Optimal Protein Intake

Hello all,

I know this topic has been hotly debated for quite some time, but I’ve encountered a dilemma of sorts. I do not know how much protein I should be getting each day, and how my macros should fall into place.

My brother’s wife gets paid a lot of money as a personal trainer and she’s quite knowledgeable. She tells me I’m getting too much protein (around 200-210 each day @210 pounds, 5’10").

She tell me that 126 is enough for someone who is weight training, but I know that everyone seems to say 1gram per pound of body weight.

I don’t know what to do. She tells me too much protein is bad for the liver long-term, and so on. I’m not a bodybuilder, but I am heavily involved in strength training and becoming the strongest version of myself. I need to feed myself correctly in order to reach those goals.

Is there someone who can shed some light into this? What is a reasonable amount of protein? I’m not at a low body fat, probably in the higher twenties. I figure I don’t need a gram per lb of body weight, correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:
Hello all,

I know this topic has been hotly debated for quite some time, but I’ve encountered a dilemma of sorts. I do not know how much protein I should be getting each day, and how my macros should fall into place.

My brother’s wife gets paid a lot of money as a personal trainer and she’s quite knowledgeable. She tells me I’m getting too much protein (around 200-210 each day @210 pounds, 5’10").

She tell me that 126 is enough for someone who is weight training, but I know that everyone seems to say 1gram per pound of body weight.

I don’t know what to do. She tells me too much protein is bad for the liver long-term, and so on. I’m not a bodybuilder, but I am heavily involved in strength training and becoming the strongest version of myself. I need to feed myself correctly in order to reach those goals.

Is there someone who can shed some light into this? What is a reasonable amount of protein? I’m not at a low body fat, probably in the higher twenties. I figure I don’t need a gram per lb of body weight, correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

Unless you have a preexisting liver issue, what you have been doing will not overly tax your liver or any other organ for that matter. The literature points to this. You can even exceed 1 gram per lbs of body weight by quite a bit and everything will still function as it should.

Some reputable folks actually suggest .8gr/lb of bw is better… most folks suggest erring on the higher side if you’re trying to cut the fat.

Meadows talks about the value of lemons on keeping the liver healthy, if you want to be proactive about it.

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:

She tell me that 126 is enough for someone who is weight training…[/quote]
I’m kidding, really. Mostly. But yeah. Kidding. I will say that 126 is an awfully arbitrary-sounding amount. I’m guessing she was guesstimating based off your lean mass or something.

I’m presuming she went into a little more detail that didn’t make it into the post? High protein intake is generally “associated” with kidney issues (and even then, if anything, it’s generally pre-existing conditions as was mentioned), not so much anything with the liver, but there’s certainly a chance she was talking about something I’m unfamiliar with.

Fair enough. For goals that aren’t appearance-based, I’ll say that protein intake by itself doesn’t always need to be the number one nutrition priority, but regardless, insufficient protein intake can lead to problems for any lifter.

[quote]I need to feed myself correctly in order to reach those goals.

I do not know how much protein I should be getting each day, and how my macros should fall into place.[/quote]
Can we take a quick second and just look at these two statements. If I were in your situation, I’d try talking to her, pulling out more detailed info, and seeing what could be applicable. From the sound of it, she isn’t exactly Average Jane-crappy personal trainer. If she has legit credentials, there’s a good chance her info is valid even if it might be contrary to what you’ve read elsewhere.

If you’re that fat, I’d at least consider taking her advice and following it, to the letter, for a few weeks. If you start losing strength and/or gaining even more fat, let her know immediately. But if you give it an honest and fair shot and see improvement, then all the better.

try it over your body with the suitable amount for you
not necessarily what good for me will be good for my wife or for you
listen to her instructions, its got the logic in it

test it and regulate your body response

hello again. Thanks for all the responses–I’ve decreased the amount of protein I eat daily and will test this out for a month before deciding to continue or alter my diet again. I’ve lowered carbs to 150, protein to 180 (I’m going to steadily decrease protein intake–still a little skeptical, I suppose) and fat is increased to 120 (coming mainly from nuts and olive oil). That’s around 2400 calories a day, which will also be steadily decreasing throughout the month. This is what I know will work for me right now, because the last time I cut everything at once, I lost a lot of hard-earned muscle.

