OT: GP/PCP Ignorance

Quick update to laugh/cry at.

I received a letter through the post from my local doctors surgery.
It informed me that while they agree that BP, Chol and sex hormones will (not can) be negatively affected by steroid use, they will not be testing my blood as they do not agree with the use of steroids for any purpose other than when prescribed by one of their (incompetent and ignorant) doctors.

Not only that, but they TOLD me to stop using the steroids in an official letter, and also had the audacity to suggest that they felt my attitude was aggressive in its nature which is also a well known effect of the drugs and to cease immediately!

I was gobsmacked!

This nurse or doctor was in no way threatened by me, maybe embarassed that she knew little about the drugs and freely admitted that most doctors and nurses were as ignorant. I didn’t raise my voice (god forbid) or even hold a gaze (i never do with passive strangers in case they feel threatened!). I was humble but direct in my needs. It confused the hell out of me.

I get that alot actually, hence my reluctance to admit i use AAS (as if people can’t tell immediately anyway) as people assume ‘roid rage’ is lurking around every corner.

The truth is when i was 160lbs and lean and fit, when i was arguing a point or getting hot under the collar, no-one batted an eyelid. And 9 times of 10 it is harmless debate. I have Mediterranean blood is all i can attribute it to.
Now i am 210 and have a certain (apparently) intimidating presence, if i begin to get in the slightest bit worked up about some bullshit procedure, rumour, TV show… whatever, i get all sorts of accusations… with women and children running screaming from the vicinity! (OK, that has never happened, but so many people make me feel like that is what is next if i show a little passion about a topic!)

My mother on one hand tells me that my eyes are too dark, and that my gaze is unnerving (it is funny as inside my head is quite a different story) and i should begin to change the way i interact as my size grows… because plain and simply regular people are terribly unnerved by a muscular man.
On the other hand when she has some road rager shout obscenities at her, she admits wishing i was there!

Now i won’t be stopping BB because so many people are so damn pussified they think that anyone with larger muscles is going to beat on them at any given moment - but it is really offending when people you know and love seem to all of a sudden think you are going to be violent towards them, when there has never been a reason to believe that.
I am also hesitant to change my ways/personality/mannerisms just for other peoples insecurity, but i will admit i am starting to feel alienated by this somewhat. It is pretty shit.

I am definitely going to try to chill a little, as although i know that when i get aggravated that there is very rarely a violent intention (and when there is it is clear), others seem to struggle to be able to tell that…

JJ

I told you I would’ve liked to be a fly on the wall :wink:

Lol @ this story.

I hope you can find a better doctor Brook.

I’m more surprised by the fact that they actually took the time to type out a letter and send it to you - you must have made quite an impression. Most offices would just let you know you’ve been dropped the next time you call for an appointment.

It’s frustrating that we all know the bullshit scare tactics doctors use with steroids are just a way of covering their own damn asses. They don’t want to touch the stuff, and as a result, guys who could manage their health on cycle easily with a little supervision don’t get the help and resources they need. Now where did I put that Hippocratic oath…

[quote]BenceJones wrote:
Dave Rogerson wrote:
And to be fair, my gyno was not for him to discuss with another, you know! For some, it would be a personal issue that I imagine would be quite embarrassing and emasculating. To have an open discussion without the patient’s approval is unprofessional.

A medical student or resident doctor is privy to all of your information and files. Discussing your case with them is part of the process.[/quote]

Whenever I see patients with a doctor, that doctor must seek permission from the patient for me to be there prior to talking about anything. Also, if I get caught looking at patient notes / computerised files without obtaining permission from those people first, then im in deeeeeep shit (and the computer system keeps a log of whose files you view, and this list is periodically audited). Granted I live in Aus so I accept that the system could be different elsewhere, but I very much doubt it.

I would not expect GPs or even Endos to have a deep knowledge of AAS when it comes to the higher doses used in Strength/Physqiue sports, but the vast majority lack even basic knowledge in respect to TRT in “legitimate” cases.

