Osteochondritis

i have osteochondritis, (cartillage dies and flakes off, getting stuck in the joint), in my knee.

ive been advised to give up squatting and other lower body exercises. the physio said that the best i will ever be able to achive is a 30 degree squat.

has anyone else had this condition? how did you get around it, did you have to quit lifting?

[quote]dannylad wrote:
i have osteochondritis, (cartillage dies and flakes off, getting stuck in the joint), in my knee.

ive been advised to give up squatting and other lower body exercises. the physio said that the best i will ever be able to achive is a 30 degree squat.

has anyone else had this condition? how did you get around it, did you have to quit lifting?[/quote]

I’ve had and and it’s a bitch!

I had to stop all sports except golf and swimming for 2 years. But I’m back to full time lifting and all now! (oh I was also able to go back to wrestling and crew)

The best things you can do are:
1)Ride the stationary bike (it gets blood flowing to the knee which is what you need)
2)Get a good joint support, I like Andrew Lestmen(sp ?) Joint Effort
3) Lay off the lifting and keep getting the X-rays so you can see how the cartillage and bone are doing)

If you keep up the sports and lifting (Like I did) eventually the two knee bones will start smacking together (very painful). As a result of that the bone itself will start to lose blood flow and begin to die (as mine did). So I would def. suggest taking time off until the doc said its healed.
Sorry you have it, but you will be able to squat A2G again!

the knee surgeon said i should stop lifting all together, but the physio was more optomistic. its also my job, so i hope it heals; im 18, so he said it could settle down in my mid 20s.

i had an artheroscopy 4 weeks ago and it is still too painfull to even ride the stationary bike.

thanks for the advice

You a trainer?

The most likely reason for it happening is a growth spurt that you recently had or are having. Did they mention if your growth plates are still open? If they are then you have a great chance of it healing 100% and much faster. If not my Dad was able to over come it at 50. Be prepared for a bunch of x-rays and MRI’s. I can’t even count how many x-rays I had over the 2 yr period and I had 2 MRI’s.

I’ve had it 3 times in my elbows (twice in left, once in right) along with some bone spurs. I had arthroscopic surgery each time and they have not given me problems since. The recovery is fairly quick too…within about 2 months I was working out (gymnastics) again.

Gatti

[quote]cjgatti wrote:
I’ve had it 3 times in my elbows (twice in left, once in right) along with some bone spurs. I had arthroscopic surgery each time and they have not given me problems since. The recovery is fairly quick too…within about 2 months I was working out (gymnastics) again.

Gatti[/quote]

surgeon said i am at serious risk of more bits coming off untill im into mid to late 20s, and made out that it is pretty serious stuff.

at the moment i have a big hole in my knee. two bits of cartillage were removed, one of them was an inch in width. he advised that i give up my job as an instructor, and to never lift heavy loads with my lower body. ie deads and squats.