T Nation

Order When Training Multiple Muscles

When you train two muscle groups in one day, is it best to finish one before you start the second?

I always train 2 muscle groups everyday. What I do is I plan out 5 sets of 3 exercises for each muscle group, making for a total of 30 sets during a workout. I will do one set for one muscle group, then immediately do a set for another muscle group. I then take a minute or two rest period.

I try to pair muscles that don’t affect the other muscle group’s exercises once those muscles are tired. I pair legs and shoulders, back and calves, chest and traps, and biceps and triceps together making for a 4-day cycle. This will greatly reduce your time in the gym if you do 2 sets back-to-back.

So just for example say I do in this order; squats, bench, leg extensions, flyes. Basically alternating groups legs, chest, legs, chest, thats no big problem?

There’s no one one right answer. However, antagonistic muscle pairing can be an effective means of training. it also increases the fitness aspect of your workout and cuts down on time in the gym.

You can use my Chest/Back day for an example.

Since Bench and Deadlift are my two compounds, I do them first. Then I super-set Incline DB Bench and DB Flyes. Then rest and do BB Rows and Pull-ups, and then Lat Pulldowns to kill it.

Get the big shit outta the way first and then hit your auxillaries. You won’t crap out on your compounds that way.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
There’s no one one right answer. However, antagonistic muscle pairing can be an effective means of training. it also increases the fitness aspect of your workout and cuts down on time in the gym.[/quote]

I agree. There really are numerous ways to go about organizing your workouts and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I personally train 5 body parts per session (the split I’m following has me doing chest,shoulders,triceps,back width, and back thickness one day and biceps,forearms,calves,hamstrings, and quads the other). The program also has me do the hardest exercise last in the workout. The reason being that if you put it first you’ll undoubtedly hold back knowing that you have all those other exercises still to come. By saving it for last you can give it everything you’ve got knowing that when you’re done all you have to do is crawl out of the gym, go home, and drink your PWO shake.

Putting the hardest exercise first on the other hand generally allows you to use more weight on that exercise and in a volume routine I’d probably put it first as well.

[quote]howie424 wrote:
So just for example say I do in this order; squats, bench, leg extensions, flyes. Basically alternating groups legs, chest, legs, chest, thats no big problem?[/quote]

Yeah that would work.