Whilst the lack of knowledge regarding AAS is disgusting, the state of affairs is not much better when is comes to corticosteroids - which pose a far more immediate threat to the patient if things go tits up. Needless to say, CS are prescribed far more often than they should be, yet the understanding is just not there.

There aren’t even set protocols or even guidelines for CS cover in the UK! Crazy! It’s basically all guesswork.

Don’t even get me started on antibiotics, our country is in a complete clusterfuck now thanks to previous generations’ stupidity on this front.

[quote] Brook wrote:

It informed me that while they agree that BP, Chol and sex hormones will (not can) be negatively affected by steroid use, they will not be testing my blood as they do not agree with the use of steroids for any purpose other than when prescribed by one of their (incompetent and ignorant) doctors.

Not only that, but they TOLD me to stop using the steroids in an official letter, and also had the audacity to suggest that they felt my attitude was aggressive in its nature which is also a well known effect of the drugs and to cease immediately!

I was gobsmacked![/quote]

Don’t fall for the “official” tone of it all. Both the NHS and the local councils are backed up by the authority of the GOV. It’s politics, or as I call it “bollocktics”. It has nothing to do with your personal well being and safety but rather siphoning our tax payer money to suit their agendas. So, of course they must sound “official” in order to feign the authority to refuse to treat you with your own money.

I have not seen a GP for 8 years and have replaced them by a private ‘quack’, ; )
The internet for personal research, and other sports individuals who have learnt from personal experience and self-experimentation.
And ‘warrior’ internet doctors from Romania…

: D

I have zero trust for anyone providing a service with government funded money.
It’s like living with your parents all over again:

“We make the all the decisions because we know what is best for you”

Except that the parents were in their right position. The system isn’t.

[quote]GGlife wrote:
BenceJones wrote:
Dave Rogerson wrote:
And to be fair, my gyno was not for him to discuss with another, you know! For some, it would be a personal issue that I imagine would be quite embarrassing and emasculating. To have an open discussion without the patient’s approval is unprofessional.

A medical student or resident doctor is privy to all of your information and files. Discussing your case with them is part of the process.

Whenever I see patients with a doctor, that doctor must seek permission from the patient for me to be there prior to talking about anything. Also, if I get caught looking at patient notes / computerised files without obtaining permission from those people first, then im in deeeeeep shit (and the computer system keeps a log of whose files you view, and this list is periodically audited). Granted I live in Aus so I accept that the system could be different elsewhere, but I very much doubt it.
[/quote]

FWIW, I studied in London and it’s a total free-for-all.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
Brook wrote:

I was gobsmacked!

Don’t fall for the “official” tone of it all. Both the NHS and the local councils are backed up by the authority of the GOV. It’s politics, or as I call it “bollocktics”. It has nothing to do with your personal well being and safety but rather siphoning our tax payer money to suit their agendas. So, of course they must sound “official” in order to feign the authority to refuse to treat you with your own money.

I have not seen a GP for 8 years and have replaced them by a private ‘quack’, ; )
The internet for personal research, and other sports individuals who have learnt from personal experience and self-experimentation.
And ‘warrior’ internet doctors from Romania…

: D

I have zero trust for anyone providing a service with government funded money.
It’s like living with your parents all over again:

“We make the all the decisions because we know what is best for you”

Except that the parents were in their right position. The system isn’t.

[/quote]

I was actually considering taking the letter and going to complain. It was signed by not one of the 3 practicing GP’s indicating my private personal details were a free for all. I seriously object to not only being told what to do by professionals who admit to knowing very little (as much as Joe Public) about the subject, and i really object to the quote “It is our opinion that you were aggressive and this is also…”

However., BECAUSE of the last line, it made it near impossible to venture down there with letter in hand without backing up a pre-conceived notion about AAS.

My mother knows i use, and i spoke to her about it too… explaining the frustration that as a human i cannot complain in the most normal way if people know i use, because they automatically assume i have lost all control of my emotions! It is crazy!

As for a Private GP… definitely. Another brit poster advised me to do the same, and after this i just might.

Brook