Optimum Nutrition Bought Out

One of the biggest stories the supplement genius has seen in 2008 is the acquisition of Optimum Nutrition by one of the largest whey-protein manufacturers in the world. The company that has bought Optimum is called �??Glanbia�?? which is headquartered in Ireland but has divisions around the world including Canada, U.S., Europe, U.K. and Nigeria to name a few. Glanbia employs 4.900 people and just last year their revenues totaled $2.2 billion which gives you an indication of just how large they are!

Optimum is easily the top-5 largest sports nutrition companies in the U.S. and Canada right now with brands �??Optimum Nutrition�?? , �??Gold Standard 100% Whey�?? and �??AMERICAN BODY BUILDNG�?? leading the pack. The total consideration for the acquisition is $315 million dollars.

Optimum Nutrition

Optimum has been in the supplement business for 22 years now and is owned by Mike and Tony Costello. They have 4 state-of-the-art production facilities occupying over 500,000 square feet of operating space and are the only sports nutrition company to manufacture their own supplements in every product category they�??re in.

For the U.S. market, they also have their own distribution company which ensures that they have strong market presence and also helps them keep their costs low. It is with this combination of manufacturing and distributing their own supplements that Optimum has been able to offer high-quality products at an affordable price. They have three operating facilities located in Illinois, South Carolina and Florida employing 387 people. Last year, they generated $185 million in revenue with and $32 million operating profit.

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve never had anything by them before. I’ve also never heard of Glanbia. But who the hell am I?

I used to love O.N’s whey. I hope the formula remains the same after the takeover.

Their whey is the only I’ll buy after alot of trial and error. I’m with ID, I hope they don’t change a thing.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Their whey is the only I’ll buy after alot of trial and error. I’m with ID, I hope they don’t change a thing.[/quote]

same here. great stuff.

That is interesting that ON produces and distributes their own stuff. I have often wondered about who makes protein powders for the various brands…

Though all my staples are Biotest, about every 12-16 weeks, I change the type/company of my intake. With my protein, at least the whey, I usually go ON.

Still haven’t found a casein I can stomach that’s not Biotest, much less one that tastes near as good.

[quote]Rattler wrote:
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve never had anything by them before. [/quote]

How is this even possible?

[quote]esk221 wrote:
Rattler wrote:
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve never had anything by them before.

How is this even possible?[/quote]

I made a mistake, I thought it was Ultimate Nutrition at first. Only thing by Optimum I’ve tried is their Gold Standard. But ever since I started I was using EAS Whey. Now I work at a Supp store I can afford more expensive stuff, we sell Biotest as well… but I can’t afford it :frowning:

ON Pro Complex for the win, fellas.

I three, hope they don’t change a thing. I love their products.