T Nation

Optimal Time to Start Using Steroids

i have been pondering this for a while.

when do you all think is the best time to start steroids?

should the user have been stuck on a plateau for a certain amount of time?

any specific numbers that should be looked as a minimum before use? (weight, lifts etc)

im defo not thinking about using steroids for a long time if ever but im just interested on the general consensus.

cheers
Scott

most people assume that the user should:

  1. be fully done with puberty
  • both because of the hormonal changes that occur during this period and the fact that bone growth is not done…this is why most people recommend waiting at the very least until the user is in their 20s and preferably 25 or later. during this time your hormone levels are already fairly optimal for building muscle (as long as you eating and training properly).
  1. have reached somewhere near their genetic potential
  • building as much muscle mass as possible before using seems to give users a better chance of reaching an overall larger size. they will have more androgen receptors and basically a larger base upon which to build a chemically assisted addition. unless the user is a very high level athlete who has trained very hard for a number of years the chance of them approaching their genetic limit (if one exists) at an age below 20 is pretty low. Most users see this decline around age 25 where gain become very hard to come by naturally.

I go over this in the newbie cycle planning guide as well as some other thoughts on who should and shouldn’t use btw

It doesn’t really matter. It’s just another variable that increases adaptation.

People don’t ask questions like;

  1. When should I start eating better?
  2. When should I start training smarter?
  3. When should I start taking supplements?

Steroids are no differant.

If you’re not done growing, make sure you keep estrogen in check, by not using aromatizing compounds, or by using an AI.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Steroids should never be used before the age of 21.

That is generally when your hormone systems are fully developed, and the risk of permenant damage is lower.

Most people feel 24 or later is ideal, someone said 25 I think, so its a fairly common perception.

The larger you are before you start using the more pronounced your gains will be when you start cycling.

If you needed steroids to bench 300, your never going to bench 500.

If your a natural 500 bencher, and I have met some, you’ll be a god once you get on juice.

I would say that you should be at your genetic potential in terms of size and strength.

Since your 6’2 I would say you should be at least 220 lean, as in 8-10% visible definition and abdominals before you consider gear.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Dopa wrote:
It doesn’t really matter. It’s just another variable that increases adaptation.

People don’t ask questions like;

  1. When should I start eating better?
  2. When should I start training smarter?
  3. When should I start taking supplements?

Steroids are no differant.

If you’re not done growing, make sure you keep estrogen in check, by not using aromatizing compounds, or by using an AI.

Actually Dopa makes a good point in a way.

Steroids can be viewed as a ‘super supplement’ I suppose.

In my view, as long as the user is physically and mentally mature enough and has shown that they know how to train and eat, then what’s the problem in them using - as long as they have done the research to understand the implications of their actions.

Bushy[/quote]

I can’t remember where I read it but someone claimed that arnold started on the juice at age 16…of course it is completely unsubstantiated because only arnold and a select few others would actually know when he started.

I am sure it is possible but to say to the majority that it is ok is pretty obviously a risk. there are very few teenagers responsible enough to properly use gear or knowledgeable enough to do it correctly so I would caution against it.

[quote]Westclock wrote:

I would say that you should be at your genetic potential in terms of size and strength.

[/quote]

I see this a lot… but what percentage of steroid users(responsible ones) do people think followed this advice? I would imagine people wouldn’t start using into the late 20s/early 30s if this were the case but when I see polls of who started when it’s usually much earlier.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Since your 6’2 I would say you should be at least 220 lean, as in 8-10% visible definition and abdominals before you consider gear.
[/quote]

i think this is a dangerous statement.

personally id say, use that tattoo method. when you think you are ready for aas, wait 1 year, and if you really think you are ready for then, then go for it. i once thought i was ready for aas use (age, 18), these guys here talked me out of it. now one year later, i realized how uneducated i was about steroids and the human body, and am now smart enough to realize that aas is not what i need right now, no matter how much i want to use (which i do). i keep growing at fantastic rates naturally, so why would i?

It’s up to you to decide, I personally think should be reserved for individuals who are 30+ who start to see a natural decline in Testosterone.

If you think you need them to build a solid physique, they should not be used. If you think you need them to be strong, you should not use.

You could start as low as 17 imo without much damage, but this would be stupid and a waste of gear really. Should be saved for a time when you can’t progress much further at all naturally which happens when your much older. This is just my opinion though, you can do whatever you want with your body.

[quote]Dylanj wrote:
Westclock wrote:
Since your 6’2 I would say you should be at least 220 lean, as in 8-10% visible definition and abdominals before you consider gear.

i think this is a dangerous statement.[/quote]

Yes I see your point, it would be dangerous to assume your mental maturity is on point just because your near your physical potential.

But I did place an ideal age stipulation of about 25. Age is no guarantee of maturity, but its impossible to give someone parameters for maturity.

What can I say ? When you have a solid career, a wife, 1.5 kids, a reliable car and a 401K ?

Its arbitrary.

I like your tattoo rule, but I know guys who are 17, been lifting for a year and half on a steady diet of taco bell, and think they are ready to cycle.

So theyd start at 18 by your rule with taco bell as their nutritionist.

