T Nation

Oprah's Encounter With Racism

This is what was written on Huffington Post, : "Billionaire media mogul Oprah Winfrey says she ran into Swiss racism when a clerk at Trois Pommes, a pricey Zurich boutique, refused to show her a $38,000 handbag, telling one of the world's richest women that she wouldn't be able to afford it"

What truly sickens me about this whole affair, is that ANYONE would spend such a huge amount of money on a HANDBAG, when so many children will go to bed hungry tonight?

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/oprah-racism-swiss-tourism-offi

I feel bad for Oprah because her life is so deprived of racism that her innate need for indignation is not met.

To be reduced to being indignant because someone does not know who she is and refusing to show her an outrageaously overpriced piece of cloth.

Oh, the troubles of being a billionaire.....

This is now the second time she has been denied her right to purchase over-priced luxury goods: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4618227.stm

Yes, and after she raises a stink about it on her show, all of her viewers are going to show their solidarity by not buying handbags at Trois Pommes or Hermes. That'll show those racists.

1st world problems

Lol

So true. As are most things that people whine about. Oh to be so privileged.

Wouldn't be suprised if this boosted sales for that shop.

Wow, while her show isn't exactly my cup of tea I've always had respect for Oprah. Well up until reading this. She has such a Privledged attitude she thinks the shop should let her in during a private, after hours event that someone else arranged, just because she's Oprah?

The shop handled it the right way. They respected the obligation they made to the party they made the after hours agreement with. If it had been regular operating hours it would be completely different.

Great commercial.

If only Oprah could live for a month with these people, just like they do, without her makeup and her hairdresser and her Hermes handbag and her little Donna Karan skirt and her sandals and her money and her power and her fucking entourage telling her how fucking awesome she is, just live in that little African shack and drink out of a faucet and actually get to know what it's like to have some real problems (not merely "first world problems), perhaps she would come back a bit more humble.

And less fat, too, probably.

I believe Oprah has had the opportunity to experience impoverishment firsthand, though perhaps not of the third world variety. I don't watch the show, since I'm at work, but I've always thought she was okay. A nice person. This level of entitlement from her is shocking to me.

This was the purse in question. However, it was only large enough to hold Oprah's lunch.

I think it is something to do with people who get so big they lose track of the real world. She reminds me of "Bono" U" singer was doing a charity event in Italy when he discovered he had left his favourite hat in London. So he spent $1,700 to fly the hat in a first-class seat from London via British Airways.

So she would have us believe. Her description of her childhood in Mississippi reads like lines from the old vaudeville routine:

"When I was a kid, I was really poor."

"How poor were you?"

"I was so poor, my only pets were cockroaches!"

Her cousin, though, tells a different story.

"Where Oprah got that nonsense about growing up in filth and roaches I have no idea," Katherine Carr Esters said. "I've confronted her and asked, 'why do you tell such lies?' Oprah told me 'that's what people want to hear. The truth is boring.'"

Grew up dirt poor, but dirt poor in America is still better off than a considerable portion of the world, which is really fucking sad.

whitegirlproblems

Nevermind. My message is still relevant though.

Yes indeed. The federal poverty level works out to about 15 dollars per day, per person. Eighty percent of the world gets by on under ten dollars a day.

When I was in Indonesia I made friends with a Balinese cab driver whom I had hired for a day to take me around Ubud. At the end of the day I paid him what we had agreed on in Rupiah, then tipped him a one dollar bill. He stared at it, wide-eyed, then looked at me with an expression of disbelief.

Then he said, simply, "thank you, my family will eat tonight."

Being poor in America ain't like being poor in other places.

Yeah it's something else