Oscar Grant Murdered by Police Officer

[quote]Bootsie wrote:
I think your physics teacher was full of it. [/quote]

Quite possibly.

Situation looks pretty grim for the police officer.

The only problem I have is the end statement by the victims attorney. He stated that the officer did not need his weapon out. How can this guy tell from a grainy cell phone video with limited audio what is warranted in that circumstance?

As for the poster stating about a safety, if it’s a glock there is no safety. Unfortunately accidents happen, that doesn’t excuse this incident.

Wrongful death lawsuit is a slam dunk. Negligent homicide is a huge possibility.

I’m an LEO myself, if I was this guy I would expect to be charged with negligent or reckless homicide.

Does anyone know what incident led to the police being there and having 4 or 5 people ready to be arrested?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
streamline wrote:
If this officer gets off, I think California will burn. Let us not forget Rodney King. Some injustices are simply not tolerated by the public.

Beating on a belligerent crackhead and shooting and killing a seamingly innocent man in cold blood are two very different things.[/quote]

Uh, yeah. Last I heard, Rodney King had run afoul of the law again. I doubt very seriously that “California will burn” anytime soon, unless Santa Ana winds start up again.

[quote]snipeout wrote:

The only problem I have is the end statement by the victims attorney. He stated that the officer did not need his weapon out. How can this guy tell from a grainy cell phone video with limited audio what is warranted in that circumstance?

As for the poster stating about a safety, if it’s a glock there is no safety. Unfortunately accidents happen, that doesn’t excuse this incident.

Wrongful death lawsuit is a slam dunk. Negligent homicide is a huge possibility.

I’m an LEO myself, if I was this guy I would expect to be charged with negligent or reckless homicide.

Does anyone know what incident led to the police being there and having 4 or 5 people ready to be arrested?[/quote]

They were called to remove several males from the train for fighting.

[quote]streamline wrote:
snipeout wrote:

Does anyone know what incident led to the police being there and having 4 or 5 people ready to be arrested?

They were called to remove several males from the train for fighting. [/quote]

Don’t want to sound like I am condoning the officers actions(not even possible in this case), but I kind of figured some larger incident took place

[quote]grappler_123 wrote:
the cop should be arrested. until he proves his innocence (or provides reasonable doubt to guilt) he should be incarcerated. [/quote]

Double standard? I believe it’s the other way around, even for cops.

Having said that, this cop fucked up big time. There is no excuse to be cuffing a compliant guy face down, with your gun at his back, and your finger on the trigger.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
As for the poster stating about a safety, if it’s a glock there is no safety.
[/quote]
I don’t know what your talking about.

Glock hand guns actually have 3 safetys. One on the firing pin, one on the trigger itself, and one under the barrel (like a switch).

There’s no excuse about firing a Glock by accident, if your fired it, it means you squeezed the trigger!

LR

Some people are saying that he may have thought it was the taser. He freaked out after the shot went off, so I guess he wasn’t expecting it.

[quote]London Runner wrote:
snipeout wrote:
As for the poster stating about a safety, if it’s a glock there is no safety.

I don’t know what your talking about.

Glock hand guns actually have 3 safetys. One on the firing pin, one on the trigger itself, and one under the barrel (like a switch).

There’s no excuse about firing a Glock by accident, if your fired it, it means you squeezed the trigger!

LR[/quote]

Surely you must be joking?!?! A Glock absolutely does not have a manual safety.

Here’s a link for you since you obviously don’t own a Glock nor have you ever owned one. Glock Parts, Pistols & Accessories | Glockmeister

Not even the trigger safety on a Glock can prevent an accidental trigger pull, it just protects against off center lateral pressure.

Are you even allowed to own a hand gun in England?

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
grappler_123 wrote:
the cop should be arrested. until he proves his innocence (or provides reasonable doubt to guilt) he should be incarcerated.

Double standard? I believe it’s the other way around, even for cops.

Having said that, this cop fucked up big time. There is no excuse to be cuffing a compliant guy face down, with your gun at his back, and your finger on the trigger.

[/quote]

Not to condone the cops action because he was WRONG, but a compliant person does not resist like this guy did. As for drawing your weapon while someone is being cuffed, absolutely you draw your weapon to provide cover for the cuffing officer. Especially in a crowded area where you don’t know how quickly mob mentality may kick in.

That said, this cop is about as dumb and fucked as they come. At the very least negligent homicide, if they can prove some intent or racial bias welcome to hate crime murder and civil rights violation. I would not want to be this guy, his attorney, or his PBA president. Police officer or not, if you unholster that weapon and even point it at someone for the wrong reason it is considered aggravated assault, at least in NJ it is, that alone will get you 8-15 years with a minimum 85% time served.

[quote]snipeout wrote:

Here’s a link for you since you obviously don’t own a Glock nor have you ever owned one. Glock Parts, Pistols & Accessories | Glockmeister

Not even the trigger safety on a Glock can prevent an accidental trigger pull, it just protects against off center lateral pressure.

Are you even allowed to own a hand gun in England?[/quote]

Just because you’ve never left you own country doesn’t mean that I haven’t. And yes you can own a firearm in England with a firearms licence.

I’ve used 3 glocks (23c, 17L and a ceramic one), two of those in Vegas while on holiday there, and one at a gun club in Monda, Andalucia, Spain.

And in the link you provided, you’ve just shown the exact 3 safetys that I mentioned. Maybe you need to look at your own link.

