Oprah's Encounter With Racism

Never mind the super wealthy like Oprah, I’m quite sure most of us here have no idea what real poverty is. I’m certain I have no real understanding of it despite what I read or see on tv and in the news. Just being Canadian pretty much guarantees that I never will.

I don’t see how someone in her person would even want to bitch about something so insignificant. I can understand talking to friends/family about it, but to reach out to the media and make a stink. Idk if this is an isolated pissy incident for her but if I was in her situation, I’d really care less what anyone said to me EVER.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Never mind the super wealthy like Oprah, I’m quite sure most of us here have no idea what real poverty is. I’m certain I have no real understanding of it despite what I read or see on tv and in the news. Just being Canadian pretty much guarantees that I never will.

[/quote]
I don’t want to imagine being too weak to swat away flies. I’ll tell you hwat.

I’m so sick and tired of Oprah. I mean, I get that racism exists against black people…but man, Oprah is such a fudging crybaby. I can’t believe the Swiss govt went and issued an apology to her. Oprah is such a faker.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
This was the purse in question. However, it was only large enough to hold Oprah’s lunch.[/quote]

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I believe Oprah has had the opportunity to experience impoverishment firsthand, though perhaps not of the third world variety.[/quote]

So she would have us believe. Her description of her childhood in Mississippi reads like lines from the old vaudeville routine:

“When I was a kid, I was really poor.”

“How poor were you?”

“I was so poor, my only pets were cockroaches!”

[/quote]

That’s nothin’. We were so poor my mother had to cut a hole in my pocket so I would have something to play with.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
This is now the second time she has been denied her right to purchase over-priced luxury goods: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Paris store apologises to Oprah

[/quote]

I bet you a million internets that she’s ramping up to launch some new designer line of apparel and needs a good story of underdog vs. big retailers to pitch it with.

I think Oprah is racist when she thinks that every time there’s an argument between her and white people its about her race; and not for instance, arrogance, selfishness or such.

[quote]NikH wrote:
I think Oprah is racist when she thinks that every time there’s an argument between her and white people its about her race; and not for instance, arrogance, selfishness or such.[/quote]

I think that’s common for most people and races when dealing with someone of another race. “OH, it’s cause i’m (some race)”

I cant hate on rich people for how they choose to spend their money (im not a liberal) but have some class and play by the rules. If a store is closed, the store is closed deal with it. Dont cry and then try to play the race card.

Bono flying his hat first class on BA is awesome.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I believe Oprah has had the opportunity to experience impoverishment firsthand, though perhaps not of the third world variety.[/quote]

So she would have us believe. Her description of her childhood in Mississippi reads like lines from the old vaudeville routine:

“How poor were you?”

Her cousin, though, tells a different story.

“Where Oprah got that nonsense about growing up in filth and roaches I have no idea,” Katherine Carr Esters said. “I’ve confronted her and asked, ‘why do you tell such lies?’ Oprah told me ‘that’s what people want to hear. The truth is boring.’”
[/quote]
Nevermind. My message is still relevant though.[/quote]

Yes indeed. The federal poverty level works out to about 15 dollars per day, per person. Eighty percent of the world gets by on under ten dollars a day.

When I was in Indonesia I made friends with a Balinese cab driver whom I had hired for a day to take me around Ubud. At the end of the day I paid him what we had agreed on in Rupiah, then tipped him a one dollar bill. He stared at it, wide-eyed, then looked at me with an expression of disbelief.

Then he said, simply, “thank you, my family will eat tonight.”

Being poor in America ain’t like being poor in other places. [/quote]

Nothing like feeding a family for a week for what I’d spend at In-N-Out for a snack on a Sunday after Mass.

I’ve ordered cheeseburgers at In-N-Out that would probably feed a family for a week.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

I’ve ordered cheeseburgers at In-N-Out that would probably feed a family for a week. [/quote]

I’ve been on a low volume diet lately, just got out of the hospital where I was eating nothing for about a week. Stomach is still a little small.

Not one person here has experienced life with no solid floors and holes in the roof. They live on the ground in Suriname.
I am not going to hate on Oprah here because most of us in this country are on antidepressants due to their horrid “upscale” lives in comparison to real third world countries.

talk shit about Oprah AFTER you donate as much as she does to charity.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Not one person here has experienced life with no solid floors and holes in the roof. They live on the ground in Suriname.
I am not going to hate on Oprah here because most of us in this country are on antidepressants due to their horrid “upscale” lives in comparison to real third world countries.

[/quote]

So being a pompous ass is a privilege that can be bought? Cool.

[/quote]

“You can’t afford this purse” = “Not one person here has experienced…”

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

I’ve ordered cheeseburgers at In-N-Out that would probably feed a family for a week. [/quote]

It’s a good thing I don’t live where in-n-out exist. But I do have relatives on the west coast so anytime I visit that is a must visit almost daily.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

“How poor were you?”

Her cousin, though, tells a different story.

“Where Oprah got that nonsense about growing up in filth and roaches I have no idea,” Katherine Carr Esters said. “I’ve confronted her and asked, ‘why do you tell such lies?’ Oprah told me ‘that’s what people want to hear. The truth is boring.’”
[/quote]
Nevermind. My message is still relevant though.[/quote]

Yes indeed. The federal poverty level works out to about 15 dollars per day, per person. Eighty percent of the world gets by on under ten dollars a day.

When I was in Indonesia I made friends with a Balinese cab driver whom I had hired for a day to take me around Ubud. At the end of the day I paid him what we had agreed on in Rupiah, then tipped him a one dollar bill. He stared at it, wide-eyed, then looked at me with an expression of disbelief.

Then he said, simply, “thank you, my family will eat tonight.”

Being poor in America ain’t like being poor in other places. [/quote]

Unless this was in the eighties i’m pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[/quote]

So being a pompous ass is a privilege that can be bought? Cool.[/quote]

Most here would be seen the same way complaining about their order made wrong at a fast food place to people who don’t get to eat today.

Is this really going to become another argument thread when almost everyone in here was in agreement besides one person? X, get over it. You don’t have to rush to defend every single black person in the media. People here are allowed to think what they want. And, what most of us here seem to be thinking is that Oprah has become quite selfish. Just because she has money doesn’t give her the right to break the rules or expect to be treated better than any others would have been. Also, how the hell do you know anything about the lives of those who have posted in this thread? Sometimes you come off as so ignorant and arrogant. You are just so sure that you know everyone’s personal stories.

[quote]J. Prufrock wrote:
Is this really going to become another argument thread when almost everyone in here was in agreement besides one person? X, get over it. You don’t have to rush to defend every single black person in the media. People here are allowed to think what they want. And, what most of us here seem to be thinking is that Oprah has become quite selfish. Just because she has money doesn’t give her the right to break the rules or expect to be treated better than any others would have been. Also, how the hell do you know anything about the lives of those who have posted in this thread? Sometimes you come off as so ignorant and arrogant. You are just so sure that you know everyone’s personal stories.[/quote]

Yeah, well, he is kind off right that with what she has done for people she can afford the occasional cunt move.

However, I still believe that if you even consider 48 k for a purse and feel offended because nobody bends over for you backwards…