You know I’d love to believe it as well but I think a lot of people are so apathetic that they wouldn’t know what hit them until it was too late.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

I don’t know if you were trying to draw a parallel to current events or were just waxing poetic on history but I like to think the majority of Western people have become civilized by the expansion of trade and relatively peaceful government and are therefore not likely to bow to authoritarianism.

You know I’d love to believe it as well but I think a lot of people are so apathetic that they wouldn’t know what hit them until it was too late.[/quote]

We may have an opportunity to see who is right. I hope I am.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

You know I’d love to believe it as well but I think a lot of people are so apathetic that they wouldn’t know what hit them until it was too late.

We may have an opportunity to see who is right. I hope I am.[/quote]

I hope so too. I just see too many friends and family who I don’t think really understand the tight rope we have been walking.

Just remember this is the society where people won’t make the effort to do something about their own health until their third triple bypass. What kind of quality of life do you have at that point?

Ignorance is bliss.

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:
<<< You know I’d love to believe it as well but I think a lot of people are so apathetic that they wouldn’t know what hit them until it was too late.[/quote]

Some of the people I see wouldn’t know they were hit at all even after it was too late unless they were literally dragged out of their houses by statist agents.

People DO NOT study history and have it in their minds that their freedom, what’s left of it just is, and will be forever… because.

Half our citizens don’t even be bother to vote.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Half our citizens don’t even be bother to vote.[/quote]

Considering our population, this may not be a bad thing.

My god, I’ve been talking to kids at my school about politics… I thought the College-Liberal-ignoramus was a caricature or an unfair stereotype… it’s fucking UNBELIEVABLE <_<

Of course, the conservatives are hardly any better. They fall into the retarded stereotype the libs have made to hate and don’t see any problem with that. Then again, our conservative newspaper WAS founded by HH’s favorite woman (other than Ayn Rand I suppose) :D.

I honestly don’t want the kids here who think that McCain is going to “give money directly to the oil companies and start a war with Russia” voting. Of course, I also don’t want the “if you burn the American flag you’re an unamerican cunt who should be thrown into prison” crowd voting either.

/sigh

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
My god, I’ve been talking to kids at my school about politics… I thought the College-Liberal-ignoramus was a caricature or an unfair stereotype… it’s fucking UNBELIEVABLE <_<
[/quote]

I know you aren’t going to admit it in public but that little blurb right there shows me that you know I was right in my characterization of you a year or so ago.

Trust me, I wish I was wrong sometimes. It’s hard fucking work to be right all the damn time.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Our republic ended today. Not many noticed, but end it did. It had in fact mostly “All Hail Caesar!” The days of the republic are over.

“Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.”

Congress, of course, is more than eager to abdicate whatever little authority they have left. They’re infinitely grateful for their purely ceremonial role, the equivalent of Caligula’s horse, albeit, with considerably less dignity. Has even one senator spoken out against this madness, which–according to informal internet polls–is resoundingly rejected by the voters? Does it concern the members of congress at all, that the present financial crisis was brought on by the proliferation and sale of trillions of dollars of mortgage-banked garbage which were fraudulently represented as Triple A rated bonds by the very same people who now claim to need unprecedented and dictatorial powers to fix the problem? Or are they more worried that the steady torrent of contributions which flows from Wall Street to congressional campaign coffers will be inconveniently disrupted if they fail to ratify this latest assault on democratic governance? The House of Representatives is one big steaming dungheap that should be leveled and turned into an amusement park instead of a taxpayer-funded knocking shop. What a pathetic collection of cowards and scumbags."

In Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, he notes a day in 476 AD, in which there would be no more Roman emperors and that no one noticed or cared. The Dark Ages followed.

[/quote]

Senators are not letting this run through. You are full of crap again as usual.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ioHc80xKMiATnqCpK0cDKJzk_nPQD93CJP9G2

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:

[/quote]

That is a point actually.

However, I know I’ll be accused of every form of bias for this, but the young conservatives I see (All 4 of em) are 100 times more thoughtful and informed than the hordes of wide eyed kids who don’t even know that they are liberal.

[quote]Ren wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ioHc80xKMiATnqCpK0cDKJzk_nPQD93CJP9G2[/quote]

The debate is still going on. If you listen to Jim Cramer, he is praying that it goes through. He promises a massive recession if it doesn’t.

Kudlow is on the opposite end, knowing something needs to be done, but not to the extent that the article HH links to is making it sound.

I hope you and your article is correct. I really REALLY hope you are correct.

