Osterm38's Beast Building Log

[quote]mavis13 wrote:
osterm38 wrote:
WEEK 2:
Day 1 (Wednesday 5/14/08): Motor Skill Acquisition (8-12)x2x(85% 1RM)
morning weight: 172 (+2lbs since the start of WEEK 1).

A: BB Flat Bench: 5x2x225 (6th one failed on 2nd rep), 1x2x205, 1x2x210
(unlike the first week, today I did not use the horizontally supportive bench; the one where its ball bearings do not slow the resistance)

B: BB Snatch Grip DL: 1x2x225, 2x2x255, 5x2x275
(I used hand wraps today, which helped my wide snatch grip since the bar’s grip was worn to hell, this helped a lot and I should’ve used the wraps last week too)

C: BB Bent-over Rows: 1x2x145, 1x2x155, 7x2x165
(I feel weak on this, but I want my form to be perfect)

ab work, similar to last week.

I’m definitely feeling this program. It’s already week 2 and I’ve been sleeping 8-9 hours a night (as opposed to 7 hours usually during the semester), so I know my CNS is getting beat up in a good way. Can’t wait for tomorrow for the isometrics/explosions…

Damn thats good weight for snatch grip deads. Hell thats more then I can do. Sometime try doing snatch grip deads on a couple plates or a low box. Talk about killer.

I felt weak on bent over rows too. Mostly because I was working in with a buddy who was doing bent over rows too. He uses 315lbs 6reps good form too.

Man I cant sleep worth crap Im use to atleast 8hrs the past 2 nites have been good. I think it was the times I was taking HOT-ROX I just switched to taking them at noon so I think its helped. I love isometric days too. Hell Im really digging the whole program. Keep up the good work.
[/quote]

Thanks Mavis. Yeah the Snatch grip DL’s are killer, I’ve tried them before on two 25s or 45s (can’t remember), and wasn’t able to do much (135-155?). I really pushed for the 2x275 yesterday, although I think my upper back was not as straight as I’d like. Unfortunately I had to used wraps too, but I never use them any other time (I’ve also never tried a belt while doing any lifts, does it help? Maybe not with the light weight I’m pulling…).

Check this out http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=505125 It shows a good pic of bentover rows. Thats about how I do them slight bend and pull to the hip/ab area. Try also to get better form by resting your head on the back of a incline bench it might help.

Yeah I dont wear wraps for anything. Sometime Ill use gloves. I stopped wearing belts and it actually took my low back pain away. I dont think belts help much at all. Just concentrate on form that should help. Well Im off to the gym.

Week 2, Day 2 (5/15/08)
Isometric/Explosive

A1. (Iso) Conventional DL (at the knee position): 8 seconds (90s-120s rest)
A2. Hang Cleans: 1x5x135, 5x4x145 (I was feeling weak on these) (90-120s rest)

B1. (Iso) Back Squat: 8s (near lockout)
B2: Jump Squats: 6x8x45 (bar weight, should increase this by 15lb next week since it felt light)

C1: (Iso) Military Press: 8s (near lockout)
C2: Military Press: 2x5x125, 1x4x130, 2x3x135, 1x4x135 (I was pumped for the 4th rep, Bury Your Dead usually helps).

I felt spent today, I guess because of yesterday (I think I went just a little too heavy to begin with on the bench). Also, after yesterday’s workout I was drained and probably shouldn’t have eaten lunch so late (4pm happy hour along with 3-4 beers, not good for progress, but good for celebration). Unfortunately (for my progress) I will be leaving for LA in less than 48 hours, and will not be back until next Friday night.

I think I found a gym that I can use near our hotel (on UCLA’s campus), and I’m meeting a friend who actually introduced me to T-Nation, and will probably show me up on his �??snatch day�??. Tomorrow is another MSA day, although I will do it as late as I can (5 or 5:30pm), so I can recover from the last two consecutive workouts (I probably need more protein, although I did sleep almost 10 hours today, haha).

Week II, Day 3 (5/16/08)

A. Incline Bench: 1x2x165, 1x2x180, 1x2x185, 6x2x195
(I subtracted 20lbs from each lift since I am not sure how heavy the bar is. I’m guessing 25lb now that I read some thread, but some say it’s 15, although maybe I’ll check the label. The bar falls freely and fast so there is no negative resistance luckily.)

B. BB Back Squat: 1x2x185, 1x2x195, 4x2x205, 2x2x210.

C. One-armed DB Rows: 5x2x90, 4x2x95
(For some reason I found the perfect form after 5 sets, and my shoulders are worn, probably because I went a little too heavy during the explosive parts yesterday.)

