T Nation

Other Animal Oils for Joint Health?

I was doing some research as far as some quality joint supplements and I came across the use of snake oil in China for joint health.

Anyone have sources or can elaborate on snake oil use and other animal oil use?

Also any suggestions of quality joint supplements apart from fish oil, maybe other oils or MSM and the like?

Snake oil is, and always has been, a valid product. It also contains various healthy fatty acids, including the essential fats, but maybe not as high as fish.

BTW, the term "snake oil salesmen" does a disservice to the snake oil. Unscrupulous people who bottle colored tap water gave it a bad name. :slightly_smiling:

But, I'll tell ya, I wouldn't waste my time on trying to get snake oil. Fish, flax, and krill oil (pushed by Dr Mercola) should have sufficient Omega3's for anyone (I get my n-3's from a combination of fish and flax; mostly Flameout and some ground flax in my daily shakes).

Some people swear on chondroitin and MSM, and you can certainly try them, but maybe you should shoot for eating enough high-quality foods first, then supplement with what you're missing. For example, if you don't eat a lot of fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring, etc, then supplement with Flameout or another quality fish oil.

Also don't forget that joint training, like with Warrior Wellness, ZHealth, or Magnificent Mobility (to name only a few), can go very far in improving and/or restoring joint health.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.