T Nation

Organic Chemistry

anyone know any good sites or e-books on organic chemistry?

Depends…org chem is kind of…layperson unfriendly. For that reason, it’s also not a big presence on the web. There’s next to no real hardcore organic stuff. What areas did you want info on?

I would recommend asking someone who has a lot of knowledge in organic chemistry if you are having trouble. Preferably your teacher or a TA. Good luck.

If you’re working on learning it for class or for shits and giggles (though I would have no idea why you would subject yourself to Organic Chem for amusement) nothing can replace a good textbook and it’s accompanying problems and soloutions manual.

A knowledgable instructor would, of course, help.

Yeah, why do you want to pick up organic chemistry?

You can probably pick up an old textbook at Goodwill for a few bucks.

Here’s a nice site that I bookmarked some time ago. And while it’s always a good idea to learn and master the material, success in undergrad OChem can also be achieved through memorization.

http://www.chemhelper.com/index.html

i have to do it in my course >_<
the text books a rip, 140 bucks for something we’ll use for like 8 weeks

thanks for the site chillain >_>

i might just go the library and see if they have an old text book.

One of the biggest scams is the mandatory purchase of textbooks. In this digital age, there is no reason for canning a 3rd edition, change a few words, add a foreward, and force students to buy brand new 4th edition books.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
One of the biggest scams is the mandatory purchase of textbooks. In this digital age, there is no reason for canning a 3rd edition, change a few words, add a foreward, and force students to buy brand new 4th edition books. [/quote]

This always bothered me. I had a few professors in college who I absolutely LOATHED even before we stepped inside the classroom because they authored the text for the class and did exactly what you mentioned above. They were basically stealing money from us poor college students and they fucking knew it.

As for the OP’s question, I’ve never taken Org Chem but, just from basic college experience, most universities have secondhand bookstores not attached to the school. Find one of these, you won’t get a huge discount from what the school’s selling the book for (I usually found them for 20-30% off), but you will be using the assigned text (or something 1 edition old), which is much better than following along using something from the library (imo). Oh, and at the end of a semester, when the college bookstore won’t buy back your books (because a new edition is conveniently being released), sell them back to the secondhand store.

[quote]Brown_Lifter wrote:
i have to do it in my course >_<
the text books a rip, 140 bucks for something we’ll use for like 8 weeks

thanks for the site chillain >_>

i might just go the library and see if they have an old text book.[/quote]

When I took organic chem 4 years ago our text book had an accompanying website that required an access code, which was printed in each book, I would suggest checking that out, if it’s 140 bucks I would think it would have a website with it. Anyway the website for our book at the time had pretty much everything that the text had and it even had online quizes and tests that you could do.