T Nation

Optimal Amount of Protein?

I just want to get a little poll going about protein…I know that everyone is an individual (we’re all very special, at least that’s what our mommies tell us), but I want to hear some opinions, personal experiences, etc.

Some experts such as Lyle McDonald claim that there are proven studies stating that even when bodybuilding, consuming 1g of protein/lb of bodyweight is more than sufficient. I happen to work with a bodybuilder who is 205lbs and never consumes more than 225g/lb of bodyweight!

But on the other hand there is an overwhelming amt. of people who claim that 1.5-2g of protein/lb of BW is optimal.
What say you???

I think it becomes more of a dietary issue than muscle building one at some point.

By the way I hope your friend doesn’t really consume ?200g/lb of protein.

I PERSONALLY believe that 1g/lb will be sufficient to build muscle in most people. Maybe very elite levels of weight training can gain an advantage by taking in more, I’m not sure.

But as a dietary nutrient, I think most would agree that to get your daily calories, it’s better to consume protein than carbs. The thermic effect gained by eating protein is measurable.

Obviously, not all carbs, you need (x) amount of carbs a day to be most efficient, but when it comes to getting your nec. cals to grow, most would prefer to go with protein. You also get a longer–fuller feeling with protein so the desire to overconsume is more limited than with carbs–(even good ones)

One of the problems I had when I started out was just plain not eating enough. Sure I always got at least 1g per pound of bodyweight, but that was about it. Even for a 200lb guy that is still only 800 calories a day! I was probably getting only about 2000kcal/day and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why I wasn’t growing!!

Eventually I just threw it out and tried to eat something high in protein everytime I ate along with either some carbs or fat. Even though I knew this it just didn’t register I guess for about 3 months. The last month of my first bulk cycle I put on more muscle than I did the 4 months before that! I guess what I’m trying to say is, just eat. Eat clean and a lot.

I usually consume around 2 grams of P/lb of body weight…sometimes more. And I do this by “accident.” I just eat that much food and like meat, eggs, Low-Carb Grow! etc. I am not saying that is optimal, but as long as I can get away w/ eating that much and not gain fat, I will continue to do so.

But I’d say at least 1 gram/lb for most people. And up to 1.5-2 grams seems to work for most…as long as the other macros are adjusted accordingly.

Danny

[quote]Dboy wrote:
I usually consume around 2 grams of P/lb of body weight…sometimes more. And I do this by “accident.” I just eat that much food and like meat, eggs, Low-Carb Grow! etc. I am not saying that is optimal, but as long as I can get away w/ eating that much and not gain fat, I will continue to do so.

But I’d say at least 1 gram/lb for most people. And up to 1.5-2 grams seems to work for most…as long as the other macros are adjusted accordingly.

Danny[/quote]

Yeah-I’ve also had many days where I’ve consumed 2grams per lb of weight on this bulk or even a little more. Protein has been up to 45% of total calories on some days. I’m wondering if this much might actual be beyond optimal for a bulk because of the highly thermic nature of protein. Any thoughts?

for me, the more the better!
I gained a fair amount of strength during the 5 weeks I spent on the VDiet, and the only thing I can attribute it to is that I had no excuses and no guesswork about how much protein I was eating.
I wound up close to 2 grams/lb, and it worked.

Depends on your goals.

I personally don’t consume meal with less than 30g of complete protein. In 6 meals a day + Surge puts me at 205g of protein. I weigh between 165 and 170 and there are plenty of meals where the protein content is up in 40-45g range (more midday).

Look for a post called “High Protein Intake” as many of us discuss our personal found benefits in this area.

And MJC… stop hopping threads… we know its the same guy.

yeah im a f*&%'n idiot…I mean 225g

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Depends on your goals.

I personally don’t consume meal with less than 30g of complete protein. In 6 meals a day + Surge puts me at 205g of protein. I weigh between 165 and 170 and there are plenty of meals where the protein content is up in 40-45g range (more midday).

Look for a post called “High Protein Intake” as many of us discuss our personal found benefits in this area.

And MJC… stop hopping threads… we know its the same guy.[/quote]

How’d you know I have a panty over my head?

[quote]MJC wrote:
TriGWU wrote:
Depends on your goals.

And MJC… stop hopping threads… we know its the same guy.

How’d you know I have a panty over my head?

[/quote]

Security cameras

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:
I gained a fair amount of strength during the 5 weeks I spent on the VDiet, and the only thing I can attribute it to is that I had no excuses and no guesswork about how much protein I was eating.
[/quote]

Hmm. There’s something to be said for that. I think I’ll keep mine around 2grams/lb. But I will increase my carbs some more. I have been eating the calories I calculated through Massive Eating, but I think I need a little more. With 2grams/lb and plenty of carbs and good fat, I’ve gained 5lbs in 2.5 weeks. I guess that’s not too bad, but I know that some of it is water and not all muscle. From what everyone’s saying 2grams/lb of protein should be plenty, so I think I’ll make the calorie increase from carbs. Thanks guys.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Joe Weider wrote:

Hmm. There’s something to be said for that. I think I’ll keep mine around 2grams/lb. But I will increase my carbs some more. I have been eating the calories I calculated through Massive Eating, but I think I need a little more. With 2grams/lb and plenty of carbs and good fat, I’ve gained 5lbs in 2.5 weeks. I guess that’s not too bad, but I know that some of it is water and not all muscle. From what everyone’s saying 2grams/lb of protein should be plenty, so I think I’ll make the calorie increase from carbs. Thanks guys.[/quote]

I think you can rest assured that it is mostly water weight. 5 lbs of muscle in 2-3 weeks would be fairly astouding.
But you are on the right track with your diet, and if your lifting is in order you should see steady progress.