T Nation

Original HSS 100 Question

I am about to begin the Original HSS 100 program from Christian Thibadeau. However I have a question that I am really confused about…

In that particular discussion thread, Thib responded to someon and said to perform the HSS on both the Biceps and Triceps for that particular workout session. So that means I do the whole HSS 100 for the bis and then start all over again for the tris and do the HSS 100? Isnt that like a crazy amount of volume or am I thinking too deep into this.

And if anyone has performed the original HSS 100 and want to share their workout, that would be really helpful! thank you.

[quote]Serd wrote:
I am about to begin the Original HSS 100 program from Christian Thibadeau. However I have a question that I am really confused about…

In that particular discussion thread, Thib responded to someon and said to perform the HSS on both the Biceps and Triceps for that particular workout session. So that means I do the whole HSS 100 for the bis and then start all over again for the tris and do the HSS 100? Isnt that like a crazy amount of volume or am I thinking too deep into this.

And if anyone has performed the original HSS 100 and want to share their workout, that would be really helpful! thank you.[/quote]

Actually you can either do the HSS pattern for both the biceps and triceps. Or only do it for the biceps and add some ‘‘regular’’ triceps work. Triceps are involved indirectly with shoulders and chest work anyways.

If you decide to do HSS for both, you can use an alternative pattern:

A1. Heavy triceps movement
90 sec rest

A2. Heavy biceps movement
90 sec rest

B1. first triceps superset movement
no rest

B2. second triceps superset movement
90 sec rest

B3. first biceps superset movement
no rest

B4. second biceps superset movement
90 sec rest

C1. Triceps special exercise
60-75 sec rest

C2. Biceps special exercise
60-75 sec rest

D1. Tricepc 100 reps
60-75 sec rest

D2. Biceps 100 reps

End of workout

Wow. Thanks Coach, Your the last person i expected to answer my question. I feel honored. Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Serd wrote:

And if anyone has performed the original HSS 100 and want to share their workout, that would be really helpful! thank you.

Actually you can either do the HSS pattern for both the biceps and triceps. Or only do it for the biceps and add some ‘‘regular’’ triceps work. Triceps are involved indirectly with shoulders and chest work anyways.

90 sec rest

90 sec rest

no rest

90 sec rest

no rest

90 sec rest

60-75 sec rest

60-75 sec rest

D1. Tricepc 100 reps
60-75 sec rest

D2. Biceps 100 reps

End of workout[/quote]

Coach

Would this mean doing 28 sets in one day???

I just started this as well for a change of pace and decided to split up shoulders and chest. I do a triceps exercise on shoulder day and a couple biceps exercises on chest day. There’s no amazing logic behind this, I just picked five muscle groups to do HSS for and split up arms between the two smallest.

I think you should figure out your needs and set it up accordingly.

interesting approach wfifer, only thing is i would a) really like a dedicated arm day considering i never really do direct arm work (and as a result my middle is bigger than my limbs) and b) i was thinking of a split like this:

bis/tris

quads

back/traps

chest/shoulders

hams

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Serd wrote:

90 sec rest

90 sec rest

no rest

90 sec rest

no rest

90 sec rest

60-75 sec rest

60-75 sec rest

D1. Tricepc 100 reps
60-75 sec rest

D2. Biceps 100 reps

End of workout[/quote]

That’s how I go about it as well. I have split up the workout differently, I know that’s not recommended but to date it’s gotten me pretty good results for only doing it for two weaks.

Monday - Chest/Bicep
Tuesday - Quads
Wendesday - Back/triceps
Thursday - Off
Friday - Hams
Saturday - Shoulders/Abs
Sunday - Off

definitely an interesting way to do it. but then my question would only be do u just do biceps and triceps like 3 sets at the end, or two hss-100 protocols?

Not sure if this thread is still alive, but I started HSS-100, and I am curious as to what everyone uses for their 100 rep exercise? I used pec deck for chest. Is that a good choice?

The final 100 reps, is that any exercise for that muscle group? For example a shoulder day, end with 100 overhead presses with just the bar? Or light DBs? Or was there a specific list I missed?

no list, but that is kinda what I am looking for. It seems as though some exercises would simply be easier to pump out 100 reps than others (barbell press v fly). Maybe I am crazy.