***REALLY, [u]REALLY[/u] hope he’s correct.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:

However, I know I’ll be accused of every form of bias for this, but the young conservatives I see (All 4 of em) are 100 times more thoughtful and informed than the hordes of wide eyed kids who don’t even know that they are liberal.[/quote]

I tend to find that as well actually. Not true 100% of the time, but the majority. I think it has something to do with bucking the trend–if you go against the trend of everyone around you, you generally have to have a semblence of reasoning as to why you’re willing to put up with the grief you’re bound to get from everyone you know (if you bother to talk about your views in the slightest).

Not that they have to be even really well thought out reasons (especially the younger you are), but generally speaking you do have to have thought somewhat about why you aren’t going with everyone else.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

I know you aren’t going to admit it in public but that little blurb right there shows me that you know I was right in my characterization of you a year or so ago.

Trust me, I wish I was wrong sometimes. It’s hard fucking work to be right all the damn time. [/quote]

This is me, admitting it.

I won’t admit that my lack of experience completely devalues my opinion, I still think that was bullshit.

However… I was a dumb ass little snot nosed brat wasn’t I? :smiley:

I’ve gotten a lot better though, don’tcha think?

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:

However, I know I’ll be accused of every form of bias for this, but the young conservatives I see (All 4 of em) are 100 times more thoughtful and informed than the hordes of wide eyed kids who don’t even know that they are liberal.[/quote]

I’d be willing to bet most of these “young liberals” don’t have a job, and don’t have any personal responcibilities. Being in highschool I see the type all the time. Mouthbreathers who are concerned with not having to work 30 hours a week when they grow up, becuase “work sucks man”. Fuck them.

Every fucking hour bagging stupid people’s groceries with a smile on my face and a friendly “would you like paper or plastic” is just me inching my way towards my future. It sure as hell isn’t fun. Especially given half of my paycheck stays in the bank for college.

I really refute the idea of working at a low end job for several years so I can go to college and get a good job and feed people who didn’t.

I will say it again:
Fuck them.

My parents are your typical liberal voter. Drunk on the free shit, because rich people are bad koolaid. My parents won’t recognize the factories aren’t coming back without massive deregulation, and that the oil companies aren’t evil.

The saddest part is we won’t benefit from Obama. My parents think they will, One is college educated and another a 50+ hour a week factory employee we’re pretty damn well off. But I don’t think we’ll be able to handle a massive price increase in everything and not feel it.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
AssOnGrass wrote:
<<< You know I’d love to believe it as well but I think a lot of people are so apathetic that they wouldn’t know what hit them until it was too late.

Some of the people I see wouldn’t know they were hit at all even after it was too late unless they were literally dragged out of their houses by statist agents.

People DO NOT study history and have it in their minds that their freedom, what’s left of it just is, and will be forever… because.

Half our citizens don’t even be bother to vote.[/quote]

This CAN be true. However, many of the conservatives here have banded together under the “Cornell Review”, a paper that was started by none other than Ann Coulter. They’re 100% crass, moronic, and even when they make a good point, they cover it in so much bullshit and ad hominems it’s lost.

They live up to every stereotype the libs have placed on conservatives to make hating them easier.

However, the few, individual conservative kids I met (mostly libertarian leaning because very few teens are socially conservative, barring hate crime and AA issues), have been FAR more informed than the “Corporations are raping the trees for cash” kids.

So, in some regards, you’re correct. I think that has more to do with there being so few conservative teens and so many libs, given that most teens are retardedly uninformed.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Ren wrote:
Headhunter wrote:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ioHc80xKMiATnqCpK0cDKJzk_nPQD93CJP9G2

The debate is still going on. If you listen to Jim Cramer, he is praying that it goes through. He promises a massive recession if it doesn’t.

Kudlow is on the opposite end, knowing something needs to be done, but not to the extent that the article HH links to is making it sound.

I hope you and your article is correct. I really REALLY hope you are correct.

[/quote]

Hey, we agree on something!

Although I would be worried if we disagreed that giving a blank check to the tune of $700b to an agency with no congressional oversight at the recommendation of individuals who have had heavy influence and control in the companies that are failing and would stand to benefit the most is a bad idea.

damn that is a mouthful.

[quote]Ren wrote:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ioHc80xKMiATnqCpK0cDKJzk_nPQD93CJP9G2[/quote]

Just the fact that anyone could seriously propose such a measure as I posted and not be tarred and feathered tells us how the times have changed. Wait until the recession/depression really hits. The climate is prepared now for the coup de gra.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
coup de gra.[/quote]

The last act of a fat nation?