D1. Zottman Curls: 3x6x35
D2. Calf Raises: 3x8x225
D3. BB Holds: 3x(10-20s)x315
D4. Standing side bends 3x8x45 (each side)
D5. Standing twists 3x(12-15)x45

I really feel like this program is pushing me harder than I would on my own, which is what a skinny guy like me needs (along with some food). I am still getting a feel for what is my max is, or 2RM, and so on, so that I may eventually pick a good starting weight during week three when I max out (and stick with it rather than adding weight each set).

I am unsure as to what I should do while away for a week starting tomorrow. I am told there is a gym that’s like $5, but will I have time or will my gf let me go, haha, while on vacation (or will it even have a squat rack, like the alternate gym I attended last saturday…and they call themselves a gym)? If I slack a little (I.e. just do abs and unilateral bodyweight exercises in my hotel in the morning, rather than travel to the unfamiliar gym), I hope I don’t lose much, if anything.

I may redo week 2 or something when I come back, although it may not be necessary since the 2nd phase has half CNS training and half hypertrophy work, so I’m not too worried. Eat, lift, sleep, right?

I am finally back from LA, and I can’t wait to get back to my routine. I almost dislike going on vacation for this reason. I ate shittier, didn’t make it as a guest to the UCLA university gym, but I did do some exercise (not much).

I think I may do a sort of catch up week this week (plus an overload day tomorrow at some gym near my parents’ house) and do Monday as MSA but with sets of 3 reps, then Wednesday do sets of 2 reps, but keep everything else the same.

This way I sort of fuse week 2 into week 3 (since I never finished it), and I get a solid 3 weeks in. I also might consider doing the split on Mondays with at least 6 hours between workouts.

Here is what little I did on Tuesday and Thursday (all w/bodyweight):

A1. Push-ups (every other wide, then close hand positions): 4x 12-30 (diminished as sets progressed)
A2. Reverse Crunches: 3x 15-20

B1. Bulgarian Split Squats: 3x12 (each leg)
B2. Crunches (Elevated Legs with a 1210? tempo) 3x12-15

C1. 1-leg straight-leg deadlift: 3x10-12 (each leg)
C2. Side crunches (damn, I’m forgetting the names of simple exercises, you know the one for obliques): 3x12-15 (each side)

D. 1-leg calf raises (on stairs for depth): 2x to failure (15-25?)

I did bring my Grow Whey, Metabolic Drive, Surge protein powders with me, only mixed in a weird ratio to limit luggage space.

I put it all together in my nalgene and separated it into 6 days worth (6 plastic cups on the desk where my girlfriend and housekeeping probably thought I was either dealing lots of strangely colored cocaine, or eating finely ground Golden Grahams). It’s good to be back in Jersey…

Week 2, Overload Day 5/24/08

Today I decided to finish week 2’s overload day since I missed it before vacation. It was a good day and tore me up!

A1. Partial Flat Bench: 1x5x185, 1x4x225, 2x3x225
A2. Eccentric Flat Bench (Lowered as slow as possible): 1x 8-10sec x 245, 3x 5-8sec x 255

B1. Partial Sumo Deadlift: 1x5x245, 2x5x295, 1x5x315 (I probably could’ve went heavier, oh well)
B2. Eccentric Conventional DL: 1x 5-10s x 315, 1x 5-8s x 325, 1x 5-8s x 335, 1x 5-8s x 345 (Form felt good)

C1. Partial Pullups: 1x5x50, 1x5x55, 2x4x55 (Had to go a little lighter than last time, better form now)
C2. Eccentric (Negative) Pullups: 1x8-10s x60, 3x5-8s x 65

D. Flat BB Bench: 1x 105 x 65 (started at 75, but after 25-30 reps I knew it was too much weight)
E. Leg Press: 1x 100 x 50 (don’t know weight of the press itself)
F. Inverted Incline Chest-Supported DB Rows: 1x100x15

Today 5/27/08 I restarted Week 2, although tomorrow I may split Day 2 and 3 since I did Day 1 today (Day 2). Anyway, today was MSA day and it was pretty intense.

