Ortiz vs Griffin

[quote]nolecat wrote:
I missed the fights. Someone please tell me how in the HELL Arlovski lost to Silvia. I am absolutely stunned by this. Was Arlovski sloppy? Over confident? Surely he is a better fighter![/quote]

Surely he was overhyped and had a questionable chin. He got sloppy when he landed a big right on Tim and Silvia exposed him.

arlovski and sylvia are small fry when it comes to MMA, you think that they are the 2 top heavyweights in UFC, glass chinned arlovski and one dimensional sylvia, i reckon Coleman could own either and fedor would destroy them.

Zeb-

Fully agree with you man.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
nolecat wrote:
I missed the fights. Someone please tell me how in the HELL Arlovski lost to Silvia. I am absolutely stunned by this. Was Arlovski sloppy? Over confident? Surely he is a better fighter!

Surely he was overhyped and had a questionable chin. He got sloppy when he landed a big right on Tim and Silvia exposed him.[/quote]

Wow. Just watched the video. Arlovski did get sloppy when he put Silvia down. It looked as if he did not know how to finish off Silvia once on the ground and let him get back on his feet.

I agree with the comment about Pride fighters being better. It is hard to watch the UFC after watching Pride.

http://k-1fans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20889&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

after you register, you’ll see that’s the topic with the UFC 59 fights.

Found a picture of Forrest from the weigh-ins. His forearms seem decently impressive. I noticed that odd lump on his left forearm, a bit below the wrist. If I recall, that’s the forearm that was broken in a match a few years ago. Could it have not set right? In any case, those are some ham-hocks he’s swinging with.

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
Found a picture of Forrest from the weigh-ins. His forearms seem decently impressive. I noticed that odd lump on his left forearm, a bit below the wrist. If I recall, that’s the forearm that was broken in a match a few years ago. Could it have not set right? In any case, those are some ham-hocks he’s swinging with.[/quote]

Actuallly, while I can’t help but like the guy, I thought his actual size (including his arms) was small compared to Tito.

He seems fairly slender at 205.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Actuallly, while I can’t help but like the guy, I thought his actual size (including his arms) was small compared to Tito.

He seems fairly slender at 205. [/quote]
True about Griffin. He does seem borderline lanky (and as a Former Lanky Boy myself [or a FLB, a’la Shugart], I hate spreading the term). But, I can’t see him dropping down a class either. But…maybe. His strength and chin would be an asset.

Just for squirts and giggles, here’s Ortiz from the same weigh-in.

“you’re gonna respect me after this fight” -Griffin to Ortiz after the second round.

Here’s a post fight interview w/Griffin:

http://www.sherdogvideos.com/events/ufc59/ufc59_post_forrest.wmv

I’m sure Ortiz vs. Shamrock will be a great fight, but godammit I am sick of people retiring and then coming back. If you want to go out on a classy note, it helps if you don’t come back two months later. I never really liked Shamrock anyways, and I’m not saying he threw the fight against Franklin, but that fight just didn’t look right.

[quote]Ryu wrote:

Zeb - i did’nt hear any of the post fight interviews but Griffen staying away from the injured leg is a great thing for him to do. Many people probably think hes a moron for doing it but i certainly feel a greater measure of respect for him as a person and a fighter - always looking for the harder option lol.[/quote]

Oh come on. This isn’t fucking pattycake. If he didn’t want an injury targeted he shouldn’t have taken the fight. I’d be insulted if a fighter said something like that after a fight, I’d assume he was trying to make an excuse for losing. I’m not saying do anything to win, but if it isn’t against the rules, and isn’t exploiting a loophole, go for it.

I agreed with the decision, but not the scoring. I’m not sure which was worse, the judge who scored it 30-27 (meaning tito would’ve won the 2nd round - bs) or the judge who scored it 29-27, meaning either he scored the third round 9-9, which I dont even think ufc allows, or he scored the first round 10-8 which is also bs. I’ve seen way worse whuppin’s that didnt result in a 10-8 round. gimme a break

I also dont think I agree with all the accolades for forrest staying away from the knee. I’m not saying that he’s stupid or whatever for doing it, but neither would I slight a fighter in the least for going after an injury. Attacking an injury is analogous, although not equivalent, to attacking any other kind of weakness, eg poor takedown defense, poor standup, etc IMHO

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
I’m sure Ortiz vs. Shamrock will be a great fight, but godammit I am sick of people retiring and then coming back. If you want to go out on a classy note, it helps if you don’t come back two months later. I never really liked Shamrock anyways, and I’m not saying he threw the fight against Franklin, but that fight just didn’t look right. [/quote]

You really shouldn’t go there.

Shamrock has a history of making stupid mistakes and getting his head kicked in.

Where do I begin?

How about his first fight against Royce Gracie. The one where Royce tapped him out. Then immediately after Royce removed his hold Shamrock said he never tapped. Gracie shouted in his ear “you tapped man and everyone saw it…you wanna to do it again?”

At which point Shamrock said “No…I tapped.”

How many times have we seen Shamrock run out of gas?

Excuse? “I trained wrong for the fight.”

In fact, he trained so “wrong” one time at a PRIDE match his corner had to throw the towel in right in the middle of the fight as Shamrock was so obviously gassed…

Duh…train Ken train…

After the Tito beating Shamrock stated that he had a knee injury and was apprehensive…and he didn’t get a chance to cut weight properly. Sucking several pounds close to the fight thus sapping his strength.

Yea…oaky…okay…

Against Franklin, Shamrock later said that he had been studying a form of kick boxing and was trying a new technique.

Gee Ken how about trying that stuff in practice first…

You see it and say “something didn’t look right.” I see it and say…yea that sounds like Shamrock.

If it were anyone else I would say yea that looked odd. But I have followed Kens career from the beginning and quite frankly…

HE’S A NUT!

If you don’t think he’s a nut watch SPIKE TV and see what a horrible coach he is. No one is edititing to make him look bad…HE IS BAD!

Simple…

Agree Zeb. I’m not an afficianado but I do enjoy boxing and the UFC occasionally. Looking forward to another Calzhage fight and Ricky Hatton too. Re - UFC, I saw a classic presentation on Spike last week on Gracie. Wow, Royce was the master. He’s probably not what he was years ago but I can’t see Hughes coming close. I was just really impressed w/Gracie’s technique. Then again, am far from an expert.

[quote]Scipio wrote:
Agree Zeb. I’m not an afficianado but I do enjoy boxing and the UFC occasionally. Looking forward to another Calzhage fight and Ricky Hatton too. Re - UFC, I saw a classic presentation on Spike last week on Gracie. Wow, Royce was the master. He’s probably not what he was years ago but I can’t see Hughes coming close. I was just really impressed w/Gracie’s technique. Then again, am far from an expert.[/quote]

Yes, Royce was something back then.

But remember these things:

1-When he ruled no one understood submissions…NO ONE! Even the competitive wrestlers like Dan Sevron, while an outstanding wrestler did not know or even understand submissions. Now everyone who steps in the octagon understands them and has developed a strategy to either use them or defend from them.

2-If you look at Royce’s record since he has not fought in the UFC it’s pretty horrible. He has only won a couple of matches and lost the rest.

3-Matt Hughes is the current champion. While I know that this is only a exhibition match a champion has a certain edge. He is on top and will fight with much vigor to keep it that way.

Hughes is not only strong, but is a supberb wrestler who not only has submitted many top rated fighters but knows how to defend against submission.

Don’t look for Royce to win…Hopefullly he won’t get hurt.