ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Catherine Zeta-Jones
CHICAGO

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
SPIRITED AWAY
Hayao Miyazaki

ART DIRECTION
CHICAGO
John Myhre (Art Direction); Gordon Sim (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
ROAD TO PERDITION
Conrad L. Hall

COSTUME DESIGN
CHICAGO
Colleen Atwood

DIRECTING
THE PIANIST
Roman Polanski

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE
Michael Moore and Michael Donovan

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
TWIN TOWERS
Bill Guttentag and Robert David Port

FILM EDITING
CHICAGO
Martin Walsh

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
NOWHERE IN AFRICA
Germany
Directed by Caroline Link

MAKEUP
FRIDA
John Jackson and Beatrice De Alba

MUSIC (SCORE)
FRIDA
Elliot Goldenthal

MUSIC (SONG)
8 MILE
‘Lose Yourself’
Music by Eminem, Jeff Bass and Luis Resto; Lyric by Eminem

BEST PICTURE
CHICAGO
Martin Richards

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
THE CHUBBCHUBBS!
Eric Armstrong

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
THIS CHARMING MAN (DER ER EN YNDIG MAND)
Martin Strange-Hansen and Mie Andreasen

SOUND
CHICAGO
Michael Minkler, Dominick Tavella and David Lee

SOUND EDITING
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
Ethan Van der Ryn and Michael Hopkins

VISUAL EFFECTS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS
Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook and Alex Funke

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
THE PIANIST
Screenplay by Ronald Harwood

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
TALK TO HER
Written by Pedro Almod?var

HONORARY AWARD
HONORARY AWARD
Peter O’Toole

What did everyone think about the Oscars??? I didn’t think Chicago deserve a lot of the awards… Chicago was an complete copy of the musical number… No oringanality… Good movie but didnot deserve a lot of the awards… I thought some should have gone to Lord of the Rings or Gangs of New York… Should have beeen more evenly split down the road… I was also shock that Daniel Day Lewis did not win best actor… I guess I got to go see the Pianist…

Micheal Moore wrote a film on vilonence to make money and made I thought an ass of himself protesting Bush… He did get some booes… I was glad to hear that…

“Chicago” was NOT a complete copy of the stage version. For one, Condon reworked the script so that there is a slightly different version of the ending. Also, the new script would better fit the screen. AND, Bebe Nuwirth was sensational as Roxy on the stage; the role that Catherine Zeta-Jones just won an Oscar as Supporting Actress.
Another point is that Gere and Zellweger are not trained singers/dancers and that Zeta-Jones has a small background as a stage performer in musicals. THIS is where Editing plays a huge role in such a film. “Chicago” deserves the win as Best Picture. It is right up there with “Cabaret”. For once we have a Best Picture winner worthy of the award.
As for Adrian Brody winning Best Actor. My gawd. Total surprise. Thought Daniel Day Lewis had it. But, what a class act Mr. Brody proved to be. A total T-Moment by kissing Halle Berry. Great acceptance speech. And he’s also the youngest actor to ever win this award.
I yelled “What the F’ck” when Roman Polansky’s name was announced as Best Director. That’s all I’m going to say to that…
GREAT KUDOS to Chris Cooper as Best Supporting Actor. Fabulous! I loved him in “Lone Star” (GREAT movie) - great actor who finally gets what he deserves!
Best Animated Feature: WOO Freakin’ HOO! Spirited Away!!!
Best Documentary: My god. The Academy had balls as Bowling for Columbine wins! And Michael Moore accepts the award in a tux! And Moore did not “make a movie about violence to make money” (btw: you had misspellings here). He made a documentary on issues to address and create a dialogue. His movies don’t make a huge amount of money. Never have.
The Special Oscar to Peter O’Toole. Class Act. The MAN. The only actor who could EVER be Lawrence of Arabia. Nominated 7-times. So many great films. Lion in Winter, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, The Last Emperor, My Favorite Year (one of my faves), The Ruling Class, Caligula - and there’s more. Unbelievable. I soaked in every word of his speech. Cuz, he’s just soooooo cool.
Nicole Kidman also oooozes class. I haven’t seen “The Hours”, yet I was rooting for her to win. Glad she did.
Ah, Catherine Zeta-Jones win for Chicago in Best Supporting? I’d rather Queen Latifah. Oh well.
But the strangest thing of all now would be that we can now say: “Oscar Winner, Eminem”.

since when did actors, actresses, directors, writers, etc… become political experts? the vast majority of these paople have no education and have never worked a real job in their lives. a local talk show host went down a list of famous actors and actresses that never even finished high school. now im not saying that you have to have a b.a. to be intelligent, but geez a high school diploma would be nice. if these stars are so friggen concerned about theses issues why dont they use some of the rediculous amounts of money they have to help people that really need it? it is totally unethical to use your power as a star to influence citizens (mainly childrens) thoughts on politics or anyhting else for that matter. thats why i stand by my reasoning that stars, athletes, etc… should not be role models. they have too much influence on childrens thoughts. our role models should be out parents, our coaches, the soldiers, everyday working class muther fuckers like you and me. sorry to hijack this thread.

