Optimum Whey vs Surge

GDWarrior,

Milk has both casein and whey in it. Just like Metabolic Drive or w/e.

I also like drinking milk which has a 1.5 to 1 carb to protein ratio and adding extra sugars for more carbs.

I don’t think adding Whey is necessary if you are drinking milk. 3 cups of milk is 24g of protein and only 32g of carbs. Depending on your specific protocol, you probably want to add more carbohydrates to this, not more protein.

If you desperately the need the calories PWO, I assume you mean that you need a lot of carbs. In which case a ton of milk, combined with some breakfast cereal or even chocolate mixture (I either take Surge or one of these two) is a good idea.

Cinnamon toast crunch FTW imo

thanks

GD, Out of curiosity, how old are you and how long have you been training?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
GDwarrior wrote:
yea the optimum i drink does have BCAAs and all that in it, the only reasons i mix it with milk is because i desperately need the calories. Is Surge mixed with milk or water? what do you guys think about drinking Surge after workout and Whey at any other times? If Surge cannot be mixed with milk maybe its best for me personally to stick to whey even post workout (it has BCAAS and glutamine for post workout) simply because i can mix it with milk for the extra calories?

Mix only with water.[/quote]

This is just plain untrue. You can mix whey with milk if you need the calories… besides, where do you think the whey came from???

Milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey. I would recommend using water as a base for post workout. Of course you can use milk and it will be better than nothing at all but the point post workout is to get an insulin response to drive the nutrients into the muscles.

That is why I think it is best to use fast digesting protein and sugar. With Surge you will get that. With ON Whey mixed with water and some form of simple sugar you will get that. With ON Whey mixed with milk, while I wouldn’t suggest it would be bad, it will not be optimal. The casein will slow absorption at a time when you don’t want absorption slowed.

I would recommend Surge mixed with water with a scoop of ON Whey added. Or ON Whey mixed with water and a maltodextrin/dextrose or some other simple sugar mix.

If you want/need more calories there are plenty of other feeding opportunities with which to increase your daily intake.

Christopher

[quote]monkey_space wrote:
Milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey. I would recommend using water as a base for post workout. Of course you can use milk and it will be better than nothing at all but the point post workout is to get an insulin response to drive the nutrients into the muscles.

That is why I think it is best to use fast digesting protein and sugar. With Surge you will get that. With ON Whey mixed with water and some form of simple sugar you will get that. With ON Whey mixed with milk, while I wouldn’t suggest it would be bad, it will not be optimal. The casein will slow absorption at a time when you don’t want absorption slowed.

I would recommend Surge mixed with water with a scoop of ON Whey added. Or ON Whey mixed with water and a maltodextrin/dextrose or some other simple sugar mix.

If you want/need more calories there are plenty of other feeding opportunities with which to increase your daily intake.

Christopher[/quote]

Studies has proven otherwise.

Check the following articles:

www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-as-an-effective-post-exercise-rehydration-drink.html

www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html

[quote]Kujo2020 wrote:
monkey_space wrote:

Christopher

www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-as-an-effective-post-exercise-rehydration-drink.html

www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/milk-the-new-sports-drink-a-review-research-review.html
[/quote]

Studies has proven what otherwise? That milk is not 80% casein and 20% whey? That casein does not form into a “gel” like substance in the stomach and break down and digest over several hours? That casein will not slow absorption? That an insulin spike post workout does not shuttle more nutrients into the muscles? That you can not increase your daily caloric intake by adding extra calories at times other than post workout?

I did not say anywhere in my post that milk would be bad to drink post workout. I just think that sticking with whey for post workout and saving casein/blended proteins for other feeding opportunities would be optimal. This is based on my opinion drawn from numerous studies and by experimenting to find what seems to work best for me. And while I am not saying I am right and everyone else is wrong, what I think is not far off base from what most experts recommend.

Christopher

[quote]monkey_space wrote:
Kujo2020 wrote:
monkey_space wrote:

Christopher

Studies has proven what otherwise? That milk is not 80% casein and 20% whey?
Christopher[/quote]

and?

[quote]
That casein does not form into a “gel” like substance in the stomach and break down and digest over several hours?
Christopher[/quote]

so what?

[quote]
That casein will not slow absorption?
Christopher[/quote]

of what? Studies have proven that milk and sucrose are either equally as effective or MORE effect than glucose polymers for maximizing protein synthesis and for rehydration in the post-workout period.

[quote]
That an insulin spike post workout does not shuttle more nutrients into the muscles?
Christopher[/quote]

Are you insinuating that milk does not spike insulin? I also think you are misunderstanding the relevance of the insulin spike. This review addresses it in detail:

http://user210805.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/AARR-Jan-2008.pdf

[quote]
I did not say anywhere in my post that milk would be bad to drink post workout. I just think that sticking with whey for post workout and saving casein/blended proteins for other feeding opportunities would be optimal. This is based on my opinion drawn from numerous studies and by experimenting to find what seems to work best for me. And while I am not saying I am right and everyone else is wrong, what I think is not far off base from what most experts recommend.

Christopher[/quote]

Why not read the articles linked before saying what is “optimal”?

I still use the Surge product, but just saying “milk is casein and therefore not as good postworkout” does not really take into account any of the relevant issues.

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
monkey_space wrote:
Kujo2020 wrote:
monkey_space wrote:

Christopher

Studies has proven what otherwise? That milk is not 80% casein and 20% whey?
Christopher

and?

That casein does not form into a “gel” like substance in the stomach and break down and digest over several hours?
Christopher

so what?

That casein will not slow absorption?
Christopher

of what? Studies have proven that milk and sucrose are either equally as effective or MORE effect than glucose polymers for maximizing protein synthesis and for rehydration in the post-workout period.

That an insulin spike post workout does not shuttle more nutrients into the muscles?
Christopher

Are you insinuating that milk does not spike insulin? I also think you are misunderstanding the relevance of the insulin spike. This review addresses it in detail:

http://user210805.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/AARR-Jan-2008.pdf

Christopher

Why not read the articles linked before saying what is “optimal”?

I still use the Surge product, but just saying “milk is casein and therefore not as good postworkout” does not really take into account any of the relevant issues.
[/quote]

Wow! I feel like I was attacked when I was just trying to be helpful and state my opinion.

I did read both articles. I also worded my statement as “what seems to work best for me.” I still believe using water as a base with whey is optimal, at least for me it is. I have used milk both by itself and as a base and it “feels” more heavy and I don’t seem to recover as well. I can see the supplement companies misleading us by saying whey is best post workout and casein should be avoided then, but I have a hard time believing they control the many research studies I have read that state the same.

I also don’t see where I said “milk is casein.” I do see where I said “Milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey.”

As mentioned above I was just trying to be helpful and share what has worked best for me. No studies can change that. :slight_smile:

Christopher