As much as I hate to say it, Im glad juice is illegal, people are WAY too stupid to be allowed to use it as they wish.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Dylanj wrote:
Westclock wrote:
Since your 6’2 I would say you should be at least 220 lean, as in 8-10% visible definition and abdominals before you consider gear.

i think this is a dangerous statement.

Yes I see your point, it would be dangerous to assume your mental maturity is on point just because your near your physical potential.

But I did place an ideal age stipulation of about 25. Age is no guarantee of maturity, but its impossible to give someone parameters for maturity.

What can I say ? When you have a solid career, a wife, 1.5 kids, a reliable car and a 401K ?

Its arbitrary.

I like your tattoo rule, but I know guys who are 17, been lifting for a year and half on a steady diet of taco bell, and think they are ready to cycle.

So theyd start at 18 by your rule with taco bell as their nutritionist.

As much as I hate to say it, Im glad juice is illegal, people are WAY too stupid to be allowed to use it as they wish.

[/quote]

I actually do not disagree with any of the above posts.
they all make good points.

no one can really tell you when the right time to do anything to your body is.
it is your body and you take the risks and you will be the one reaping the rewards.
but you have to be in the right state of mind.

know that this is not an easy way out,its just another tool that is at your disposal.
you have to know your body and what effects different things have on you.

you have to have that mental maturity. some people its 17 some people not till there middle aged.
educate your self and you may not even want to do them.
only problem is that alot of the info out there is bias.
just try and learn all you can.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Dylanj wrote:
Westclock wrote:
Since your 6’2 I would say you should be at least 220 lean, as in 8-10% visible definition and abdominals before you consider gear.

i think this is a dangerous statement.

Yes I see your point, it would be dangerous to assume your mental maturity is on point just because your near your physical potential.

But I did place an ideal age stipulation of about 25. Age is no guarantee of maturity, but its impossible to give someone parameters for maturity.

What can I say ? When you have a solid career, a wife, 1.5 kids, a reliable car and a 401K ?

Its arbitrary.

I like your tattoo rule, but I know guys who are 17, been lifting for a year and half on a steady diet of taco bell, and think they are ready to cycle.

So theyd start at 18 by your rule with taco bell as their nutritionist.

As much as I hate to say it, Im glad juice is illegal, people are WAY too stupid to be allowed to use it as they wish.

[/quote]

yes, agreed. lets just leave it at there are to many factors to have a set guidline on when one is ready for steroids.

and what would be the age would you consider start using steroids if your plan is to become a succesful competitive bodybuilder???

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
andy90 wrote:
and what would be the age would you consider start using steroids if your plan is to become a succesful competitive bodybuilder???

Do you have the 0.1% genetics required to become a succesful competitive BBer and earn a living from it? I doubt it, in which case, 21 minimum age really as discussed above.

BBB[/quote]
you tell me, see my pics

you can’t know your true potential from the start

[quote]andy90 wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
andy90 wrote:
and what would be the age would you consider start using steroids if your plan is to become a succesful competitive bodybuilder???

Do you have the 0.1% genetics required to become a succesful competitive BBer and earn a living from it? I doubt it, in which case, 21 minimum age really as discussed above.

BBB
you tell me, see my pics

you can’t know your true potential from the start[/quote]

I’d say no, you have a small frame, and you dont hold a lot of muscle naturally. You’re about 13lbs bigger than I was before I started to workout. Id get up to atleast high 190s before you touch the forbidden fruit.

[quote]soontobeIFBB wrote:
andy90 wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
andy90 wrote:
and what would be the age would you consider start using steroids if your plan is to become a succesful competitive bodybuilder???

Do you have the 0.1% genetics required to become a succesful competitive BBer and earn a living from it? I doubt it, in which case, 21 minimum age really as discussed above.

BBB
you tell me, see my pics

you can’t know your true potential from the start

I’d say no, you have a small frame, and you dont hold a lot of muscle naturally. You’re about 13lbs bigger than I was before I started to workout. Id get up to atleast high 190s before you touch the forbidden fruit.[/quote]

i’ll try to get a good competitive bodybuilder anyway. this is my dream. as for aas, i’ll wait another year or two

IFBB - I think he would make a good competitive BB, for one it doesn’t necessarily mean winning the olympia to be a successful competitor, and for two by the time he gets the size on his frame, you never know what judges will be looking for - things change.

OP - However, while you have a great physique, fitness modelling may be an easier and more realistic goal - you are well built, but you have some muscle attachment issues that nothing will solve - i noticed that your chest, biceps and lats all have restricted lengths and/or high attachments.

With the lats, this isnt too bad, as it can be a desirable look for some, but a cramped chest, and short biceps can be an issue for many, especially if you dont get a peak on the biceps (think arnold) - although you could become successful, you would be unlikely to win the olympia (think lee preist’s chest).

But what do i know, i am just a dude still training for size to do a first show - so dont take my opinion too harshly :slight_smile:

Good luck, you look great lad.

Brook

I agree no reason to give up on a dream!! My body type is far from ideal, but it doesnt mean I wont try! But I dont think its worth sacraficing your future sexual health, unless you had a rare rare genetic potential.

good idea waiting.