Ostrich and Other 'Exotic' Meats

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
I assume alligator tastes the same as crocodile, which would be good.
I am a big fan of buffalo, kosher meat seems to taste better (I think it has to do with the cuts used).
Did not like ostrich the time I tried it.[/quote]

Anything particular about the ostrich you didn’t like? Strong taste etc? Toughness?

Cheers![/quote]

Had ostrich at a tapas bar, so it could have been how it was prepared. It was very gamey, which I generally like, but did not that time. I was eating with a guy from China who did not like it either. In case anyone thought of suggesting cultural bias.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Had ostrich at a tapas bar, so it could have been how it was prepared. It was very gamey, which I generally like, but did not that time. I was eating with a guy from China who did not like it either. In case anyone thought of suggesting cultural bias.[/quote]

I thought it was bland without being spiced up, but considering your Chinese colleague did not like it, I would bet you got crappy ostrich. There is not much the Chinese won’t eat.

last fourth of july a buddy and I decided to be men and grill buffalo burgers. Took one bite and thought a dog farted in my mouth. Wasn’t used to gamey. That was a big dissapointment.

My buddy on the other hand munched away on his happily because hes malaysian. He said “Whats gamey?”

He recently admitted to me that he ate dolphin burger back home, that it was quite tasty, and the weight of that on his conscience is part of the reason for his conversion to vegetarianism.

Buffalo/Bison; Amazing wish i could get it here.

Alligator; pretty good if it’s done right, like any cajun style.

Ostrich; Found it a little too gamey and dry.

Elk and Emu; I know they are totally different but one was really good and one was really greasy. I tried them at the same time a few years ago and can’t remember which I liked more, but I believe the elk was quite good.

Boar; Tastes like mildly gamey pork (no surprise).

Shark; Amazing, and I don’t normally like much seafood.

Snake (Rattler); Not impressed.

Frog Legs; tastes like chicken.

Had Ostrich last year at the Billagio buffet in Vegas. Best buffet ever by the way, and it was one of the tastier meats i’ve ever had, wish I could find it around here. I had one of those “Tender bison” fillets from walmart the other day, to be honest it wasn’t half bad.

Hello. I don’t often join in but:

Ostrich is fantastic.

Alligator and croc similar- gamey meat.

Kangaroo’s tasty.

Emu is chicken…but massive

Elephant steak (South Africa) is a bit tough but pretty nice.

Warthog is just another tough, chewy pork

Buffalo (Nepal) is very gamey but pretty good once it’s stewed

Cat (Vietnam) is a waste of time as is dog…they’re nearly always stewed but still tough as leather.

Crickets are crunchy and bits get in your teeth like nobody’s business. You can get salt and vinegar ones though. Doubt their 20g protein each.

Sheep’s brain (India) tastes of precisely nothing

Conch (Cayman) is unbelievably fantastic and if you ever get the chance to try Conch fritters…do.

Had whole frog in Vietnam- don’t know why anyone ever throws the rest away and only eats the legs- Turns out
Kermit has quite a lot of meat on him.

Sorry.
I’ve gone on a bit here.

Last point:
Magicpunch- if you live in London get yourself to Borough Market under London Bridge Friday Afternoons and Saturday mornings- lots of interesting meats and you can buy Ostritch eggs which will make omlettes for four…or two greedy people

I’ve had bison, venison, ostrich, iguana, gator, wild boar, water buffalo, rabbit, etc. They’re all pretty good in my book but I thought ostrich was way too dry (probably overcooked). I couldn’t eat cats or dogs though…

Had a giant elk steak second to last time I was in Colorado. Never knew what the term “gamey” meant until eating that steak.

Buffalo burgers are pretty good. Never had it prepared any other way.

A buddy of mine shot a couple of boars and made all kinds of stuff. The boar sausage was fantastic.

Frog doesn’t taste like chicken, it tastes like nothing.

Tried ostrich a long time ago but honestly don’t remember what it tatses like, so couldn’t have been that good. Same thing with snake and rabbit.

My oldest brother makes venison jerky from time to time, and that is awesome.

You couldn’t pay me to eat dog.

Ostrich is good, just cook it quick since its so lean, otherwise is dries out horribly. I love all the gamy meats… ostrich, buffalo, rabbit, venison, as well as pigeon, quail, pheasant. I had horse meat as a kid in Italy, tough as hell but edible. Boar (guanciale) is delicious, you throw that in anything and its pure win.

I eat venison on a near daily basis. Super lean, tasty if prepared correctly, amazing on the grill and free if you know enough hunters.

Here’s an easy recipe. Take two pounds of ground venison, 1 large hot chili pepper diced (I like jalapenos), 6 big cloves of garlic diced, 1 tbsp of cumin, 1 tbsp of sweet paprika and 1 - 2 tbsp of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt or kosher salt and a bunch of black pepper. Mix everything together, form into meat balls about 2 inches across, skewer on metal bbq skewers or soaked wooden skewers and cook on a charcoal grill until the meat takes on a glowing reddish color on the outside. Eat it all. Or, if you need to make friends, share it. People will love you. You can use this same recipe with lamb, beef, bison or a mix of any of these meats. My favorite is the venison though.