A. Flat Bench (in Smith machine unfortunately, and I assume the bar is 25lb): 9x2x205
B. Snatch Grip DL: 1x2x225, 1x2x255, 3x2x275, 3x2x255 (had to go lighter because form was bad)
C. Bent-Over BB Rows: 1x2x165, 9x2x175

D. Planks & One-Arm side planks (don’t know correct name): 2x 60-120sec each
E. Stability Ball Rollouts: 2x 8-12

Week 2 (Redo), Day 2, 5/28/08

A1. Isometric Conventional DL (held at knees): 6 x 6-9sec x (max effort)
A2. Hang Cleans: 6 x 5 x 135

B1. Iso Back Squat (near lockout): 6 x 6-9sec x (max effort)
B2. BB Jump Squats: 3 x 8 x 65, 3 x 8 x 70

C1. Iso Military Press (near lockout): 6 x 6-9sec x (max effort)
C2. BB Military Press: 3 x 5 x 125, 3 x 4 x 125

Day 3, Week 2 (redo), 5/29/08

A. Incline BB Bench (again on ~25lb Smith bar): 1x2x165, 1x2x185, 4x2x190, 3x2x185 (had to drop down, shoulder was getting hurt since I am cramming this week into 4 straight days…)

B. BB Back Squat: 1x2x185, 1x2x200, 8x2x205 (at least parallel, none of this half-assed 1/4-squats crap, form was good)

C. 1-arm DB Rows: 1x2x90, 5x2x95, 3x2x100 (a little heavy near the end, probably should’ve kept 95s)

“Beach Work”
D4. 1-leg seated toe-raises: 3x10x35 (from Building Fat Guy Calves)
D5. Lunge position calf-raises: 2x10x80 (felt weird and light, so I gave up)

[quote]osterm38 wrote:
Day 3, Week 2 (redo), 5/29/08

A. Incline BB Bench (again on ~25lb Smith bar): 1x2x165, 1x2x185, 4x2x190, 3x2x185 (had to drop down, shoulder was getting hurt since I am cramming this week into 4 straight days…)

B. BB Back Squat: 1x2x185, 1x2x200, 8x2x205 (at least parallel, none of this half-assed 1/4-squats crap, form was good)

C. 1-arm DB Rows: 1x2x90, 5x2x95, 3x2x100 (a little heavy near the end, probably should’ve kept 95s)

“Beach Work”
D4. 1-leg seated toe-raises: 3x10x35 (from Building Fat Guy Calves)
D5. Lunge position calf-raises: 2x10x80 (felt weird and light, so I gave up)[/quote]

becareful not to overwork to much I did now Im paying for it. I cant even put pressure on my arm without my shoulder hurting like hell. So be careful not to injure yourself.

and Id take a day off because you really want to have a day off before and after overloads.

Yeah, today I’m taking the day off, mostly because Overload day is too intense to do after MSA day. Although my gym is closed Sat/Sun, so I may have to find a gym for a day this weekend, or take 3 days off and come back strong Monday, which I’d hate to do.

Your looking good so far. The overload day sure is rough. The partial pullups and eccentric pullups really made my lats sore.

Luckily last week one of my friends was at the gym so he was able to help push down the bar a little when i did my eccentric bench press. It got so tough by the fourth set but it felt good too.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Your looking good so far. The overload day sure is rough. The partial pullups and eccentric pullups really made my lats sore.

Luckily last week one of my friends was at the gym so he was able to help push down the bar a little when i did my eccentric bench press. It got so tough by the fourth set but it felt good too. [/quote]

Nice. I haven’t found anyone to workout seriously at the gym with me, so I have to do just one super heavy eccentric bench and lower it as slow as possible (my tris were sore the last time!). I think my back is a little stronger than the rest of my body (I guess since everyone likes to do chest and bis all day long so I did more back work), so I think my biceps gave out first on the ecc. pullups.

Week 2: Overload day (6/2/08)

Today felt real good, except when I got home I realized I forgot to do the 3 different exercises of 100-200 reps each!! Idiot, should’ve read over the whole day’s log first…

A1. Partial Bench: 1x5x215, 3x5x225 (felt easier, more reps than last time)
A2. Eccentric Bench: 1x 5-8sec x235, 3x 5-8s x265

B1. Partial Sumo DL: 1x5x275, 2x5x315, 1x5x335 (needed wraps on the last one, no grip in that hand placement!)
B2. Eccentric Conv. DL: 1x 5-8s x 315, 335, 355, 365 (wraps on last two, first two went too fast, should have gotten the wraps for all)

C1. Partial Pull-ups: 1x5x50, 1x4x60, 2x4x55 (had to drop 5lb, forgot C2 wears me out too)
C2. Eccentric Pull-ups: 1x 8-10s x60, 3x 5-10s x70 (kind of easy at first, killer near end)

D. Planks (regular and sides): 2x 60-120s
E. Stability Ball Roll-outs: 2 x 12

Week 3: MSA day (6/4/08)

Today I felt strong, although b.o.-rows feel weird to max out on. Not sure if I should be able to do more, or thrust more, whatever. I also am making adjustments to my diet, such as trying CT’s carb cycling idea. I calculated my BRM to be about 1900kcal per 34hr period. So I should be eating roughly 2700kcal or so to just maintain my weight of 170-175lb. Basically this guideline suggests that I should be eating at least 3300kcal to be gaining any lean body mass. So I will recalculate everything tonight or tomorrow and figure out exactly what I need to do (i.e. how much more and what I should be eating).

