Orientatered?

I love it. Yes, I have to bring this up again.

orient - to adjust to a particular situation
oriented - adjusted …
orientation - the adjustment …
Orientate - an Oriental style of cooking taters, Orientated
OR … is it Orientatered?

Also see Orientatt - an Oriental style of tattoo typically featuring dragons and Asian women - “check it … dude’s all Orientatted”

Bastard

This actually a huge pet peeve of mine, with this word especialy. I can’t believe people’s lack of ability to choose the correct word for the “tense” in which they are speaking. I seen this happen a couple times yesterday.

(that’s another one that makes my skin crawl)

It’s “Orientated”.

I have some clients that say “we are very computer Orientated…” It buggs the hell out of me, I correct them and say… YES computer ORIENTED, YES…

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
It’s “Orientated”.

I have some clients that say “we are very computer Orientated…” It buggs the hell out of me, I correct them and say… YES computer ORIENTED, YES…[/quote]

That’s rediculous!

DB

I thought it would have something to do with being hit in the head by a chinese potato. That will leave you disorientatered.

What about suppose?

Suppose: to assume for the sake of argument; to think or hold as an opinion; to require logically.

Supposed (adj); SUPPOSEDLY (adv)

Why is it every other damned moron says SUPPOSEBLY?! WTF!! “Supposebly he went to the store.”

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

sorry. tension breaker, had to be done.

I work with some people who say they are “destinated” when they arrive on scene. Bugs the hell out of me.

Me fail english? That unpossible!

Irregardless. That’s the one that gets me. That, and apostrophe’s in everything.

hahaha

-folly

[quote]folly wrote:
Irregardless. That’s the one that gets me. That, and apostrophe’s in everything.

hahaha

-folly[/quote]

Irregardless

ir?re?gard?less ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-g?rdls)
adv. Nonstandard
Regardless.

[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright ? 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
orient - to adjust to a particular situation
oriented - adjusted …
orientation - the adjustment …
Orientate - an Oriental style of cooking taters, Orientated
OR … is it Orientatered?
[/quote]

I’ll be a dick and point out that your definition above is, at best, incomplete. The words “orient,” and yes, “orientate” come from the original sense of the “Orient,” or the East… the idea being that one fixed or determined one’s position by referencing some fixed point.

“Orientate” is perfectly acceptable, and lately seems to be used more to refer to psychological frames of reference (although this is my own observation, and not corroborated by any sort of “official” evidence that I know of).

The distinction seems to be something similar to “further/farther,” with the former being reserved for something that is at a greater mental or temporal (metaphorical) distance, and the latter for definite, physical measures.

[quote]Caine wrote:
What about suppose?

Suppose: to assume for the sake of argument; to think or hold as an opinion; to require logically.

Supposed (adj); SUPPOSEDLY (adv)

Why is it every other damned moron says SUPPOSEBLY?! WTF!! “Supposebly he went to the store.”

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

sorry. tension breaker, had to be done.[/quote]

actually supposedly and supposably are both words. as you said supposedly is the adverb of supposed:

“swivel’s supposedly bringin’ the beers tonight.”

likewise supposably is the adverb of supposable:

“supposably swivel goes out and picks up enough chicks for all of us.”

but you’re right, i suppose most times people should be sayin’ supposedly 'cause supposably there ain’t alot of times you’re supposed to talk about that which is capable of being supposed. eh ?

[quote]nephorm wrote:
I’ll be a dick and point out that your definition above is, at best, incomplete. The words “orient,” and yes, “orientate” come from the original sense of the “Orient,” or the East… the idea being that one fixed or determined one’s position by referencing some fixed point.

“Orientate” is perfectly acceptable, and lately seems to be used more to refer to psychological frames of reference (although this is my own observation, and not corroborated by any sort of “official” evidence that I know of).[/quote]

but we already know that you are a dick …

yes, orientate is a word with specific contextual applications that i have yet to see here on T-Nation … until now …

that being said, nephorm struggles with his sexuality … some say that he chooses neorientation

;0

Bastard

O"ri*ent (?), v. t. [F. orienter. Cf. Orientate.]

To define the position of, in relation to the orient or east; hence, to ascertain the bearings of.

Fig.: To correct or set right by recurring to first principles; to arrange in order; to orientate.

Webster 1913