T Nation

Options for Avoiding a Beat-Down

The short version of the story:  Last week I was driving through my neighborhood on the way home from work with my niece in the car and I exchanged words with these 3 guys who were standing in the middle of the street.  I told them to get out of the road, and in a split second 8-7 more guy's appear from inside a garage and start yelling threats at me.  

Today I drove by again on the way home on my lunch break and some of the same guys are outside (only 5 this time) and they jump in their truck like they are gonna come after me, but then I guess they thought better of it, or the truck wouldn’t start, or something, because I rounded the curve and didn’t see them again.

Anyway, I brought an aluminum baseball bat with me just on the chance that my car gets blocked in or some shit like that and I these guys try to jump me. Normally I wouldn’t be that worried if it was only 1 or 2 against me, at least I would have a chance. But what is one to do when it’s 8 to 10 on 1?

The thing is, there are 5 different ways out of the neighborhood which are the same distance. The policeman who does security at my job told me it would be best if I just went a different way and avoided the situation altogether. He also said that if these guys close on me and i whack anyone with the bat before they have a chance to touch me, I could be charged with assault. The thing is, it hurts me to think of just taking a different way to work just avoid these punks. I mean it literally makes me sick to my stomach to think about letting them win. Isn’t that like letting a bully take your lunch money? I almost took a detour back to work, but I felt like such a pussy that I turned around in a driveway and went back to my street just to take my usual route and keep my dignity in tact. My adrenaline was surging as soon as I rounded the corner, but luckily no one was outside and there was no incident.

Sorry for the gargantuan post. Thoughts? Advice? What would you do?

Just keep doing what you do. If they didnt do anything the first time they are cowards. If they need to feel tough with 10 to 1 odds… cowards.

Just show them you’re not scared. Bullies are creatures of oppurtunity. Show them you’re not scared of them and you’ll be fine.

Risk vs. Reward.

Risk; the liklihood you will get your ass beat.

Reward;… being able to show them you’re not afraid of them. I guess.

Only… chances are, they could give a fuck less what you think. And you could give a fuck less what they think.

You ever see the Lion King? Mufasa’s explaining to his son the difference between bravery and stupidity. Think about it.

Uh,if I were in a vehicle and five to ten dudes were approaching me with intent to injure, I would not get out of the vehicle…a car makes a better weapon than a bat.

stream pepper spray in their direction.
Jump out and take their wallets. Don’t steal money, just throw that shit down the sewer. Squeeze a piss out on one of them.

Just be smart. Don’t go looking for a fight with them. Avoid them if possible. Don’t do anything to cause them to harm you within reason.

I would invest in a couple of Rottweilers and a Gun(if I was in fear of my life), I hear Texans have more guns than the Taleban.

But i’m sure you’ll be fine, by the way do you have a crew you hang out with as in some male friends who would be able to back you up if there was a ruckus?

Be Smart.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Risk vs. Reward.

Risk; the liklihood you will get your ass beat.

Reward;… being able to show them you’re not afraid of them. I guess.

[/quote]
I think that’s the gist of it. Which is more important is up to you. Like dude said, if they didn’t do anything the first time, they probably won’t do anything now. I wouldn’t do anything else to escalate the situation at this point.

Never underestimate idiots in large numbers. Taking the baseball bat out would just end up putting you in the hospital, or jail.
Sounds like a classy bunch of guys threatening you while there is a little girl in the car.

Just drive by and pretend like you don’t even notice them.

If you decide to appease your ego, your pride, things may turn out a lot worse than you imagine.

People do die in fights, especially against multiple opponents. People have literally DIED from a single blow to the head. You can trust if they get you it will be a lot more than that. Plus a lot of people carry knives. Real life isn’t youtube or movies, fights can fuck you up bad. Chances are you’d survive but probably with some missing teeth and broken bones. In that case I hope you don’t like to work out because you wouldn’t be for several months.