Patricia: your correct that Michael Moore doesn’t make money on those movies They are documentary… But he makes a lotmore money then you or I… And that Chicago was not a complete copy of the original muusical… But it was close to it…

All I know is, Daniel Day got screwed!

Listen. If you can’t stand actors, celebrities or what have you talkin’ politics then don’t go see their movies, or watch their TV shows. Or pay any attention to them.

Not only should celebrities NOT be role models, neither should politicians. They also use their positions of power to influence the general public. But since most of these politicians have a college degree, I guess that’s okay.

And you know, while I did graduate from high school, I don’t have a college degree. But yet, I can speak the English language clearer and more concise than Dubya. I know that “potato” does not have a “e” at the end, unlike Dan Quayle. And I understand the current politics behind this “War on Terrorism”. Most importantly, I understand that there are three other threads in the Off Topics devoted to the “discussion” of the war and that you could have easily posted your opinion at any of those other threads.

I’m tired of these rantings on actors/H-town and politics. I’m tired of the inane argument that you don’t have a opinion worth anyone’s time unless you have a degree. If that’s the case, than many of you posting on those threads shouldn’t be - since many of you are STILL in college. I’m tired of pointing fingers at a few “demonstrators” that ruined if for the great many others that indeed should have had a voice. I’m tired of the arts being trampled upon and left behind in a dust by the few who don’t entirely understand the importance of the art at times like this.

A great painting or a great movie can inspire, uplift; good art, in any form is inspiring. Speaking of art, most people don’t realize that the Middle East is more than oil wells and sand. It has a rich history in terms of importance in art culture.

There. I’m done. Now, this thread is about “ENTERTAINMENT”. The ARTS. NOT politics. As I had pointed out, there’s plenty of threads for you, if you prefer a more politically bent discussion.

patricia, im sorry if i struck a nerve with you and i agree this isnt a political thread but i thought the issue of the oscars last night warranted discussion. first off, i never said you have to have a degree to have an opinion. secondly i didnt say that politicians should be our role models. i clearly stated that everyday people such as you and i that bust our asses 40-50 hours per week at work, balance our family life, training, other obligations etc… should be the role models. the fact is that children are highly influenced by stars and athletes because of their money, fame and talents regardless of what they may or may not have upstairs. children model their lives, their style, their clothing, etc… after these people. the awards show is not a platform to voice political views. if he is opposed to war, he can call a press conference and state his beliefs, he can write letters to “dubya,” he can form a protest. the fact is, regardless of education none of these people have any real world experience and shouldnt consider themselves experts in a field they know nothing about. thats kinda like roseanne barr giving you training advice. thirdly, i do not see the importance of the arts during a time like this. i agree that watching a good movie or reading a good book can be a welcomed change of pace during stressful times. but important, i disagree. there are far more important issues at hand than an awards show for a bunch of overpaid actors and actresses. instead of the awards ceremony why didnt these famous folk, hold a fund raiser for the families of the dead soldiers or innocent civilians in iraq, such as we did during the 911 tragedy? now im not telling someone what to do with their money but i think their power and influence can be used in much more positive ways, than making a fool out of yourself at an awards ceremony.

So what’s your problem with Polanski getting the directing Oscar, Patricia?

Do you feel that the stat rape charge hanging over his head should preclude him from having his achievements acknowledged? [irrespective of how you feel about his actions]

Interesting history with that case: Both defense and prosecution attorneys came to a legal agreement [which the victim was happy with] and the judge got a stick up his arse and ignored said agreement and Polanski was forced to do a runner.

Seeing those fuckers clap for a child rapist sickened me.

Ah, then I guess all should be well with Polanski. The fact that he, at what, 43-years of age, loaded up a 13-year old with Quaaludes and champagne and then had sex with her, shouldn’t be an issue, right?

Or the fact that the “victim”, who is now in her thirties, even says it was not consensual.

