Ortiz Vs. Shamrock *SPOILER*

Considering Shamrock was on his feet before Herb Dean was, I think the fight was stopped too soon. The question is: what to do in situations like that.

Perhaps something LIKE an 8 count, but not. Surely they can come up with something that works for everyone. The way it happened was BUSH.

I’m not saying that the outcome would have been any different but the hype coming into the PPV was not lived up to. Good security though.

And what was with the stunt Dana White was trying to pull with Vanderlei Silva and Chuck? Sure, might be a good fight, but it came off a little WWE.

At least there was some decent action in some of the under cards but the “submission of the night” came in a fight that wasn’t even in aired.

The only good news was that I paid $40 Canadian

But at least there was no Joe Rogan.

I don’t see how the ref stopping it after six completly defenseless blows to the face and head is too soon. Anti-climatic, maybe, but not too soon. It seems like everyone was expecting Ken’s face to be allowed to get beat to a pulp like the first fight and then be stopped. For christ’s sake his hands did not move to protect his face at all! Ken Shamrock is a punch drunk idiot who probably could have stayed concious for many more blows, but what the fuck is the purpose?

The Burkman vs. Neer fight? I would say that was pretty damn good.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:
TheJoker wrote:
So you are trying to say it was stopped way too damn soon?

Yeah sorry, I was drinking tonight, fight night!

:slight_smile: All the matches were horrid, and Frank Mir and Dan…can you say OUT OF SHAPE? Isn’t Christianson a TUF reject who lost all his fights?

Horrible.

Silva vs. Liddell was the only good highlight, amazing I am surprised they let Wanderlai wear his PrideFC shirt and didn’t force a Xyience shirt on him.[/quote]

Did you hear the crowd reaction when Dana White announced Wanderlai? I swear I could hear crickets in the background. They had no idea who the hell he was. I do think it was a bad move to announce a fight that would take place IF Liddel beats Babalu in his next fight. I bet Babalu is really happy that Dana White is already throwing him to the side as a loser. Sort of takes the steam out of that PPV.

[quote]TWalton wrote:
The question is: what to do in situations like that.

Perhaps something LIKE an 8 count,…

I’m not saying that the outcome would have been any different but the hype coming into the PPV was not lived up to. Good security though.

And what was with the stunt Dana White was trying to pull with Vanderlei Silva and Chuck? Sure, might be a good fight, but it came off a little WWE.

At least there was some decent action in some of the under cards but the “submission of the night” came in a fight that wasn’t even in aired.
[/quote]

Great points. I think the important thing here is to see how this PPV was very different from any other. Maybe a new direction the UFC is going? Whatever that direction is, for god’s sake, DO NOT go the way of WWE. UFC fronts MMA, meaning, it’s a sport…so it has to be regarded as one. When you have the president acting like a high-school jock and just throwing matches together to seemingly “appease” the crowd isn’t the best way to reinforce the SPORT part.

In addition, the fact that we had to watch some Advertisements and 5 or 6 build ups instead of THE REST OF THE FIGHTS THAT WERE ON THE CARD was crap. I felt like I ordered a $40 UFC Unleashed episode.

Fights:
Tito vs. Shamrock= bad call
Silva vs. Arlovski= Rocky IV without a climax
Mir vs. Christiansan= two pigs fighting over a milk-dud
Josh vs. Josh= at least someone’s fighting

I love UFC, but I see it starting to aim more towards entertainment (WWE) and less towards the sport (MMA)…I hope I’m wrong.

[quote]MaloVerde wrote:
I don’t see how the ref stopping it after six completly defenseless blows to the face and head is too soon. Anti-climatic, maybe, but not too soon. It seems like everyone was expecting Ken’s face to be allowed to get beat to a pulp like the first fight and then be stopped. For christ’s sake his hands did not move to protect his face at all! Ken Shamrock is a punch drunk idiot who probably could have stayed concious for many more blows, but what the fuck is the purpose?

The Burkman vs. Neer fight? I would say that was pretty damn good.

[/quote]

You make some very good points. While I was upset the fight ended so soon, I really didn’t see much happening besides Tito dropping 3-4 more elbows and Ken being knocked out/possibly hurt. The only thing that sucks about this, is that we have to see it again…

I have never been more disappointed after a fight card then I am right now. The Sylvia Arlovski fight fucking blew, and all-in-all the card just didn’t live up to expectations. And yes, the Burkman Neer fight was by far the best fight of the night.

And as far as everyone complaining of the Silva Liddell “stunt,” I truly think they need that sort of stuff to an extent. They are entertainers, fighting is entertaining, and they need to do things that entertain. So hopefully I have demonstrated my point by using that word enough.

And Silva will put Liddell in a hospital.

I don’t think I will ever pay to watch Tim Sylvia again.It looked like a school fight where both were afraid of getting hit.The UFC is going to start losing their pay per view audience if they don’t do something different.

[quote]doogie wrote:
But at least there was no Joe Rogan.[/quote]

I didn’t get this PPV but I’ve gotten most. From everyone’s reaction I’m glad as hell I didnt.

But what’s up with Rogan? He wasn’t announcing?

I’m glad I did not buy this piece of crap. I didn’t watch it, but I have watched the Arlovski-Sylvia fight today, and I must say it was THE WORST TITLE FIGHT I’VE EVER SEEN. Seriously, the fact that the two best heavyweights in the organization are in the ring together and you end up with the biggest piece of shit boxing match I’ve ever seen blows my mind. Syliva fucked up Arlovski’s head real bad with the last fight, he’s basically the next Vitor in training. Compare this to the Pride OWGP Round 2 last weekend, and it makes you a little sick to your stomach.

But who gives a damn, the only thing UFC 61 will be remembered for is the fact that Silva-Lidell might happen.

