Osgood Schlatter Syndrome

Joe I know you ae not a doctor, but i’m sure you can help.

I have this damn Osgood and it is really painfull.

It wuold be awsome if you could tell me what exercices to do and what to avoid with this kind of injury. should i stop playing basketball?

bump

mtodag,

How old are you? The reason I ask is that O-S is usually only an issue during the adolescent growth spurt that occurs in the early teens in males (especially athletes).

Treatment is pretty much just symptomatic; you just have to wait out the growth spurt. However, plenty of stretching for the quads and hamstrings can be of help, as can extra shock absorbent padding (insoles) for the sneakers. If you’re involved in activities that involve direct blows to the knee area, you’ll definitely want to get some kneepads to protect the tibial tubercles.

Good luck!

EC

right about growth spurts and what not. got diagnosed OS between 12 and 13 y/o.

darn no edit button…forgot to add that it might be hard to avoid it. I heard from another thread that hamstring deficiency might be a factor. also a preventive measure may be not to train or work your legs intensely. of course that means not working legs at all now that i think about it. I am basing this on my own painful experience. basically that’s all OS was to me, PAIN and little protruding cartilage jutting out under my skin under my knees. I wasn’t doing any weight work at the time. I was 7th grade and my only activities were playing league soccer and football. Lots of sprinting and movements similar to cone agility drills but at full intensity. most knees don’t hurt when you tap it. Well with OS a tap feels like a steel-toe kick.

I am 17 years old and I don?t think that I have a big growth spurt at this age!?!??!??!

You know… often the cure for these kind of chronic injuries is very simple. I had a similar shin problem for almost a year. You know what it was from? Too much shin to shin contact in fighting. Stop aggravating it for a month or two and see what happens.

I had it at age 20. You’ll want to make sure you’re constantly stretching for as long as you’re still training. It went away after two months of no squats and lots of stretching. I still have the bump but it’s smaller and pain free. Sinding larsen johansson’s disease is related and causes pain around the bottom of the patella. Keep that in mind. Of course you’ll want to make sure you’re getting enough of the nutrients responsible for bone and connective tissue growth
Good luck

Damn I get crazy!
I want to train!
I train upper, but my true love lies in lower body training.

Sinding larsen johansson’s disease is likely what you have. I was diagnosed with Osgood Schlatters when I was about 15 - I had to stop all activity for a year or they were going to put me in casts - it was extreamly painful. I have never grown out of it but it has become less painful (I can actually touch it) I’ve gone to several doctors and lastly I went to a doctor who treats the Canadian Olympic team. He told me I have Sinding Larsen’s disease and I saw a physiotherapist for a while. It’s just a matter of icing it after squats and bringing up lagging muscles - stretching my extreamly tight hamstrings and doing eccentric work for the pateller. I still have a huge lump where my pateller inserts and it causes quite a bit of pain at times still but ice does alot. I would consult a sports thereapist.

so, you guys think, I definetly should continue doing squats?