But the real hypocrisy is that many of the same people applauding Polansky’s win were the same people who refused to applaud Elia Kazan’s special Oscar at last year’s ceremony. Granted, Kazan’s actions caused many their careers. Apparently, as long as a rapist doesn’t end your career, you can applaud him.

P-DOG: You, “do not see the importance of the arts during a time like this”?

Really. That’s too bad.

Patricia, I agree with you about Kazan, and it raises the same issue. Do we judge contemporary achievements with the knowledge of the past?

There should be no argument that what Polanski did was criminal [or at least i’d hope not]. Similarly, Kazan’s actions were also morally dubious [although of a different order of magnitude]. But in both cases, their crimes and their achievements are in different areas - is it possible to judge these things independently?

Doogie. If a convicted serial killer on death row happened to write the greatest novel ever would you acknowledge it or would you ignore the achievement as the person was a serial killer?

-Patricia-

(Sorry to hijack this thread)

"Listen. If you can't stand actors, celebrities or what have you talkin' politics then don't go see their movies, or watch their TV shows. Or pay any attention to them."

Oh, I've tried to do that. What makes it difficult is that everytime Musty Sheen or Susan Suranwrap says anything regarding politics the media eat it up. It's one of those "what did they say this time" deals.

"Not only should celebrities NOT be role models, neither should politicians."

Agreed, no one said they should be.

"They also use their positions of power to influence the general public. But since most of these politicians have a college degree, I guess that's okay."

Again, no one said it was okay. A college degree doesn't keep some one from being a son of a bitch. (i.e Mr. Clinton)

"And you know, while I did graduate from high school, I don't have a college degree. But yet, I can speak the English language clearer and more concise than Dubya."

So, what does that mean. "Dubya" as you call him is probably more intelligent and educated than the *vast* majority of the people on this board, including you and me. George W. may not be glib like past presidents, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart. Having a southern or "hick" accent doesn't make you less intelligent either.

"I understand that there are three other threads in the Off Topics devoted to the "discussion" of the war and that you could have easily posted your opinion at any of those other threads."

This discussion was about the Oscars and Michael Moore's rotund ass won an Oscar. He then proceeds to make a fool of himself. No reason why that can't be addressed in this thread.

"I'm tired of these rantings on actors/H-town and politics."

The Hollywood Idiots make it very easy for us, well maybe not you Patricia, to poke fun at them. When they spout their ignorant mouths off, people are going to give them hell, and rightfully so.

"I'm tired of the inane argument that you don't have a opinion worth anyone's time unless you have a degree."

Again, your seeing things that aren't there. No one said that.

"I'm tired of pointing fingers at a few "demonstrators" that ruined if for the great many others that indeed should have had a voice."

Too bad it isn't a "few" demonstrators. Many more than that are causing problems.

"I'm tired of the arts being trampled upon and left behind in a dust by the few who don't entirely understand the importance of the art at times like this."

Your arts aren't being trampled on. Perhaps the "art" coming out of Hollywood is being kicked around a bit because most of those "artists" are morons. Sorry.

It's not that art isn't important, but it is the last thing on my mind while our boys and girls are fighting for a much greater cause than art.

"There. I'm done. Now, this thread is about "ENTERTAINMENT". The ARTS. NOT politics. As I had pointed out, there's plenty of threads for you, if you prefer a more politically bent discussion."

I've stated why politics were introduced on this thread. Patricia, I hijacked this thread because I felt you were a little "off" on certain things. You, as well as some of the other T-mag veterans have not said anything about current events.

Dustin

Might as well put my 2 cents in. First off…I am disappointed with myself. I didnt watch the oscars, mainly because I have to get up so gosh darn early Monday mornings (3:30AM)…so I have to be in bed at 10…AND because Six Feet Under was on. Regardless, I felt Chicago deserved best picture, although Lord of the Rings was a close second. I was surprised that Lewis didnt win best actor, but I have been hearing raves about Brody’s performance, so now I HAVE to see The Pianist. And can someone please tell me what Moore said during his acceptence speech!!! I am dying to know. Anyways, this is a shitty time for movie releases right now to say the least. There havnt been many “good” movies released lately, but this is typically the slow time of the year (after Oscar time and right before summer). Although, I must say that I am starting to get REALLY REALLY excited about The Matrix coming out!!! Is anyone else??? I swear to god that movie is going to rock the house. Tony G

I wouldn’t ignore it, I would boycott the publisher making blood money off of it. I sure as hell wouldn’t buy a copy. Everyday there a chances to align yourself with good instead of evil. I can’t imagine how someone can justify buying a ticket to a Polanski movie. Even if THE PIANIST is the greatest movie ever made, I can’t understand how someone can say, “So he drugged and anally raped a little girl, I can’t bear not to see his movie.” That is choosing to support evil in my mind. There’s no way for me to rationalize that.

