Organ Meats vs Protein Powder

My 2 cents

heart is a VERY lean cut of meat that has helped reduce sat fat in diet when needed. And very tasty vesatile cut to use.

chicken/turkey gizzards also very low fat/high protein. heart/gizzards are dirt cheap to buy too.

Use deer/elk liver, can’t get calf. Just gotta smother in onions to get it down.

I do quite fine on beef or chicken liver and kidneys, which I eat about twice per week. They’re dirt cheap! I get them for $1.50 per pound.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
http://www.manataka.org/page1852.html
[/quote]

[quote]Native Americans and Diabetes
Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades

If ever someone wanted proof that humans weren’t designed to eat a grain-based diet, look at the American Indian population-almost all of them are battling overweight, diabetes, and heart disease… [/quote]

I wonder what can they say about Asians and their grain/carb based diet?

Perhaps one could say that these diets were also what we would generally call today restricted-calorie?

I don’t think anyone suggests that quite-to-very low caloric intake of a largely carbohydrate-based diet leads to diabetes or overweight condition.

As to whether diabetes was a common result for the minority of Asians historically that may have had largely carbohydrate-based diets and ate enough of it to achieve obesity, I don’t have information.

It is at the least fair to say that obesity was a result of it, where this occurred (in fact guaranteed, given the specific wording above.)

Or if we are talking about individuals who had high caloric intake of a high carbohydrate diet and did not get fat, then I believe we would be talking about individuals doing a large or even very great amount of physical work, which historically was true for much of the population doing manual labor, which can be a different situation than the American or American academic denying that high carbohydrate diets could contribute to his diabetes or to that of many other Americans.

It also depends on what kind of carbs the high carb diet consists of.
Water, nutrient, and fiber content are very important not only nutritionally, but to lower the GL and provide satiety.
Obviously with the asian example, rice is a large part of their diet, just googled and it showed protein content at below 3%(white) and up to 15%(wild) protein content, ~28% carbohydrate content. So now you have anywhere from a 7:1 to a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. In order for them to get adequate protein, they may have to consume an enormous amount of carbs, so they have to be physically active.
What I’m getting to is, to say high-carb can be kind of a vague statement if you don’t look at the activity level of the demographic, as well as the source of the carbohydrate.
High-carb Asia =/= High Carb North America.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
It also depends on what kind of carbs the high carb diet consists of.

Water, nutrient, and fiber content are very important not only nutritionally, but to lower the GL and provide satiety.

Obviously with the asian example, rice is a large part of their diet, just googled and it showed protein content at below 3%(white) and up to 15%(wild) protein content, ~28% carbohydrate content. So now you have anywhere from a 7:1 to a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein.

What I’m getting to is, to say high-carb can be kind of a vague statement if you don’t look at the activity level of the demographic, as well as the source of the carbohydrate.

High-carb Asia =/= High Carb North America.[/quote]

That’s another point that should be key.

The protein/carb content and ratios of historical foods is often or perhaps always not much at all like the American-version modern foods.

It might also be that modern commercial Asian foods are now not the same as they had been in the past.

I do not know if it’s a fact as I read it only in a popular source recently, but along the same lines that you are saying, I’d recently seen that maize (supposedly) had much more protein in it than does modern corn.

It’s difficult to talk about in the context of a controlled, apples-to-apples experiment (with regard to a diet containing protein powders vs. one without protein powders but with lots of organ meats).

For one thing, whether you’d been eating organ meats, protein powders or fish penis (Do fish even have dongs?), you said you’d dropped your daily protein intake from 300 grams to 180 grams. Well, that’s sure to make some sort of difference in and of itself. If you had made sure to keep your protein intake at 300g/day, just doing it without protein powders (and largely through organ meats), then you might have had a more fair comparison to make.

Secondly, even if you had kept your protein-powder-free daily protein intake at 300g/day, total daily caloric intake, at the very least, should be kept constant in order to have a fair comparison. And whole meats (organ meats, muscle meats, what have you) of course contain lots more calories due to their fat content than protein powders do. So if you could have kept your daily protein intake AND your daily caloric intake the same as when you were using protein powders (which might very well be impossible to do in reality – not sure), then we’d at least be in the ballpark of a pretty fair, controlled experiment.

Additionally however, whether you want to talk about elusive and mysterious “synergistic ingredients” or not, there are certain things that the meat diet (whether organ or muscle meat) contains that the protein powders don’t. (Protein powders might have slightly better amino acid profiles and/or absorption rates, but putting that aside . . . ) Meats contain fats, both good and bad, but some of those fats might have some very positive effects. (And some might have some negative affects in very high amounts).

ALSO – and I think this might be a key point of interest – that meat contains cholesterol. And cholesterol is essentially a building block of testosterone, so eating lots and lots of quality (and cholesterol-containing) meats everyday, organ or otherwise, might have enough of an effect on T levels to effect body composition, strength and energy levels (and maybe healing rates) to a noticeable degree vs. if you just got that similar amount of protein from protein powders and didn’t get all that extra cholesterol.

I know this is of no real conclusive use to anyone, but those are just some things to think about off the top of my oversized head. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely, on all points except the last – it’s certainly of conclusive use that comparisons need to be reasonably equal.

I mentioned the extreme inequality of my only personal comparison only to show why my personal comparison means about nothing, whereas perhaps others might have better comparisons.

[quote]Alpha F wrote:

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:

grats on the little lady.
[/quote]

She is not little.
[/quote]

LOL LOL

Congrats to the new couple !

With reference to eating organ meats: Some time ago I read a Q&A of a doctor from Ontario. He mentioned that they were using tracers in organ meats. When the organ meat was ingested the tracers were located in the organs of the consumers, heart to heart, pancreas to pancreas. When asked why the doctor replied “we are only scientists, only God knows that answere”. I think your wife will like that thought.

So in theory, does this mean someone with hepatitis, or diabetes, could eat liver and pancreas and get better?

Braaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiinsssss

I hadn’t known that about the tracers. That is indeed interesting. I also have no idea how or why.

Thank you for the congratulations, Mr NO!

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
"Remarkable Health
That the hunter-gatherer was healthy there is no doubt. Weston Price noted an almost complete absence of tooth decay and
dental deformities among Native Americans who lived as their ancestors did…
[/quote]

Food for thought:
In regard to that, modern man evolved further than ancient man to do well on limited cals, … ancient man also had this adaptation but it was not as developed since “lean mass accumulation” (for defense, hunting, fighting etc) was also a need that greatly influenced this “bio-evolutionary nutrient-partioning dichotomy”.

I think you should check out a book called nourishing traditions. It’s mostly recipes, but their is about 50+ pages and goes into a discussion about organ meats, as well as many other controversial topics. I can’t remember to how much detail, but they did promote organ meats and it’s benefits. The book is very well referenced. At the very least, your wife will have more recipes. I came across it as it was recommended by Charles Poliquin.

I don’t really have an opinion, as I do think it’s plausible that protein powder might not be as great as we all think, although I am very turned on by bcaa’s and caesin hydrosolate. For dieting, I think no protein powder is superior.

Thank you. I indeed will get that book.