T Nation

Optimal Approach

Im on an adapted DC training and Im currently experimenting training chest Tuesday and Friday.
I noticed that if I train it once a week I can hit 100% and if I choose twice I can get to 70% of my total strength and performance.

Want to know the most experienced opinion on which would be the optimal for hypertrophy.

Up

what’s wrong with the DC template that you have to change the chest training schedule? And why change only the chest training?

I am afraid that I (amongst others here i assume) will struggle to give an opinion based on “100% - 70% of your total strength and performance” as that is not a way of measuring intensity that I can relate to…

It is almost scary the accuracy of which this ‘09 poster’ thing works…

[quote]downintucson wrote:
what’s wrong with the DC template that you have to change the chest training schedule? And why change only the chest training? [/quote]

Probably a troll…

There are a lot of threads on IM (and we’ve discussed the stuff in the local DC threads) about how to bring up bodyparts on the 2-way etc, tons of work-arounds/tips for practically every issue one could have with the routine.

The whole question confused me!

[quote]downintucson wrote:
what’s wrong with the DC template that you have to change the chest training schedule? And why change only the chest training? [/quote]

There is nothing wrong with the DC template.

With my Adapted version I can have one extra Back day and one extra Chest day in the period of 14 days, which I felt was not a problem to me in terms of recuperation. Thats why I made(experimented) this adaptation.

But things changed in the second month. Instead of being 100% I started feeling more tired (meaning 70%) during my workouts and could not keep up with the progressive weights philosophy.

And please note the “currently experimenting”.

And how mentally capable are you to not be able to understand Strength/Performance or any shit in terms of percentage?

And what I asked was if the frequency would compensate for the “bad” performance?

up

[quote]Player64 wrote:

I am afraid that I (amongst others here i assume) will struggle to give an opinion based on “100% - 70% of your total strength and performance”

And how mentally capable are you to not be able to understand Strength/Performance or any shit in terms of percentage?

[/quote]

Look, you don’t get it - 100% obviously means 100% of effort… But when discussing things such as effort, intensity or load there are ways in which this is measured - such as 1RM or 10RM.

JUST like when discussing speed in a car, you wont say 1 was going at 70% of the max my car does… as that is YOUR car. You would say x MPH or x KPH.

So where you write 70-100%… yes, that is OBVIOUSLY 70-100% of your max performance… but a max performance of what? 30 reps? 5 minutes with 10lbs? The amount of reps you can get in whilst holding your breath?

It can only refer to intensity of effort in that context, which suggests you are either utilising low intensity (not load) days in a mesocycle, or you are not using full intensity of effort in each workout.

It is a valid point, so drop the attitude.

You should try to reduce volume in each session. I think that can be the main reason of relatively poor performance when training chest 2xw. The other could be performance decrease due to non-training factors, but you would see the same on the other bodyparts’ workouts.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
You should try to reduce volume in each session. I think that can be the main reason of relatively poor performance when training chest 2xw.[/quote]

I do 1 exercise per workout session for chest. 4 warm up sets + 1 Rep pause. The volume is kept to the minimum.

You think that may be the problem?

[quote]Player64 wrote:
downintucson wrote:
what’s wrong with the DC template that you have to change the chest training schedule? And why change only the chest training?

With my Adapted version I can have one extra Back day and one extra Chest day in the period of 14 days, which I felt was not a problem to me in terms of recuperation. Thats why I made(experimented) this adaptation.

But things changed in the second month. Instead of being 100% I started feeling more tired (meaning 70%) during my workouts and could not keep up with the progressive weights philosophy.

[/quote]

Which is why DC is NOT set up the way that you have modified it.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Player64 wrote:
downintucson wrote:

Which is why DC is NOT set up the way that you have modified it.

[/quote]

Exactly.

So you are telling us that when you were using DC the way it was meant to be done, you felt you were always able to give 100% effort/intensity to your workouts. Now that you have altered it, you say you can only give 70% and wonder what you should do.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh?

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

and wonder what you should do.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh?[/quote]

Thats not exactly it. I was asking if the frequency would compensate for the “bad” performance. After all DC is all about high frequency.

But I clearly get your point.

[quote]Player64 wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:

and wonder what you should do.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh?

Thats not exactly it. I was asking if the frequency would compensate for the “bad” performance. After all DC is all about high frequency.

But I clearly get your point.[/quote]

Then to answer your question very matter of factly, No.

DC is all about progression and working the muscles out with higher frequency than a once a week body part split, but still enough recovery time to be able to progress every time you hit the gym.

Your “only being able to train at 70%” is simply due to accumulating fatigue from training too frequently. Stop screwing with the formula.

Do you think that Dante just threw DC together without putting any thought into how it was designed? Or didn’t try every possible variation of it out on himself and his clients to see what worked best for most people? Why would you want to waste time making all of the mistakes needed to find out the optimal program set-up when someone else has already done so for you and provided you with their experience FOR FREE?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

Your “only being able to train at 70%” is simply due to accumulating fatigue from training too frequently. [/quote]

I agree with this.

I dont consider it wasting time as I stated before I was “experimenting”, if I had gotten it right it wouldnt be “wasted” .And I see nothing wrong in trying to move things around to make it fit best for you instead of just blindly following it.

Appreciate the help. Ill get back to the “optimal program”! :wink:

I advise you listen to Sento, and don’t mess with the program, I’m sure Dante would frisbee and 20kg plate in your face for doing so

[quote]Player64 wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

Your “only being able to train at 70%” is simply due to accumulating fatigue from training too frequently.

I agree with this.

Why would you want to waste time making all of the mistakes needed to find out the optimal program set-up when someone else has already done so for you and provided you with their experience FOR FREE?

I dont consider it wasting time as I stated before I was “experimenting”, if I had gotten it right it wouldnt be “wasted” .And I see nothing wrong in trying to move things around to make it fit best for you instead of just blindly following it.
[/quote]

If you had extensive knowledge of why the program is set up the way it is, and had lots of experience doing the actual program, then wanted to tweak some things specific to your needs, then ok, that might not be an issue. You would technically no longer be doing DC, but whatever.

“Experimenting” without truly understanding the program and how your body responds to it is pretty much wasting your time in most cases.

[quote]
Appreciate the help. Ill get back to the “optimal program”! ;)[/quote]

Cool.