LR

Maybe you should upgrade your outdated weapon!

LR

And for those claiming TASER? You’d notice the weight difference instantly.

LR

snipeout wrote:

Are you even allowed to own a hand gun in England?

Just because you’ve never left you own country doesn’t mean that I haven’t. And yes you can own a firearm in England with a firearms licence.

I’ve used 3 glocks (23c, 17L and a ceramic one), two of those in Vegas while on holiday there, and one at a gun club in Monda, Andalucia, Spain.

And in the link you provided, you’ve just shown the exact 3 safetys that I mentioned. Maybe you need to look at your own link.

LR[/quote]

Snipe is correct. The safties you refer to are more accurately known as blocks. A firing pin block, and trigger block to be specific. These are designed to prevent the handgun from discharging accidentaly w/o the trigger being pulled.

A handgun with a manual safety must be disengaged by the user before the trigger can be pulled. Glocks are normally described as not having a safety. The reference to the blocks you described is more of a technical reference.

Glock does not make a ceramic weapon. It is a myth spawned from the Movie Die Hard (the infamous Glock 7). All Glocks have been made from polymer, not ceramic. The statement that you shot one leads me to believe you made up the fact that you ever used a handgun.

I shoot and own a lot of Glocks (17,19,21,31,34)and trained many others how to shoot with them. I always refer to them as not having a manual safety and every other NRA affilated instructor I know does also.

http://www.glockfaq.com/models.htm

"Where can I get a porcelain or ceramic Glock, you know, the Glock 7?
There is no such thing as a porcelain or ceramic Glock. All Glocks are made from polymer and steel and always have been. This rumor got started (or maybe fueled) by a line from Bruce Willis in the movie ‘Die Hard 2: Die Harder’:

“That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It’s a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn’t show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month.”

This is, of course, complete hogwash. Don’t believe everything you see in the movies. "

And for those claiming TASER? You’d notice the weight difference instantly.

LR[/quote]

Not really. With adrenalin kicking the weight would not be noticed, particularly with the new taser models that are shaped like handguns. I don’t like that method or configuration at all for obvious reasons.

All that being said. Very bad mistake made by this officer with tragic consequences. The basic rules of firearm safety were not followed. (finger on the trigger before ready to fire, pointing a weapon at someone you do not intend to shoot).

[quote]hedo wrote:
Snipe is correct. The safties you refer to are more accurately known as blocks. A firing pin block, and trigger block to be specific. These are designed to prevent the handgun from discharging accidentaly w/o the trigger being pulled.

A handgun with a manual safety must be disengaged by the user before the trigger can be pulled. Glocks are normally described as not having a safety. The reference to the blocks you described is more of a technical reference.

Glock does not make a ceramic weapon. It is a myth spawned from the Movie Die Hard (the infamous Glock 7). All Glocks have been made from polymer, not ceramic. The statement that you shot one leads me to believe you made up the fact that you ever used a handgun.

I shoot and own a lot of Glocks (17,19,21,31,34)and trained many others how to shoot with them. I always refer to them as not having a manual safety and every other NRA affilated instructor I know does also.

http://www.glockfaq.com/models.htm

"Where can I get a porcelain or ceramic Glock, you know, the Glock 7?
There is no such thing as a porcelain or ceramic Glock. All Glocks are made from polymer and steel and always have been. This rumor got started (or maybe fueled) by a line from Bruce Willis in the movie ‘Die Hard 2: Die Harder’:

“That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It’s a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn’t show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it cost more than you make here in a month.”

This is, of course, complete hogwash. Don’t believe everything you see in the movies. "
[/quote]

Let me guess, your here to back up your buddy.

The Last glock i refered to actually a training Glock was at the firing range in Vegas which fires paintballs (the sliding mechanism was black and the bottom half was purple, and there were ones where the bottom half was orange, if you train people to use them, you must have seen them). The other two (23c, 17L) fired ammo.

I also fired a Magnum that day FYI!

Are you another one of those “only people in america have fired guns” people?

The afternoon at the firing range was organised by the hotel (MGM Grand), i’m sure if you contact them, you can find out what the name of the range is where they take people.

I don’t know if the quote from the film is correct, but Glocks are from Austria, not Germany, but I wouldn’t expect you to know the differnce.

:slight_smile:

LR

Here you go, mr “I’ve seen everything, and trained everyone on the planet”. You’ve obviously seem one of these.

When I find a pic of the purple one, i’ll post it.

LR

For starters, I don’t know who is right or wrong since I’m an XD guy and hate Glocks, but London Runner is obviously a dick.

Secondly, I’d reserve judgment until this whole thing plays out. That didn’t look like an execution to me; it looked like an ND.

When I open carry I carry a police model Beretta 96. It doesn’t have any safeties, just a decocker.

Either way, if it’s an ND he should get negligent homicide.

mike

Here you go, mr “I’ve seen everything, and trained everyone on the planet”. You’ve obviously seem one of these.

When I find a pic of the purple one, i’ll post it.

LR[/quote]

Are you calling the slide lock a manual safety?

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
Are you calling the slide lock a manual safety?

mike[/quote]

In Snipeouts FIRST post, he stated that the Glock had NO SAFETY.

He only mentioned MANUAL SAFETY in his second post where he quoted me.

I also posted a link to where a manual safety can be added to the glock for a small fee.

LR