T Nation

Ordering Used Equipment

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with ordering used gym equipment from sites like fitnessplus.com or usedgymequipment.com? Some of the prices seem too good to be true. I just need 10lb plates for my home gym, and would very much prefer not to get ripped off. Any input would be appreciated.

Go to a sports authority if your worried dude, pay the extra few dollars.

Used plates should be a dollar a pound or less.

I’d check out a HS or college nearby to see if they have any used plates for sale.

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
Used plates should be a dollar a pound or less.

I’d check out a HS or college nearby to see if they have any used plates for sale.[/quote]

You can get brand new plates for $1 a pound at walmart. They’re $1 to $1.25 a lb at Modells or Sports Authority. (olympic size of course).

find a used sports store nearby and/or scout out some garage sales - you’ll find even better prices and not have to pay shipping. the used plates at the store near me are $.39/lb for olympic, and i’ve gotten them for considerably cheaper out of people’s garages. (actually, i found a 1/2 power rack and 300lb olympic set w/ an ez bar, plate tree and 7’ bar for $200 on craigslist…might be the best deals on there)