On a side note, I’m thinking of calculating .8 grams per lb of body weight, as suggested by 1 Man Island. It’s what I feel comfortable going with right now–and my brother’s wife understands, for the most part. I mean, my bro had been really muscular all through college (which is where I picked up this “bodybuilder” mentality of protein and whatnot. Anyway. . . I’ll report back if any real changes start happening. Thanks again.

A S&C coach friend of mine who has trained a number of high level athletes including a number that have compete in MA/MMA at a high level (including UFC) posted recommendations from his personal experience, the training of his athletes and studies.

A little chat with him revealed he personally has preferred to cruise at 1.8g/kg BW in the past. Something to consider.

[quote]benmoore wrote:
A S&C coach friend of mine who has trained a number of high level athletes including a number that have compete in MA/MMA at a high level (including UFC) posted recommendations from his personal experience, the training of his athletes and studies.

A little chat with him revealed he personally has preferred to cruise at 1.8g/kg BW in the past. Something to consider. [/quote]

Hmm. . . that is interesting and something I will definitely consider. for my body weight (210), that’s roughly 190g, no? I’ve been working with 180 daily for the past week to test it out, so I’m confident–now that you’ve told me this–in that number. Thank you.

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

A little chat with him revealed he personally has preferred to cruise at 1.8g/kg BW in the past. Something to consider. [/quote]

Hmm. . . that is interesting and something I will definitely consider. for my body weight (210), that’s roughly 190g, no? I’ve been working with 180 daily for the past week to test it out, so I’m confident–now that you’ve told me this–in that number. Thank you.[/quote]

(210/2.2)*1.8 = ~170g a day.

Personally I use numbers like these as a minimum I like to hit each day… for me it’s about 162g/day or something. Typically my protein intake might range from 160-220g. If you read the article you will see there is a large range with studies being quite happy with 1.2g/kg.I interpret this as I don’t have to go all anal if I don’t meet my 162g even if I occasionally drift below 140g or so.

That being said… Protein Will Not Make You Fat

It looks like you can go as high as you want providing you’re within calorific requirements and consuming adequate other macro nutrients.

[quote]benmoore wrote:

[quote]MikeMezz wrote:

[quote]benmoore wrote:

Hmm. . . that is interesting and something I will definitely consider. for my body weight (210), that’s roughly 190g, no? I’ve been working with 180 daily for the past week to test it out, so I’m confident–now that you’ve told me this–in that number. Thank you.[/quote]

(210/2.2)*1.8 = ~170g a day.

Personally I use numbers like these as a minimum I like to hit each day… for me it’s about 162g/day or something. Typically my protein intake might range from 160-220g. If you read the article you will see there is a large range with studies being quite happy with 1.2g/kg.I interpret this as I don’t have to go all anal if I don’t meet my 162g even if I occasionally drift below 140g or so.

That being said… Protein Will Not Make You Fat

It looks like you can go as high as you want providing you’re within calorific requirements and consuming adequate other macro nutrients. [/quote]

Yes–since I’ve felt more comfortable lowering my protein intake and upping certain other macros, I feel like I’m not stressing a lot to hit requirements for protein. I feel a bit better that I’m not worrying as much.

Your last comment drives home–I think the reason I was putting on fat is because I was just eating too many calories. Now that I’m on a strict 2,400 daily (strict meaning even if it’s 7 and I reached my goal–no more eating for me!) I wake up very hungry, but I’m noticing slight improvements even at this point. So, perhaps protein intake wasn’t my downfall, but too many calories.

I’ll read that article the moment I can–looks interesting. Thank you for linking it.

Protein that isn’t used will be turned into sugar. IT will go from one form that has a 4 calorie per gram to another forum that has 4 calories per gram. Be it amino acids or sugar, it will fit your macro so just adjust that into your macros so that you are getting enough protein and cut your carbs accordingly.

[quote]ScreenWatcha wrote:
Protein that isn’t used will be turned into sugar. IT will go from one form that has a 4 calorie per gram to another forum that has 4 calories per gram. Be it amino acids or sugar, it will fit your macro so just adjust that into your macros so that you are getting enough protein and cut your carbs accordingly. [/quote]

Well, not really. The energy to digest and convert protein to glucose is higher than carbs, so 4 calories of protein will net you a little less energy overall…not that there is anything wrong with that. Very good for weight loss. You still make sure your body has the nutrients it needs to maintain muscle and you get a boost to your calories burned.