Even if you beat all of their asses your pride wouldn’t feel nearly as good as an ass whoopin hurts or dealing with the legal system sucks. Trust me, it’s not worth it.
Take a different way and and be full of pride about how you’re a lot smarter than them.

Who said you’d be letting them win by going another way? In reality, you’re just not letting yourself lose.

But if you really want to keep going your normal route, go right on ahead. The way I see it, if they do start closing in on you and you take a swing, you can claim self-defense because of “a clear and present danger wherein they approached you in an obviously threatening manner without the possibility of confrontational avoidance.”

yeah, when 2 or more guys are threatening you, that is clear and present danger. It doesnt matter if you are goddamn Fedor. If 2+ dudes are messing with you, they may have a knife, be ninja’s you dont know. better safe than sorry, either avoid the whole thing or go nuts if they push it. Take out the big one or leader first and that may make them change their mind.

Unless you’re driving through Baghdad with roadblocks and a roadside bomb, I don’t think there’s a way that they can force you to stop and/or get out of your car.

Just continue going your same route, pretend they don’t exist, and if they follow you, just drive to a police station. I doubt they’re going to be laying in wait for hours on end for you to drive by and spring a trap.

First of all, you need to let these guys know you don’t play. Break into their houses when they are asleep and dump Tabasco sauce in their undies. While you are there, might as will piss in their apple juice and rub one or five out in their jar of mayo. Make sure you eat a lot of cabbage, beans, and meat before you do this so you can upper-deck every toilet in their house as well.

Do they have a septic tank or are they on city/water and sewer? If they have a septic, get a few 50lbs bags of quickcreate and dump in down their drainfield vent, then grab the garden hose and leave it on over night.

On their sweet truck that doesn’t run, suck the all the break fluid out of the master cylinder and then slice the break lines. A lot of people fuck up here and just cut the lines and then there is a pool of break fluid under each tire because the fluid will bleed out all night.

By this point they should be good and pissed off, so now the next time the attempt to chase after you in their truck they will blow a corner and drive into something and die. Problem solved.

You do realize they can find out where you live by running a check on your license plate. Do you really want to escalate this and constantly worry about a visit to your home?

Drive a different way and take out your aggression in the weight room.

[quote]dragonmamma wrote:
You do realize they can find out where you live by running a check on your license plate. Do you really want to escalate this and constantly worry about a visit to your home?

Drive a different way and take out your aggression in the weight room.
[/quote]

How would a civilian non-LEO run a plate check?

funny story:

I was doing my second behind the wheel and I kept slowing down for people trying to cross in the middle of the street. The instrusctor asked “What are you doing”. I said “letting them cross” He said “they aren’t in a crosswalk, if they get hit it’s their fault” me “awesome”.

Wait for them to get in a cluster and drive drive over them. It’ll be like bowling, but better.

disclaimer: I do not condone or take any responsibility for you playing human bowling

Fuck. I don’t see what you’re so worried about.

Three words.

Rocket. Propelled. Grenade.

Hire a neighborhood kid to scout for you. The only problem is you are going to have to kill him before you do what I am suggesting so you have no witnesses. Not a big deal, though. His parents can always have another kid.

Anyway, when your scout tells you all his little buddies are out there partying it up sneak through your neighborhood, find an advantageous spot across the street, wait until most of them are in the same place and BOOM!!!

Problem solved.

You could buy a replica shotgun (preferably one that can fire - just for the noise), and if they try stopping you fire it in the air and act like a crazy mofo.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

disclaimer: I do not condone or take any responsibility for you playing human bowling[/quote]

if you do. post video. priceless

[quote]eigieinhamr wrote:
You could buy a replica shotgun (preferably one that can fire - just for the noise), and if they try stopping you fire it in the air and act like a crazy mofo.[/quote]

This is dumb advice. Wouldnt it be better to have a real shotgun to shoot into the air in case they dont care that you have a shotgun and you have to actually shoot it at them?