T Nation

Optimal Equipment In a Gym

Hey Guys,

I go to a gym at my University. It is a good gym.
I've been recently wondering though whether I should see at other gyms or I can just stay with it.
I like for me, because of the convenience of accessing it. I just get there on my way to classes.
It's also packed with college girls. This makes for a nice atmosphere. Especially when you see those few who are squatting/dl.

It contains good amount of equipment.
There are:
cables
power racks
Olympic stands/w/ Olympic bars
flat and incline benches
a number of adjustable benches
dumbbells up to 50kg (they plan to add more)
leg press
calf machine
fly machine
reverse fly machine
seated leg extension
lying leg curl
chest press machine

I have two questions.
I. I personally believe the amount of equipment there is enough. So far I didn't find an exercise I couldn't do there yet. I trained for 2 years now. I plan to train there for 2 more. Do you guys think this gym will be enough or should I consider joining a bigger one?

II. They are making additions to the gym as they have some budget. I plan to make a few suggestions. Do you guys think there are certain machines/equipment I should suggest for them to add?
I only can think of decline bench press and if something like this possible chest press machine with adjustable angle so you can do incline, decline, and flat on the same machine.

Thank you for your inquiries.

You’re gym has all the equipment you need to get huge. Saying that Hammer strength brand machines are great

There is more to do other than machines. Do planks and other floor work and weighted lunges.

Dragging a sled would be good.

I love a reverse fly machine. Only ever trained in one gym that has one

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I love a reverse fly machine. Only ever trained in one gym that has one[/quote]

My second gym had one for a long time; I never used it because “machines are evil”.

OP, your gym sounds well-equipped. I would suggest adding a back extension station though.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
That’s unlucky - I think most of the gyms I’ve been to have had some sort of machine that doubles as a pec dec and reverse fly machine.

I guess I don’t really understand the question.

“My gym has everything I need, is convenient and has a great atmosphere, should I change this?”

OP, I don’t want to sound like a douche but I personally would try and wait for a problem before I try and solve it.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

“My gym has everything I need, is convenient and has a great atmosphere, should I change this?”

OP, I don’t want to sound like a douche but I personally would try and wait for a problem before I try and solve it.[/quote]

This.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

OP, I don’t want to sound like a douche but I personally would try and wait for a problem before I try and solve it.[/quote]

I mean that me thinking it contains everything I need is based on my current knowledge. Therefore I come here to ask the more experienced lifters. I was just wondering whether there is something I’m missing that I don’t know of or I might need in the future.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

My second gym had one for a long time; I never used it because “machines are evil”.

OP, your gym sounds well-equipped. I would suggest adding a back extension station though.
[/quote]

We have back extension stations already. I’m sorry I forgot to mention those. Thank you for the tip

There are immensely strong guys out there who would kill for half of what you have available. My only misgivings would be about losing concentration because of the college girl ambiance, you might be challenged maintaining focus…

[quote]elho_82 wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

We have back extension stations already. I’m sorry I forgot to mention those. Thank you for the tip[/quote]

Then you’re set. Sure, there are quite a few nice gadgets out there, but many gyms will be much worse than the one you’re using. As long as training there is convenient, stay.

[quote]elho_82 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

I mean that me thinking it contains everything I need is based on my current knowledge. Therefore I come here to ask the more experienced lifters. I was just wondering whether there is something I’m missing that I don’t know of or I might need in the future.
[/quote]

I get you. To settle your mind though, you have everything you need to become freakishly strong there. Your results will be mostly due to the effort you put in at this point and the atmosphere, rather than the equipment, will be the biggest factor with the gym there.

I’ve been training for 8 years out of a garage. You’ll probably be fine.

You’ve got more than enough. That said, I’ll throw out a few ideas if you’re interested in suggesting some new stuff:

-GHR
-Trap bar
-Prowler (if they have the space to use it)
-Fat bar
-Safety squat bar
-Bands
-Chest-supp row
-Landmine
-Mats
-Kettlebells
-Fingal’s Fingers (lol)

Dip bars if the rack doesn’t have them