A. Bench (damn smith machine w/ 25lb BB):
1x1x205
1x1x220
7x1x230 (1RM PR!, maybe not though cuz of smith)

B. Snatch grip DL:
1x1x265
1x1x275
1x1x285
3x1x295 (PR, form was bad I think last one, had to lower the weight)
3x1x275 (still think form was meh, my back is stronger than quads, possibly rounded upper back, need to get my quads involved more on the first half of the lift)

C. Bent-over BB Rows:
1x1x175
9x1x185 PR

D-E. Abs (Planks and Ball Rollouts, same as before)

I’m reaching PR’s only because I don’t keep track enough, and now I as strong as I have ever been/felt. Going hard and heavy never felt so good…that’s what she said.

Week 3, Iso/Explosive day (6/5/08)

A1. Iso DL (knee level): 6x 6-9sec as hard as possible
A2. Hang Cleans: 6x5x135 as fast as possible

B1. Iso Back Squat (near lockout): 6x 6-9s
B2. Jump Squats: 6x8x70

C1. Iso Military Press (near lockout): 6x 6-9s
C2. Military Press: 6x5x125

Today I felt a little weaker than last week’s Isometrics day, but that could be because it was right after a max effort day where I maxed out (which I have never truly done before).

Damn by the time I start phase II you will be caught up. So how is the program working for you?

[quote]mavis13 wrote:
Damn by the time I start phase II you will be caught up. So how is the program working for you?[/quote]

I think the program along with my better eating habits are really helping gain some strength along with a little bit of mass. I’m up-ing my intake a little since I figured out I need about 3300-3500kcal to gain, and I’m barely getting 2800 as of my normal routine (hence I’m maintaining at best)!

The program works concentric, eccentric, and isometric movements, of which I (as well as everyone I see in the gym) have only worked concentric. It just makes sense to train muscles in various ways, as we are in phase I. I really like lifting heavy too, although it seems to make me sleep at night an extra hour. At first I didn’t think I could do the program with the heavy lifts and isometrics, simply because my gym does not have ideal equipment. But no one really has ideal equipment, and so I make-do with what I have (although the functional isometrics will be interesting in phase II).

How about yourself, Mavis, other than getting hurt? I realize that I have never done a full program without sacrificing a day or a week, or even getting injured or getting bored of it. My point is, I guess just finishing this program will be my goal since next semester it will be hard to be as dedicated as I am now.

Week 3, MSA II day (6/6/08)

Surprisingly, I felt great lifting today. Last week I definitely felt worn going 3 straight days, but today I hit some PR’s which felt good.

A. BB Incline Press (Smith w/25 bar):
2x1x205
4x1x215 PR (took about 4-5sec to lift the last one, so I had to lower the weight)
4x1x210

B. BB Back Squat:
1x1x205
1x1x215
7x1x225 PR (Probably could’ve went a little heavier!)

C. One-arm Rows:
1x1x95
9x1x100 (didn’t have a 105 DB, so just stuck with 100)

D. Beach work, similar to before.

[quote]osterm38 wrote:
mavis13 wrote:
Damn by the time I start phase II you will be caught up. So how is the program working for you?

I think the program along with my better eating habits are really helping gain some strength along with a little bit of mass. I’m up-ing my intake a little since I figured out I need about 3300-3500kcal to gain, and I’m barely getting 2800 as of my normal routine (hence I’m maintaining at best)!

The program works concentric, eccentric, and isometric movements, of which I (as well as everyone I see in the gym) have only worked concentric. It just makes sense to train muscles in various ways, as we are in phase I. I really like lifting heavy too, although it seems to make me sleep at night an extra hour. At first I didn’t think I could do the program with the heavy lifts and isometrics, simply because my gym does not have ideal equipment. But no one really has ideal equipment, and so I make-do with what I have (although the functional isometrics will be interesting in phase II).

How about yourself, Mavis, other than getting hurt? I realize that I have never done a full program without sacrificing a day or a week, or even getting injured or getting bored of it. My point is, I guess just finishing this program will be my goal since next semester it will be hard to be as dedicated as I am now.[/quote]

Well thats good it seems to be working for you. Nutrition and trying diffrent workouts is great to making a change in your strength and figure.

Yeah almost everyone in the gym thinks Im crazy but I seem to be making a diffrence. I too have made alot of personal records esp. on incline press. Im sure once you make it to the end of the program Im sure youll see a huge diffrence. Besides getting a little to eager to hit 305lbs for bench and hurting myself its working great. I dont think Ive been this stoked for a program.