[quote]FFJeff wrote:

I’ll just stick to renting the DVD’s in the future, and being careful not to read internet forums before I get the DVD.

Jeff[/quote]

Seems like we’re all pissed about spending 40 bucks for this sleepfest. But the problem is that they release the DVD months later after the next pay per view. Fucking UFC rip fans off. Pride Pay Per Views are lot cheaper and show all fights. Damn UFC.

[quote]TWalton wrote:
Considering Shamrock was on his feet before Herb Dean was, I think the fight was stopped too soon. The question is: what to do in situations like that.

Perhaps something LIKE an 8 count, but not. Surely they can come up with something that works for everyone. The way it happened was BUSH.

The only good news was that I paid $40 Canadian[/quote]

I notice from past fights Dean will call fights too early. Also, Nobody even knew who Silva was. I think the Non hardcare MMA fans watch or even know what Pride is. Silva did fought in UFC before, but that was years ago. And fuck, submission of the night was bullshit. I’m gonna see 40 bucks on my damn cable bill. Damn it.

Worst. Fight. Ever.

Never have I wanted my money back so badly. If Shamrock was getting beat down so badly, why was he able to jump right up and argue the call? Half the elbows hit him in the chest, 2 or 3 actually made contact with his head.

I woulda been better off buying a WWE PPV with the amount of acting in that fight.

Ridiculous.

[quote]MaloVerde wrote:
EmperialChina wrote:
TheJoker wrote:
So you are trying to say it was stopped way too damn soon?

Yeah sorry, I was drinking tonight, fight night!

:slight_smile: All the matches were horrid, and Frank Mir and Dan…can you say OUT OF SHAPE? Isn’t Christianson a TUF reject who lost all his fights?

Horrible.

Silva vs. Liddell was the only good highlight, amazing I am surprised they let Wanderlai wear his PrideFC shirt and didn’t force a Xyience shirt on him.

Did you hear the crowd reaction when Dana White announced Wanderlai? I swear I could hear crickets in the background. They had no idea who the hell he was. I do think it was a bad move to announce a fight that would take place IF Liddel beats Babalu in his next fight. I bet Babalu is really happy that Dana White is already throwing him to the side as a loser. Sort of takes the steam out of that PPV.

[/quote]

I said the same exact thing. Dana White is a moron. He just deflated all hype for Babalu and Liddel. What does he do if Babalu wins convincingly? Have Babalu fight Wandi or keep a defeated Chuck in that fight?

Bad couple of weeks for the UFC. It all
started with Leben running his mouth about how the toughest fighters are in the UFC and then getting treated like a bitch by Anderson Silva. Also, the second round of the Pride open weight tournament was great and this UFC was a complete disaster. Sylvia and Arlovski was pathetic and Herb Dean’s stoppage of Tito/Ken was a joke, especially in light of how long McCarthy let Leben/Silva go on even when Leben was reaching blindly around the ring from the beating he was taking.

What a waste of money, time, and electricity to power my television. The kids in my neighboorhood have more entertaining fights than the Sylvia-Arlovski fight. The douche-bag announcer at the beginning said that “This is a night we have been waiting for perhaps all of our lives.”

I’m glad that wasn’t true, or I have seriously wasted 32 years.

[quote]BH6 wrote:
What a waste of money, time, and electricity to power my television. The kids in my neighboorhood have more entertaining fights than the Sylvia-Arlovski fight. The douche-bag announcer at the beginning said that “This is a night we have been waiting for perhaps all of our lives.”

I’m glad that wasn’t true, or I have seriously wasted 32 years.

[/quote]

It is now the night that we will be trying to forget for perhaps all our lives.

Well, I might as well chime in too…

This the first, and last, PPV I ever bought. I pretty much agree with what has already been said.

Yet I find myself a little torn. We’re all complaining that the fights were lackluster (Silvia/Arlovski), but at least it seems apparent that the fights aren’t “fixed” in any way. I mean, I guess I’d rather see a poor fight than an entertaining one that is scripted.

Nick

[quote]doogie wrote:
But at least there was no Joe Rogan.[/quote]

i second that.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
fucking WASTE of money, the first fight joe stevenson vs yves edawards was the best one. huge fucking disappointment, going to drink myself into a coma now. fuck that. [/quote]

I hear ya…

I was a bit surprised when Dean called that fight until I saw the replay. Shamrock’s hands were not even covering his face and his head was just bouncing…Herb had to call that fight, though I bet he wishes he had let Ortiz for for another 5 or 6 elbows. The one thing that works against him is that Shamrock recovered so fast and jumped up crying about it, but it was his own damn fault for not defending himself.

The Liddell-Silva matchup is exciting, but I do think they erred in anouncing it before the Babalu fight…can’t really have too much complaints about a dream matchup like this though.

I just moved so I had to watch this one at a bar since I don’t have cable yet, and it was frickin hilarious when they announced the fight and nobody in the bar had a clue who Silva was, they were all excited when Chucky came out though.

I think Arlovski genuinely thought he was ahead on the scorecards in that last round because he didn’t press at all…oh well, the HW division is weak, I don’t know who the hell they’re going to put in there with Sylvia next, Frank Mir? Monson is a beast, but very boring and probably unable to take Sylvia down. Vera is too unseasoned to put in there, but I’ll bet he’d be willing. I just don’t know what they plan on doing.

Instead of paying $40 for one event, you guys should look into live internet streams for PPV. I use one from streamtvnow.com. I pay $4.00 for a whole month of any UFC, boxing, WWE PPV event. The picture quality isn’t bad either (obviously not as good as on TV).

And yes, the card sucked. I turned off my computer after the 2nd round of the Heavyweight fight and watched an Oz rerun on TV instead.