T Nation

Options Before Making the Jump to TRT?

Hey guys,

I’ve been reading a lot about TRT this past year and I’m feeling very drawn to it. I realize it is for life so I am not wanting to jump in haphazardly.

I’m looking to explore alternate medications, supplements and lifestyle choices first to see if they can get me to where I’d like to be.

A little about me, I’m 29 yrs old, 6’2" and 225 pounds (102 kg) at 16.7 % bodyfat (BIA scan from InBody). My energy levels, motivation, erection strength and sex drive are all okay. I have noticed they have started to take a slight dive as i edge closer to 30.

I take quite good care of myself. I train hard, prioritize my sleep and eat a balanced diet the majority of the time. The reason I’m drawn to TRT is that I feel like I’m capable of a lot more and potentially my hormones or a deficiency somewhere is holding me back from feeling AMAZING. I also realize its not practical to feel amazing all the time but I think you get the idea?

I mentioned my overall health and vitality is okay. I’m quite good at managing my energy levels and taking rest when need be. However, with the birth of my son two weeks ago i’m seeking that little extra edge to compliment my work, home, family and gym life.

Perhaps TRT is the answer or perhaps I’m a little jaded as to what can be achieved with it.

Here’s my current blood results:

Total Test: 20.8 nmol/L (10.0 - 35.0)
Calculated Free Test: 418 pmol/L (225 - 725)
SHBG: 38 (10 - 50)
TSH: 2.08 mu/L (0.40 - 4.00)
FSH: 4 U/L (<9)
LH: 6 U/L (<8)
Oestradiol: <100 pmol/L (<190) (Not very helpful I know. I got my test done in Australia, is there a more specific test I should ask for in the future?)
Prolactin: 340 mU/L (<330)
Ferritin: 53 ug/L (30 - 400)

I should mention at the time of this test I was taking a test booster supplement (with DAA and laxogenin) I have read studies of those with low test 200 pmol/L supplementing with DAA almost doubling there test so my natural levels could be a little lower.

I’ve read extensively about people using Clomid to boost test levels by stimulating LH and FSH. Upon further reading, I gathered that Nolvadex was a safer option to achieve a similar result with less side effects.

I have 30 20 mg Tamoxifen tablets and my plan is to take 20 mg EOD and reassess my bloods in 6 weeks. I’m hoping to get a feel of what the higher end test levels could feel like and potentially kick my HPTA back into gear if it has any issues. In my early twenties up to the age of 24 I was abusing alcohol and hard drugs heavily but have been clean for the last 5 years.

I’m also going to get a FT3 and FT4 test when I get my tamoxifen enhanced bloods. I will try to get a more precise Oestradiol reading at this time too. I’m going to start supplementing 3 mg Boron daily (thanks physiolojik) and have a liquid iodine supplement on the way. My TSH is in range but without FT3 and FT4 I know its hard to get a clear picture.

This forum has a wealth of knowledge and I have been on and off here for the last decade. I wonder if there is anything you think i may have missed, any tips pointers or pitfalls you can see?

Thanks guys I appreciate your insights!

You want labs that show what your 100% natural levels are. That test booster could have even been supressing your levels. From what I gather test boosters are either bullshit laced with AAS or just 100% pure uncut bullshit

1 Like

so you feel ok, energy is good, there is libido, but …there is a slight (normal) dive?
If i was you i would look into the most healthy life style possible, so none of that chemical shit that you will find in almost everything, just try to live, eat and stay healthy, your young and when you start really slipping then you go see a doc…once you start messing with your hormones then its for the rest of your life, so why in gods name would you do that when there are no reall complaints

1 Like

This ^

Your numbers are decent and you can get a Woodrow and have libido.

I would try to better lifestyle, and then retest levels!

1 Like