My thoughts on politics have been expressed ad naseum, so I won’t rehash. However, here’s a link to the Sports Guy’s Oscar Diary, which is hilarious and pretty much mirrored my take on the little amount I did watch (Boobs, Steve Martin, actresses going ugly, et al). Bill Simmons is dead on –

Check it out:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/030324.html

Doogie, with the greatest of respect, what you said horrifies me. Maybe I’m too detached, but I truly believe that brilliance is brilliance no matter where it comes from.

I think when you talk about good and evil you’re making an untenable and essentially unsupportable distinction. Yes, the person could be the epitome of depravity, but what they produce does not necessarily have to reflect that such an appellation is merely your own subjectivism.

Look at the Marquis de Sade, Gallileo, D H Lawrence for example. In their time, for various reasons, their personal lives transcended their work, but now it is merely historical curiosity.

I would far rather a film like The Pianist got the Oscar than an overrated, [although entertaining] film like Forest Gump.

I refuse to watch the Oscars. None of the good movies win anyway. They always let those stupid ass movies win. My favorite movie of all time was Rocky III. I wonder if it even got any consideration? I know Rocky did but that movie is not in my top five.

iscariot, can you explain to me why you would give a child rapist money, especially one who has not paid any debt to society or his victim? Again, even if THE PIANIST was the greatest movie ever made, it’s still just a damn movie. What do you gain from watching it (other than a couple hours entertainment)? There a millions of ways to get a couple of hours of entertainment, why pay a child rapist to entertain you? Do you feel that your life would be empty if you were never to watch the movie? I guess maybe it would be alright to watch it 10 years after Polanski has been rotting in hell, when he is no longer able to benefit from you seeing it. Maybe if he didn’t receive a fucking dime for making it. But why the hell would anyone chose 2 hours of entertainment over the dignity of 13 year old girl who was drugged and anally raped?

iscariot, can you explain to me why you would give a child rapist money, especially one who has not paid any debt to society or his victim? Again, even if THE PIANIST was the greatest movie ever made, it’s still just a damn movie. What do you gain from watching it (other than a couple hours entertainment)?

Right, Doogie, lets address this point by point.

[1] You have a strange concept of causation. Firstly, you are going to a movie not a rape. Secondly, the money you pay to go to a movie doesn’t all go to the director.

It’s also not like Polanksi’s sitting on the street with a sign stating “I am a child rapist, please donate.”

[2] Paying a debt to society. That he committed a crime and didn’t do the time
is a moot point. But then again, Clinton lied and Bush is guilty of insider trading - innocence is hardly a pre-requistite for actions that transcend it at a latter time.

[3] It’s only a movie and it’s only entertainment:

So you’ve never been moved by a movie, you’ve never been made to think, to feel to reassess your ideals because of something you’ve seen? A movie is no different than a book, or a work of art, a piece of music etc - if it has the potential to move or inspire.

If you only go for entertainment you’re going to the wrong movies. Not of course that there’s anything wrong with entertainment.

Iscariot

1. “You have a strange concept of causation. Firstly, you are going to a movie not a rape. Secondly, the money you pay to go to a movie doesn’t all go to the director.”

Saying all of the money doesn’t go to Polanski does not justify giving him ANY money.

1. “Paying a debt to society. That he committed a crime and didn’t do the time is a moot point. But then again, Clinton lied and Bush is guilty of insider trading - innocence is hardly a pre-requistite for actions that transcend it at a latter time.”

I don’t even really understand what your point is here. He is a man who drugged and anally raped a 13 year old girl. Are you suggesting that making a good movie makes up for that?

1. “So you’ve never been moved by a movie, you’ve never been made to think, to feel to reassess your ideals because of something you’ve seen? A movie is no different than a book, or a work of art, a piece of music etc - if it has the potential to move or inspire.”

No, I’ve never seen a movie that was so good I reassessed my idealistic views that men who drug and anally rape 13 year old girls should be forgiven if they have talent. What about athletes? They have talent. They entertain, inspire, and move people. Would you buy Lakers’ tickets if Shaq did what Polanski did?

We’ll never convince each other, so let me end by saying that I think the world is a worse place because people like you (and I may actually like you if we ever met) are willing to overlook evil for your own benefit.