Organic Whole Food PWO?

And you absolutely had to choose an “organic” - “whole food” - for your post-workout recovery. Which would it be or which combination and why?

[quote]DAKOG wrote:
And you absolutely had to choose an “organic” - “whole food” - for your post-workout recovery. Which would it be or which combination and why?[/quote]

I do use an organic PWO. It consists of one scoop of organic whey with 8-12 oz. of organic milk and a few tablespoons of organic chocolate syrup. All of it is obtained at Whole Foods Market. I use it because it is a combination of insulin-boosting simple sugars and high quality complete proteins.

I am not qualified to argue the science of why this is good but it’s pretty much common knowledge. I am certain somone can direct you to an article.

As to why I use organic, it’s just because I’m a food snob.

If you are talking whole foods, not any kind of supplements at all, I guess my vote would be for something like a plain baked potato and mess of scrambled egg whites. I would probably add in something like a glass of sugar laden ice tea or lemonade as well.

Cheers!

PS-- just out of curiosity, what’s the reason behind this question? IE are you against supplementation? etc. . .

Glass of milk?

Organic raw milk, yogurt, chocolate syrup, mixed with frozen organic mixed berries.

Just got back in town…

The reason I ask is because I developed an extreme case of arthritis - I’m 35, healthy, appropriate weight, look good, etc. and it happened over night. My ankles, knees, etc. became swollen and stiff and painful - no fun there for about 3 weeks. I am healing now due to meditation, positive thinking, and a very extreme diet change to whole foods. No sugars, sweetners, refined foods, alcohol, caffiene, etc. etc. I take vitamins but that’s about it currently. Last year I made some great gains in muscle size and strength - then four month break from diet and exercise, even was smoking,(work excuses) then bang! So, I was looking for help when I return to the gym which should be very soon! I have some interesting info on inherited metabolic predisposition. Hunter-gather vs. agriculturalist, mixed type…

[quote]FinnishGuy wrote:
If you are talking whole foods, not any kind of supplements at all, I guess my vote would be for something like a plain baked potato and mess of scrambled egg whites. I would probably add in something like a glass of sugar laden ice tea or lemonade as well.

Cheers!

PS-- just out of curiosity, what’s the reason behind this question? IE are you against supplementation? etc. . .[/quote]

DAKOG, have you seen a doctor and gotten a diagnosis? There a lot of different reasons you could be experiencing hot, swollen, painful, stiff joints.

Once you know what’s causing the problem, positive thinking and changes in your diet would (should!) be highly complementary In some casees exercise will make arthritis better, but in other cases, you would be doing lasting damage to your joints.

Get all the facts before you proceed … to the gym or anywhere else, for that matter!

Good luck! I hope you get a handle on things and get past this.

Milk with raw honey and protein sounds like an idea.

Fat free natural yogurt and honey with fruit…I like fat free fage greek yogurt with honey, vanilla and cinnamon and a lot of blueberries. Try it, it’s great.

Thanks Tony,
I have been seeing a Rheumatologist for over a month or so. The official/unofficial diagnoses is Spondyloarthtropathy - he has me on methotrexate (lovely) and prednisone (love the acne) which I tapering off of now. Believe me, this kind of thing requires all forms of medicine - traditional and alternative. I’m getting better but not out of woods just yet. I am a big believer on stress reduction, meditation, and whole foods. I haven’t had any soda or tasted anything sweet in two months now! Going for at least six…

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
DAKOG, have you seen a doctor and gotten a diagnosis? There a lot of different reasons you could be experiencing hot, swollen, painful, stiff joints.

Once you know what’s causing the problem, positive thinking and changes in your diet would (should!) be highly complementary In some casees exercise will make arthritis better, but in other cases, you would be doing lasting damage to your joints.

Get all the facts before you proceed … to the gym or anywhere else, for that matter!

Good luck! I hope you get a handle on things and get past this.[/quote]