Our Dog Has Cancer

Again, dude, best of luck.

contact the University of Georgia School of Veterinary Medicine.
http://www.vet.uga.edu/hospital/smallanimal/oncology/index.php
they are one of the best when it comes to canine cancer.

the article trot for the cure is about Rafter. I know the woman that owned him. he did die but he lived longer than anyone thought he would and it was a good life, not full of pain.

good luck. hope this helps.

I hope for a speedy recovery for your dog.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
just found out yesterday our 8 yr old dane has lymphoma (from the symptoms thought to be stage 3).

We discuss treatment options tonight. Talked briefly over the phone, without treatment 3 months is what can be expected, chemo seems to be rather successful with this type of cancer.

anyone’s dog had lymphoma? what was your experience/results/cost?[/quote]

I had to put my 13 year old Blue Healer down about a year ago. She too had developed cancer. A very aggressive cancer, with 0% chance of recovery. I put her on Prednisone and it bought her two more months of a happy life. Then the cancer about ate her alive, and I put her down. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.

I lost 2 dogs to cancer, think i dragged it out too long with my first which i still regret 3years later. My other dog, my rotty got bone cancer and even with 6months of treatment and checks we didn’t now it was this until the cancer burst through her shoulder, i waited just one day and had her put to sleep.

Whatever you do, don’t let your little buddy suffer no matter how much it hurts to lose them x

For sure. I’m at peace with doing what is best for her, length/quality. Love her too much just to keep her around because I don’t want to see her go

Just had the consult.

aggressive 26 wk Wisconsin Protocol. 80-90% remission rate for avg time of 12 months. $6,000. Drop at vet once per week for the day for 13 weeks, then next 13 weeks every other week, even if in remission.

less aggressive, single drug chemo, approximately half the price. about same success rate of remission, but shorter remission time of 7 months. Only requires 4-5 treatments every 3 weeks or so.

While price is a factor, it’s not the biggest factor. I’m leaning towards the less aggressive treatment b/c of less visits and overall less toxic.

She doesn’t shake/tremble at the vet, but soon as we got out the car she was shaking like a leaf. Inside environment didn’t please me, lots of echoes and voice volume increases b/c of the ceilings. This may seem trivial, but she’s a skiddish dog to begin with, and doesn’t like when I’m not around. Not sure I’m up for weekly drop offs for her and her well-being, even if that buys another 5 months on avg.

will be discussing with the wife tonight.

We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet; amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us.

Maurice Maeterlinck

Best of luck to the little guy.

Whatever your decision, know that your canine companion cherishes every moment spent with you. While they may sense our own emotions, they don’t know what’s really going on, and trust us completely with their welfare. Whatever you chose, know that it’s the best option, and that it’s made out of love and loyalty.

S

The solution is simple but oh so very hard to do.

If you love your dog and I mean truly love your dog because it isn’t “like” a member of the family but “is” a member of the family, then there is only one thing to do. Do the stuff your dog loves to do for as long as it seems relatively pain free and as long as your dog continues to want to be part of the family. As soon as it is in a good amount of pain or doesn’t seem to want to live any more then you get to the hard part.

Take your dog and put it in its favorite seat in the car. Bring your dog’s favorite treats and toy. You then go out to the country and find a nice secluded area. Maybe throw the Frisbee a few more times if your dog is up to it. Then you let it know that you’ll always love your dog and then quickly put it out of its misery. Bury your loved one in a nice discreet area with a nice view. If you truly love your dog you’ll do this for it but very few will ever have the strength to do it. Don’t let some fucking stranger do your duty for you. Your dog deserves better than that.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
The solution is simple but oh so very hard to do.

Take your dog and put it in its favorite seat in the car. Bring your dog’s favorite treats and toy. You then go out to the country and find a nice secluded area. Maybe throw the Frisbee a few more times if your dog is up to it. Then you let it know that you’ll always love your dog and then quickly put it out of its misery. Bury your loved one in a nice discreet area with a nice view. If you truly love your dog you’ll do this for it but very few will ever have the strength to do it. Don’t let some fucking stranger do your duty for you. Your dog deserves better than that.[/quote]

Good in theory, but I ain’t puttin my dog down. Best case scenario she goes on her own… The plan would be for cremation and to keep the ashes.

Would bury at our house, but being our first home, we won’t be living there till we’re gone.

Well, it’s been 2 months since diagnosis. A correction to my original post, without treatment 1 month would have been the prognosis.

She’s had her 3rd chemo treatment thus far with a max of 2 more.

Along with a raw diet, the attached pic shows the supplements she is on. It’s costing a ton with the raw diet and supplements, but I look at it this way, people pay $500/month for a car payment, well she’s our car payment.

Will probably ditch the REZ-V and Glutathione after they are gone since REZ-V is the most expensive per day and the glutathione probably doesn’t get absorbed well enough to justify it.

If anyone runs into dog cancer in the future, feel free to contact me. I’ve done a ton of research on it.

Gracie lost her battle last night, 4 months after diagnosis. In the past week she wasn’t the same dog and let us know it was time.

Sorry to hear that man. Our lab just got put on meds for congestive heart failure. She can’t jump on her favorite spot in the couch anymore. It sucks watching this play out. Remember the good times.

That sucks man, very sorry to hear it!

You did everything you could for her

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Sorry to hear that man. Our lab just got put on meds for congestive heart failure. She can’t jump on her favorite spot in the couch anymore. It sucks watching this play out. Remember the good times.[/quote]

while this suggestion is probably way too late, but you may want to discuss Ubiquinol (better form of CoQ10) supplementation with your vet.

Jarrow makes 100mg and 200mg gel pills.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Sorry to hear that man. Our lab just got put on meds for congestive heart failure. She can’t jump on her favorite spot in the couch anymore. It sucks watching this play out. Remember the good times.[/quote]

while this suggestion is probably way too late, but you may want to discuss Ubiquinol (better form of CoQ10) supplementation with your vet.

Jarrow makes 100mg and 200mg gel pills.[/quote]

Thx, I’ll keep that one in mind. She was spitting up fluid and we put her on Vetmedin/Salix along with a lasix shot. Totally cleared up the fluid, but is causing some muscle weakness. There’s no going back on what she has, so I’m just making sure things are kept as comfortable as possible, as long as possible.