T Nation

Our Dog Has Cancer

just found out yesterday our 8 yr old dane has lymphoma (from the symptoms thought to be stage 3).

We discuss treatment options tonight. Talked briefly over the phone, without treatment 3 months is what can be expected, chemo seems to be rather successful with this type of cancer.

anyone's dog had lymphoma? what was your experience/results/cost?

She's been on grain free food for several months already, Orijen brand. Artemis before that.

12g fish oil daily
400-800 IU vitamin E
glucosamine every other day or so
digestive enzymes daily (upped after diagnosis)

Supplements recently added after diagnosis:
200mg CoQ10
Curcumin (one vet recommends 4g daily)
Vitamin C (starting 250mg/day will increaes up to tolerance)
1/2 scoop Superfood

will probably add in Rez-V as well

Sorry to hear that... I have a real soft spot for dogs, having grown up with at least one around at any given time...

Nothing useful to contribute to your question, sorry. Hope he/she recovers.

While I can't speak from experience on this specific disease, I can tell you that I've always felt a special bond with the canines in my life, and have put myself into debt on more than one ocassion for my 'furry friends'. Money is just money, and I don't regret any spending on creatures that bring such happiness and love into your life a waste.

With that said, and older gentleman who lives in my building, and has always had dogs as well as cats, put things this way for me when my old Siberian Husky first started to show signs of 'problems': Be his friend just as surely as he has always been yours. Do everything you can, so long as he is not in pain, and is able to carry on with dignity. When the time does indeed come, do for him what he would do for you.

I hope with all my heart that your options allow you and your companion much more time together.

I think your neighbors advice is very sound. I too have an affinity for dogs and am inclined to want to keep them around even if it isn't their best interest.

Dogs will espouse loyalty and love to the literal very end and it can hard to let go without feeling responsible.

It's my opinion that if something can be done to save the dog without making suffer for a longer amount of time then it's a good treatment.

If the dog lives longer but is in more pain, probably not. If subjecting a dog to chemo to squeeze a few more months of life out of him is the gist, probably not a good idea. He will just be sick and suffering for slightly longer.

I too hope that chemo gives him more years of health and happiness once he recovers though.

Ugh, sorry to hear this man. Any new news on treatment?

My Husky recently had surgery to remove a malignant Mast Cell Tumor, but showed no other signs of it spreading. So far so good on the tumor not coming back. She didn't undergo Chemo or any of that type of therapy.

Lymphoma, unfortunately, is a whole different ball game, I don't envy the choices you have to make. It's not an easy thing.

Well, the consult with the vet is tonight on a plan of action.

I've also ordered a book on dogs and cancer by a Dr. Dressler. Tons of his articles to read through today.

No specific experience with lymphoma, but one of my dogs (mostly my mother's, really), who has since passed away, had a cancerous tumor on her brain stem, of all places. I don't know specifics about it, but she was pretty bad... started having trouble walking, was always losing her balance, had mini-seizures, etc.

They couldn't do surgery because of where the tumor was, so my mom opted to go with the chemo. It was expensive and it's not exactly a great time for the dog, BUT... she lived 3-4 more very happy years. The way things were going, without treatment, it didn't look like she was gonna make it another month.

I have been there. I have had a bulldog and bull mastiff that were stricken with lymphoma. Bulldog was 5 when diagnosed, put on the wisconsisn protocol (26 weeks), and lived approx another two yrs. In the end the chemo drugs and resurgence of the cancer got him. Cost was approx 4-6k? Bullmastiff passed within 3 weeks of diagnosis. Don't know what path i would choose if faced with same decision again.

Been there. I bit the bullet & got him the chemo. He's now completely rid of it. Though he is missing half a lip. Outside of what I think we humans go through, tired, sleep, lethargic, he championed his way through it. The little weasel in my avi, is the one that I speak of.

I was even told that it was unheard of for a lab to get this kinda Cancer. Considering the shade of him & his personality, it would not surprise me if he had Weimaraner in him.

Oh & it ran me 1200 bucks for the fix.

Tough tough news man.

Sorry to go off track here but $4-6k!!! It's ridiculous how the same treatment can cost so much more for a human. If I ever get cancer I guess I'm headed to the local vet!

I had a chocolate lab once. Got him when I was about twelve or so, because I had a somewhat debilitating fear of dogs ever since I was very young.

I subsequently overcame my fear of dogs, and loved the shit out of that little goofball for seven years. Fucker broke the rocking chair after he kept climbing into it with me when he weighed 120.

Then he got cancer. By the time we noticed the lump on his face, it had spread everywhere.

Maybe it's just me, but after he died I never really felt bad about it. I miss him, and I loved him, but we had our time. Never felt chemo or anything would make sense.

Sorry to hear the news, man.

In all honesty though, it's a Dane, how much longer would he/she be around w/o the cancer?

Is there socialized medicine for dogs?

Oh well....

Anyhow Stossels comparison of a human vs an animal clinic in Canada was hilarious.

I'd drop that in a heart beat. Great news for your dog and thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear man. I wish you and your pup all the best. :frowning:

avg is 8.5 mainly due to heart issues (hers looks good), and bone cancer, along with BLOAT does a lot in.

she's in great health otherwise, and some live 10-12 yrs, though I've read/heard of 2, 15-16 yrs which I know is extremely extremely rare

pets also get a much lower dose of chemo (not sure that changes the price too much or not)

No fun dude.

Sorry to hear that. Sick/dying pets are so tough to deal with emotionally-- they certainly become part of the family. I've always wondered if it's better or worse that dogs don't have a longer lifespan.

I hope she does well with treatment- good luck.