T Nation

Our Department Is Being Defunded

How can both be true…

The good thing for those who aren’t afraid to face the past with all of its potential ugliness, and the bad thing for the apologists trying to make this some twisted libertarian state’s rights issue, is we have actual documents from southerners at the time who are not ashamed to claim it was indeed all about slavery.

In the wake of sustained protests and calls to defund the police last summer, Portland’s City Commission cut some funding and disbanded the gun violence reduction unit.

In the past 10 months, the department has experienced a rapid turnover on its police force and has its lowest staffing levels in decades. Many of the officers who have left cited low morale and burnout from nightly racial justice protests that ended in confrontation and plumes of teargas.

Despite police pleas for more personnel, city leaders last year slashed $27 million from the police budget — $11 million due to the pandemic-caused budget crisis and $15 million amid calls to defund the police — vowing to devote money to community groups working to curb gun violence.

"You don’t realize how much you need the police until they’re not there."

— Bob Carlson, Venice Beach business owner

1 Like

Because they are separate issues. The Confederate States leaving the United States definitely had plenty to do with the issue of slavery. The war was to force the Confederate States back into the U.S., however.

That’s not what he posted. He said people argued that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. If you’re ignoring one of the chief causes for the start of it you’re screwing up. You can’t understand or discuss the Civil War properly without discussion of slavery. Trying to nit up the topic is stupid.

1 Like

I take it you must only be speaking about slavery and the civil war.

Threads about bad Democrat policy outcomes are where many seem to believe nitpicking is urgently needed.

I believe who I was replying to was obvious. As what I was replying about.

Or perhaps just correcting things that are untrue from what I’ve read in here.

President Biden gives a very bizarre answer when asked if Democrats support defunding the police.

I’ve never heard that particular criticism of Biden before, but it makes me wonder why he brings it up when asked a totally unrelated question. Pawing and sniffing scared little girls on CSPAN is one thing, but drinking their blood?

I kid, I kid. Biden is obviously great around kids and would never drink their blood in some black sacrament.

Follow link for video.

Do you actually believe in QANON?

South Park did a really good episode on QANON where it turned out to be real. It was satire to the most ridiculous degree.

1 Like

I have not ventured into the QANON rabbit hole. Alex Jones, George Noory and PWI are my main sources of extremist content.

1 Like

You should venture down into it. It’s hilarious

Quick wiki summary
“QAnon, or simply Q, is a discredited far-right conspiracy theory alleging that a cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President of the United States Donald Trump during his term in office. QAnon has been described as a cult”

Then I can uniquely identify various political ideologies and pander them towards this conspiracy “the small minority of democrats that want to defund the police clearly only want to make it easier to run a global ring of human trafficking”.

All jokes aside, organised worldwide criminal syndicates dealing with this subject matter probably do exist and it is of the utmost importance to try combat this abhorrent, morally bankrupt trade.

But it almost certainly has nothing to do with democrats as a whole, it almost certainly has nothing to do with satanism or cannibalism either. Plenty of politicians were enveloped within the Jeffrey Epstein’s social circle… Donald Trump included.

Every cult nees a leader. I REALLY hope Q exposes himself someday. I’m so curious.

1 Like

I don’t think QANON is a cult

I DO think it’s a widely discredited crock of shit

Probably just a random troll trying to see what kind of horseshit people would buy. And a lot of people bought it.

1 Like

Commie subversion.

1 Like

Agree, that’s what I was trying to say

Agree again

The most shocking statement of the last year :roll_eyes:. I’d laugh if it weren’t so depressing. Ah well, there’s always gallows humor.

Poe’s law is a real thing.

A bunch of autistic 4chan trolls.

But there had to be one troll who came up with the original idea. My dream is for it to turn out to have been James Carville.

1 Like

Liberal mega-donor George Soros has directed $1 million to an activist group attempting to defund the police as violent crime surges in major urban centers across the nation.

Soros sent the million dollars via his Color Of Change PAC on May 14, according to Federal Election Commission files obtained by the Washington Free Beacon.

*The organization describes itself as “the nation’s largest online racial justice organization” and actively engages in efforts to defund police departments such as spreading an online petition calling for “divesting from and dismantling the systems that unjustly harm Black people.” *

The group also backed a push by the Milwaukee City Council to defund the police.

"Policing is a violent institution that must end," the group’s president wrote in a statement supporting the move. "We imagine a country where there is enough money to educate our children, care for our sick and feed those who are financially unstable. Defunding the police allows for this vision."

Violent crime has surged dramatically in many large cities across the United States this year, including in areas where Soros has spent large sums of money electing Democratic candidates who have promised to ease sentencing requirements and implement relaxed bail reform laws.

In 2018, Soros spent millions of dollars to help elect current Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon who promised to implement sentencing reforms and decriminalize certain illegal activities. In 2021, the Los Angeles City Council redirected funds from the LAPD to social outreach organizations.

This year in Los Angeles, murders are up 20% and violent crime has spiked which has contributed to a rampant homeless crisis that many argue Gascon’s policies have made worse.

*Philadelphia, where Soros spent almost $2 million electing District Attorney Larry Krasner, currently has the highest murder rate per capita among the 10 largest cities in the country and homicides have risen 35% this year. *

"When George Soros funded scores of elections for prosecutors who have no intention of prosecuting criminals and every intention of prosecuting police officers

And lets give a warm welcome to the war zone nicknamed “Chicago” where 200 kids under the age of 17 have been shot so far this year.

1 Like

Anyone who has worked in the inner cities, and is honest, will tell you they will never have enough money. This isn’t about the police but is a money grab. The police just happen to be more vulnerable to having their funds redistributed.

2 Likes

Violent crime has gone up literally everywhere in the US over the past 1-2 years in direct correlation with civil unrest mediated by the pandemic/political instability.

I’m not sure if the uptick in crime can be directly attributed to the anti-police initiatives given that the uptick appears to be damn near uniform across the US, with high crime cities/neighbourhoods seeing the most dramatic increases in homicide rates

I don’t think this is a bad thing if we refer to minor misdemeanours (not violent crimes) or otherwise non violent crimes like (most) traffic offences, low level drug possession, low level tax evasion etc. Prison ought to be a place where those deemed a serious danger to society are kept… Lumping in petty thieves, a kid with a bit of pot on him, an old man prematurely accessing his retirement fund and the likes with hardened criminals imo is a recipie for disaster.

If you’re talking about bailing out gang members and the likes, that is problematic